Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Who Can Speak From Experience About Comparing Vintage Gear to Modern Equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    EdgeWound, It's about 2,900 lbs, 510HP, and a street car. Pump gas, just a carb, and no NOS. Clevelands Rule!!
    That sounds like too much fun!!!!

I know this is WAY off topic...but here is a really mild..er...amateur rendition...'cause it'll be more hot rod... of my '63 Falcon 2 door wagon back yard basket case in convertible fashion. Money and time is all I need .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

continuing OT

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    That sounds like too much fun!!!!

I know this is WAY off topic...but here is a really mild..er...amateur rendition...'cause it'll be more hot rod... of my '63 Falcon 2 door wagon back yard basket case in convertible fashion. Money and time is all I need .
    The dream is a looker! Now make it reality.
    Out.

Smile and back on thread

Most of the time when I read these kinds of discussions, I think the debate is more important than the conclusions.

Some prefer vintage gear for reasons that are important to them. Some prefer current gear for reasons that are important to them. Some prefer stock, some prefer modified. Some like gargantuan horns, some like Ti domes.

What's most useful to me is when someone comes up with a nuance that I hadn't considered before. All the chest-thumping and one-liners aside, a few well-expressed ideas go a lot farther than all the claims and counter-claims of vintage vs. modern.

Hipofutura's comments on his L100s and tube gear is a case in point. I love my L100s, too, though I've only driven them with vintage SS gear. All the badgering in the world from tube guys would never get me to change, but
    This is what the hobby is about for me. How it makes me feel when I sit in a dimly lit room enjoying the glow of the tubes and listening to "Little Wing" or "Dark Side of the Moon".
    makes me want to experience what he describes there.

Tubes, eh?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    All the badgering in the world from tube guys would never get me to change, ....
    I hear you, nice and clean.....

Titanium, selecting the right combination of components is what makes it work. Just because it's over 30 years old or just because it uses tubes, doesn't make it good. They were making just as much junk 30 years ago as they are today. When I decided to make the leap into tubes amps I did my homework. Generally speaking tubes amps can't compete with good SS gear. I spent just under $3K building my two mono-blocks. That's what it took to get tubes to sound as good as my SS amps. I'm currently bi-amping with a SS amp driving the subs (home designed and built), and am going to build a pair of hi-freq drivers and then tri-amp them with another SS amp. I enjoy doing the research and building the gear as much as I enjoy listening to it. I haven't heard an "off the shelf" tube amp that sounds as nice as my SS amps. That's why I built my mono-blocks. Even the Mac tube gear (vintage or otherwise) doesn't sound as good as a high-end SS amp. The Mac amps cost thousands of dollars, not because they sound good, but because they are beautiful pieces of work and are collectibles. I didn't want to comprimise the sound of my hifi system just to have tube amps. For that reason I decided it was necessary to build a set.

Maybe some modern horns are better than the old Altec and JBL horns (though I liked my A5s better than I liked a pal's Edgar Titans) but I'll take almost any old Altec or JBL horn system over a new direct raditor.

So IMO the best of the vintage stuff is better than most of the new "high end" stuff. I'm talking speakers only.

OK SuperBee, now it's getting personal! I have to enter the fray. I agree with you 100% on the vintage gear. But, the Ford comments are WAY out of line! My 44 year old small block Falcon is just quiverring with the thought of shaming a SuperBee. All in fun!

I hate to be seen as a troglodyte, but I love my L100s, Phase Linear preamp/poweramps, and tube mono-blocks. It's not about money. I just love the sound and the looks. This is what the hobby is about for me. How it makes me feel when I sit in a dimly lit room enjoying the glow of the tubes and listening to "Little Wing" or "Dark Side of the Moon".
    Hey Hipo,

I never met a FERD I didnt enjoy beating the daylights outta.

The JBL L-100s with good tube power is a great combo. It really opens those L-100s up and makes them sound like way bigger speakers. I was amazed.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

SuperBee, check out my falcon when you're bored.

www.hipofutura.com

Just got it back from 18 months at the painters. Don't know when I'll have time to put it back together. Hope I can still find all the pieces!

Don

I don't get this "I don't like Ford" or "I don't like Mopar" and such, it's like 1960s highschool stuff.

I like lots of cars, even BMWs. In the past 3 years I've owned and enjoyed a 2003 Crown Vic H&P (handling and performence package---lower gearing, dual exhaust V-8, handling suspension), a 2005 Cadillac CTS, a 2006 Ford F-150 (six cylinder-stick shift with rubber floor and crank windows---a MAN'S truck) and a 2003 Saab convertible. Right now I own the F-150 and the Saab.

Note though that until they made Dodge pickups "pretty" they couldn't give them away. Whereas people who buy Chevy and Ford pickups don't care what they look like. That tells ya something.

I also like Altec AND some JBLs. And some EVs and even some Klipsches. And Tom Danley's speakers, oh yeah.

Thumbs up Looking good!

SuperBee, check out my falcon when you're bored.

www.hipofutura.com

Just got it back from 18 months at the painters. Don't know when I'll have time to put it back together. Hope I can still find all the pieces!

Don
    Dude

That's a real labor of love. The new paint looks awesome--can't wait to see the reassembly.

Your lady is beautiful, too. Looks like you have a good life.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan
    I don't get this "I don't like Ford" or "I don't like Mopar" and such, it's like 1960s highschool stuff.

(snip)
    This statement contradicts itself. It proves you do get it.
    Out.

Tom, you got it exactly right! It is all about "highschool" mentality and the 60's. This is true of both the car and hifi discussion. Both hobbies are more enjoyable when shared with others. The Ford vs Mopar debate is no different than the vintage vs new debate. There are facts and then there are the opinions. The opinions are by far more important!

I enjoy and appreciate any car that someone has taken pride in and invested something of themselves in. Doesn't matter if it's a Mustang, AMX, or Honda. This is also true of hifi gear. It's all the different cars that make it fun. The last Falcon club show I attended had over 200 Falcons. I was bored out of my mind! A SuperBee is a jaw dropping car! I don't want one, but I have the utmost respect for them. Razzing each other about the type of car or hifi gear is just playful banter.

I've exclusively bought Fords! However, last month I bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Looks like I've lost my "moral authority"!

Hipo

That looks to be about an 11 second 1/4 mile car or so.

Pretty fast for a Ford.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Nice

Extremely nice 62' you have there Hipo. Sweet ride

Thanks guys, I am blessed!

SuperBee, the Falcon is a street car. Never seen a track and probably won't. I'd be mighty dissappointed if it didn't run the quarter in the 10s. The main limiting factor is the 3.89 gears. Ok for the street, but way to small for the strip. Even with street tires it will lift the front tires way up! The Detroit Locker has Cosworth springs - very stiff. It locks instantly. Hit the gas in a corner and the things locks in a straight line. Takes some getting use to.

I de-tuned the motor as it was just too radical for street use. Wouldn't idle under 1.2K RPM. Before I pulled the titanium valves, big carb, and big cam (Reed .744 roller), it was putting out close to 600 HP. Since the last dyno runs I've changed carb and added a 2" open spacer. Should be producing about 510 - 515 HP.

Ok, I'm feeling guilty with all the car talk. We should get this thread back to hifi gear. If anyone wants to talk cars please email me off-list.

Don

Thread Information