Thread: 2220 found specs, 4560 cab Plans?

LowFiRon

Smile 2220 found specs, 4560 cab Plans?

Hi,
    Alex gave me a heads up and I found info on both the 2220B & the 4560 cabinet.
    Where could I find plans? Apart from what's in the Library.
    Thanks, Ron

4560 Cabinet

Just a couple of thoughts

Those cabinets show up pretty regularly on eBay and seem to go cheap. Unless you are commited to building your own you might consider waiting for a pair on your end of the country. Four just sold in the New York area for about $80 each. At that price it would be worthwhile shipping them across the country, but I've never seen such a low price before. You might also find them at a local commercial reseller of used PA and SR stuff, but possilby pretty beat,

You also might look ahead and consider the layout of your other drivers. That short horn sets the woofer way back from the front panel. For voice coil alignment you would be commited to a fairly long horn for a mid compression driver. There is an old JBL horn called the 2345; it has a ringing reputation and if you use it you will want to plan on figuring a way to dampen its structural resonances. The Altec metal horns have similar problems.

LowFiRon

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I'll check Ebay. I could repair if they are beat. I like the Edgar salad bowls. I see what you're getting at though. If you push them too far back you have a problem with the top reflections. A Smith Horn might be deep enough. Jammin Jersey might run in to some also. I'm stoked! As I said on the other forum, I might have Dr Edgar help with a J-horn. I have some food for thought.
    Ron

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Ron:

About the ringing horn, if they will be used for near field, You could try the 2312/2308 combo, it has wider dispersion and lower efficiency, but for up to about 20' or less, they sound great.

If by "J" horns You mean rear horns look up the 4520/30's, they also go cheap, also give more bass than the 4560's, but less efficient.

20 years ago I designed a modified 4530, easier to build, and to me, better; If I ever find the blueprints, Iīll post them.

I do not think You really have to go and design one, it is all fairly done, also, remember all these horns are really SR and PA, which suits the 2220's design, but do not have deep bass.

Alex.

LowFiRon

Question Acronym?

SR?
    That would be great, the posting of the blueprints that is! I'm building some Gauss Cetec K18's right now for Eminence Sigma 18's and Selenium 305ti's. It's fun building these big boxes. I'm a 'rough framer' by trade and I'm not used to building 'furniture'. I'm on a steep learning curve with acoustics and audio electric.
    Also finishing some K10's/ 8" adapter baffle for Freddy of the Karlson site. The 2220's are compensation for the boxes. Not sure who got the best end of that deal and I'm having fun with it anyway.
    This should start a new cool project.
    I'd like to tackle some compression horns too. A grinder project!
    Ron

Alex Lancaster

Smile

SR=Sound Reinforcement.

Alex.

LowFiRon

Thumbs up 2220B's

40Hz is pretty good. If they are in a back loaded horn there should be some bass extention.
    These would be the basis of a fairly nice 3way for me. I would get some nice mid range compression drivers and then top them off with some bullit or fostex super tweeters and biamp. That would be the ultimate goal. All used stuff except maybe for the super tweeters.
    Thanks for your interest, Ron

Plans for 4530

if somebody will start 4530 project, ask Guido.

He has a set of plans for this nice parts.
    16 Hz can not be substituted

LowFiRon

Exclamation Ping! Guido

So do your 4530's go down to 16Hz?
    Alex says he has the prints also.
    I'd like a set if you would be willing to share them.
    Some dude on Ebay is selling 4560 plans for 12 bucks. I'm buying a set just to look at them.
    It says they go down to 50Hz which is higher than the 2220B's Fs. Why's that?
    Thanks Ron

Alex Lancaster

Smile

'cause the horn is too short, for what it was designed itīs great, but You are looking at 8 meter long, folded or not, horns for VLF; will they fit in Your listening room?; Also, 2231/35/45 speakers, the 2220īs wonīt cut it.

Alex.

LowFiRon

4530? 4520? 4560

What's VLF?
    The listening room is 24x12x8'high.
    I'm not sure which cab you are refering to.
    I don't think I want the 4560 because it dosn't go low enough. I was thinking back loaded for some bass extension. I like the Look of the 4560. That's it. I do want something that will work.
    I have the 2220B's and those are what I'd like to use. I do not want some 400watt drivers. I want a fairly efficient speaker, driver. I'd drive them with a 30 to 40wt tube amp. I listen to just about everything, from house to opera, from speed metal to show tunes, from hillbilly to Fletcher Henderson, from Son House to Cecilia Bartoli, from Gershwin to Beck. I love Thelonius Monk.
    Also this is a hobbie, not a profession. So if it don't fit, the process might make up for it.
    Thanks, Ron

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Ron:

VLF=Very Low Frequency.

Well, get or make some 4530's; If You donīt go for tube organ or Techno, etc., the 2220B's will work well, hopefully Your amp will have taps for 16 ohms, otherwise thereīs another 3dB down the drain; Also, in addition, You might consider a powered subwoofer like JBLīs 120PII, the specs are kind of screwy, but I have 2 and like them, You can fool around a lot with the controls.

Alex.

LowFiRon

Unhappy 2220B

Oh well, I figured as much! It's ok though. I'll build the 4530's I think. It'll be next year. I'll be grateful if you post your improved version. I'll take some pictures of my projects and post them soon.
    I have the 16ohm taps.
    I knew I had to consiter a sub at sometime. Plate amp and all. One more project in the future!
    Really it's pretty fun, and thanks for the feedback.
    Ron

Thread Information