Thread: Newbie seeks advice on potential L-96 purchase

Newbie seeks advice on potential L-96 purchase

Hi,

I recently bought a D120F for my guitar amplifier and now my curiosity is piqued in regards to anything JBL. As such, I am looking to upgrade my crappy 1970s Toshiba speakers to some JBLs for my home stereo needs.

I noticed a local ad for a pair of L-96s for $250. No picture to go by, but seller claims they are in "great shape". Seller also claims "same tweeter, midrange and woofer magnetic structure (20 pound magnet) as the legendery L100 but with a 10 inch woofer for tighter bass." True? What's everyone's thoughts on the price? Couldn't find anything on eBay that completed as of recent except L-96 tweeters I think...

Was the L-96 made between 1981 and 1983? If so, these guys are going on 25 years old. Anything I should be on the lookout for when checking them out? I am a newbie, remember. Go easy... Looked at the kit prices for reconing and it looks to be about $300 each speaker (woofer and midrange), so that would be worst-case scenario. Of course, this not including the 044 tweeter, I understand these are NLA .

I plan on using these with either a Dynaco ST-70/PAS-3 setup or an Eico HF-81 integrated and a 15 year old JVC CD player. Moderate volume levels at most, definitely no cranking (well, maybe once in a blue moon ). I plan to listen to "classic rock/70s-90s pop". What is everyone thoughts on this combination? Would there be something more suitable pre/amp-wise to use with these speakers?

Thanks,
    Chris

If the woofer in each hasn't been reconed (or at least refoamed), they likely will need it
    (very commonly sold that way ... "sounds great!") on the mids, pushed in center domes
    are common (and normally repairable), sounds like you know about the 044's.
    Non-functioning L-pads (level controls) and broken grill-work fill out the other normal
    issues. If they're in great shape and just need a refoam on the woofers, it sounds like
    a pretty good deal [opinion] and should work will w/ your components (they'll take more
    power happily if you find it later). -grumpy

Thread Information