Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Who Can Speak From Experience About Comparing Vintage Gear to Modern Equipment?

The drivers were TD-2001 my bad.

The tad mids were td-2001 , was my bad sorry.
    Anyway his first modified everest used JBL 2450 instead the 2425.
    Thats why I remember he converted a 2" to 1" output midrange.
    The result was cool as well. But the tads were better , maybe the
    matching 1" helps-

Quote Originally Posted by vintage-chile
    Ill ask him which exact pieces he used.
    If my memory dont fail he used :
    A) 1601a ( or b not 100 sure) and 4001 with a 2·" to 1" adaptor to the horn. Crossover JBL N333.
    B ) 1602 +4001+adaptor + custom crossovers from classic audio repro.

Marcos bought several units from C.A. Repro starting by 2 Hartsfields repros., you may send a mail and ask there which crossovers fits that kind of project.

The -3db response was never measured with test equipment , but
    the response is clearly better than the original 40HZ or higher.
    The sound of the bass is extremely deep and accurate on both projects .
    I cant say if the 1601 or 1602 is better since are instaled in different setups.
    My own project uses a 1603 , that is enough good but not as the 1601 or 1602.

I have the luck of buying a Tad Ls-10 or something. Like 5 years ago.
    You may ask what is the ls-10. Well it was one out of 10 units produced
    by TAD circa 1979. It consisted on a huge cabinet with 2 x 15" drivers ,
    the first 4001 that's not the same as the new one and a wood horn plus the tweeter. It looked like the et-703 but with a different model.
    Please remind that them were protos.
    I bought them and sold to Marcos , we had the chance to compare this TAD protos . with the modified everests , everyone liked more the Everests . What is noticeable different is that the Everest were more natural and warmth without loosing dynamics. The tad's are slower and the bass extension was poor despite double 15" bass but still were great units . I think with some modifications it would get to nowadays dynamic requirements. What I had the impression were better than the modified
    everest was the top octaves through the TAD tweeters . That tweeters beguilded my ears like no other I heared yet.

I have no experience with modern TAD horns or tweeters.
    But if we only compare the horns on that speakers ( LS-10 and mod. Everest) , I remember the FIM CD of three blind mice catalogues
    track 7 , And I Love You So, singer Yoshiko Goto .On the mods. Everests listening with closed eyes you swear Yoshiko was there even you can ask her to go out on a date . No other speaker , with regular cone mids , electrostatics , horns or whatever you talk about give that sense of presence sometimes is scary ....

modified Everest

Quote Originally Posted by vintage-chile
    The tad mids were td-2001 , was my bad sorry.
    Anyway his first modified everest used JBL 2450 instead the 2425.
    Thats why I remember he converted a 2" to 1" output midrange.
    The result was cool as well. But the tads were better , maybe the
    matching 1" helps-
    Thanks for this precision ; not only the better matching , but also the higher general quality of the driver and higher mass rollof ; somebody in France made use of the 2346-TD 2001 combination from 600 Hz up ( with 2405 and Altec 416 in Onken 360 liters enclosure ) and already reported better results than DD 55000. Prior to this experiment measurements of 2346 + TD 2001 made at " la Maison de l'Audiophile " in Paris showed good linearity ( without any equalization ) from 0,6 to 8 kHz with a slight decrease in level between 600 and 900 Hz , indicative of the loading limits of the horn.
    Another question is the mid bass range : the TL 160X are known for their good LF performance but their relatively high Mms may not help very good definition in this area ( say 500 to 1000 Hz ). At that time I nether heard one but heard many contradictory positions about this ( the mid bass of the E 145-8/150 4H - with a Mms being nearly half of the TAD- was one of the inherent qualities of the original DD 55000 design: could you precise your subjective ( listenin ) impressions in this respect ?

Best regards

Thread Information