Thread: Cheep Tweets?

Cheep Tweets?

I've just gotten a pair of 026 Titanium tweeters and I wanted to ask what kind of experience anyone here has had with them. I don't plan to use them in or around my big box 4320s, but I'd like to put together a set of small box speakers for my office - are these tweeters worth working with?
    (They are 1" dome tweeters made of titanium for use above 3.5k, mounted to a funky plastic housing, according to the only thread that turns up from a search here.)

Thanks in advance!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Y'know, Heather, I've been wondering if a cheap Ti tweet couldn't be mated with the 2404 horn. JBL does similar with other horns in consumer offerings. Think EOS, others.

The horn is two pieces, 1/2" entry horn plus 1-5/16" entry conical throat, and may still be available from JBL Pro Parts:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Dis...dels/2404H.pdf

Should be fun makin' that combo work. Lots of adjustability options to try.

Then, I'd do this, of course:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=10038

I swapped 116H-1 woofs into my Minis last night, which I picked up a week ago for $20 and had refoamed by Audivex here in Berkeley. They play down to 40 Hz nearly as well as 116As (left).

[Don't expect 'em to play stupid loud; the pair'll do 90 dB at 6 feet nicely, tho.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Y'Know Heather, Zilch pointed out a good direction to go but another direction might be to try them where you want and let us all know the outcome.
    You mention "For use in the office"! Unless your office is a sound studio I suspect they might be just fine in many applications.
    Always remember that all systems do not need to meet calculated specifications to sound good where we place them!
    Many here have tried unorthodox approaches with very good results when the room or environment allows somewhat less then perfect NUMBERS!!!!

Try It, you just might be surprised!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Y'know, Heather, I've been wondering if a cheap Ti tweet couldn't be mated with the 2404 horn. JBL does similar with other horns in consumer offerings. Think EOS, others.

The horn is two pieces, 1/2" entry horn plus 1-5/16" entry conical throat, and may still be available from JBL Pro Parts:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Dis...dels/2404H.pdf

Should be fun makin' that combo work. Lots of adjustability options to try.

Then, I'd do this, of course:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=10038

I swapped 116H-1 woofs into my Minis last night, which I picked up a week ago for $20 and had refoamed by Audivex here in Berkeley. They play down to 40 Hz nearly as well as 116As (left).

[Don't expect 'em to play stupid loud; the pair'll do 90 dB at 6 feet nicely, tho.... ]
    Well, I do have an empty pair of 4406 Studio Monitor cabinets - I figured I'd put a new baffleboard on the front and mount the tweeters there - then find some small woofs to make them into 2 ways ... but maybe you are right, maybe I should build something like the mini-monitors you are showing- do you think the 026 tweets were worth $40 a pair?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Actually, the Minis are about the same size as 4406, and use that crossover, so you already have a good head start!

New baffle? Try closed-box 8", maybe. They'll just fit.

OTOH, If I had a pair of serviceable stock 4406 boxes, I'd be loadin' them 4406, tho, using DIY biased crossovers, 115H-1, 035TiA.

I'm not familiar with 026, so you'll have to rely on others' experience regarding those....

Okay - I didn't use the 4406 boxes - I just upgraded my old cheapo JBL G100s that I current use for rear surround speakers.

Once I pulled the existing tweeters in the G100s I've had laying around, and saw how tiny they were, it just made sense to replace them with better "Pure Titanium" tweeters. Just look at them - the 026 Tweeters are huge compared to the original tweeters of the G100. And the sound in the room seems to have opened up with them behind us. At least for movies and such ... I don't do music in 5.1 Mode - I just play tunes through the 4320s in the front of the room.

This will hold me over 'til I decide what to do with the 4406 boxes. Without drivers, crossovers or the port assemblies, its a lot to chase down just to rebuild them. Without any of the parts, it seems like it'd be easier just to find a complete set off epay or Craigs List instead ... or stick my perfectly fine L36 Decades in the back - but they're just kinda big compared to the G100s!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Interesting...Looks like you did a good job

JBL 4645
    WOW, I like the JBL loudspeakers in those pictures, wonderful!

I would like a pair of titanium HF drivers for the JBL control 5’s, is there an honest site that is around where I can buy them?

Zilch

Are they rear-ported?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645
    Zilch

Are they rear-ported?
    My Minis? Closed boxes.

Others are making front-ported vented versions.

I suspect we'll be having a discussion of pros and cons presently....

JBL 4645
    Zilch

In all fairness then, do you rate the ported designs better over the sealed designs? As all my JBL loudspeakers are ported deigns.

That still remains for unsorting.

Think East Coast vs. West Coast bass.

I'm workin' on it for the Mini DIY thread.

[It's been a VERY long time since I've listened to air suspension bass; like 40 years. My Olympus S7's are closed box, but the surrounds are still original, and too stiff to represent anything....]

Thread Information