Thread: Cork Gasket 20059

Cork Gasket 20059

It appears that JBL no longer stocks part number 20059 which is the cork gasket with self adhesive back that goes between the baffle and a 15" woofer. I've bought tons of these 4 piece sets over the years and now I'm told NONE, with no replacement number available.

Does anyone out there know of a replacement source. I'm looking for cork - not rubber - like the factory original cork gaskets. I tried Orange County and Madisound with no luck. I'm mid stream on two projects and need enough for 8 woofers.

Thanks

I ran into this issue a couple of months back. Short of getting your own die made and having a bunch cut you are SOL...

A simple die for cutting them wouldn't be prohibitively expensive, but I am not sure there is enough demand... especially when you consider there are other gaskets that will work just fine.

Widget

Die

Hi Widget: From an earlier conversation with you I got the impression that you're a fabrication guy by trade or business. From your experience what would it cost to make such a die - One that would be wacked with a BFH or squeezed in a press - one that would cut nice sharp pieces.

I had plenty of these gaskets and never thought it would be an issue. I ended up using them on projects for others and now don't have enough left for my own restoration projects.

I would be interested in having a die made if not crazy expensive. I've been into this stuff for the long haul and have a lot of good long haul years left. When I do restorations I like to have the right stuff for the job. A tube of black RTV won't do it. Let me know if you have any ideas. In my current state of panic I've had visions of cutting them by hand using some sort of template and an exacto knife. A steel die would make it much easier.

Thanx - Rick

Obsolete

Cork Gasket 20059

I can switch to another gasket if you absolutely have to have these MA-15 cork gaskets.

I have exactly 32 pieces left, enough to do eight fifteens.

20059 Heaven

Outstanding !!!! If I can get a die made I'll go into production and pay you back and then some. I for one always intend to use them and I'm sure there are or will be other dissappointed forum members when they order and find them unavailable. I'll be the "Official Forum Cork Gasket Guy". I'm sure they won't go to waste.

I was at a friend's house yesterday doing some JBL-ing and he gave me half of his supply of 32 pieces and wanted to keep the other half. Then we started to go over part numbers and when we came to 20059, I told him the part number was no longer good. He immediatly called Parts to find they were longer available. Then he reached over to my box and took his 16 gaskets back. Not a good day !!

$250 for the steel rule die, and another $200 for the arbor press and plattens to punch 'em out with by hand....

Zilch's prices seem in line with what I have seen in the past. I haven't had a die made in a number of years, but it is pretty low tech and easy to punch out a bunch of gaskets. If you keep an unused sample or two of actual JBL gaskets it shouldn't be difficult to copy the shape and find a similar cork sheeting with a PSA backing.

Widget

Thread Information