Thread: Does anyone know a home made formula to make a "goo" to treat cloth/paper surrounds?

transducergeek

Does anyone know a home made formula to make a "goo" to treat cloth/paper surrounds?

I have a "dried-out" surround situation I wish to rejuvinate... How do I create a home-concocted Goo to apply to the cloth surround pleats to keep it nice and pliable, and keep it from cracking in future? Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking perhaps rubber cement mixed with something else? Somthing to "thin" it, or keep it from completely "drying" ???? What do you guys do...

Also, what about a vintage paper cone with paper surround, should I treat the paper edge with something like this? It is now extremely dry and just starting to crack a bit, I want to apply some flexible reinforcing substance to it before putting signal to it... it might split more... Thanks for anything... I prefer to mix up something at home, and not buy anything... but then again, if there is something perfect for this that cannot be approximated in any way... Perhaps I will BTB and purchase something.... Thanks again in advance. Rolf.

OK, just so you guy's know, this is not for ANY JBL speakers, I have some old and funky yard sale Utah and Jensen woofers, (and perhaps anything I might run across in future..) I would like to make them useable, better, or perhaps salable for a few dollars... certainly not worth the absurd cost to recone these.... They are worth perhaps $10-$20 bucks... if I got them in good (goo?) shape to operate. I thought some treatment to the surrounds would prevent cracking of the dry material, that's all. I just want to try them... I am not worried about changing the engineer designed compliance in any way. At this point in time, (about 40 years old) in this condition, (dried out) they are way off that mark, I am sure. I am looking for that sticky-gooey-never-dries-out-for-years, stuff for accordian surrounds??

Rolf...

Hell, I ain't no expert, but I do know that phuzting with the surround is certain to alter the engineered performance/charactersitics of the driver. The compliance is not merely an acoustic "suspension" but is/was carefully chosen by JBL (is "it" a JBL...?) for the intended application.

As with EVERYTHING, the surround (and spider) age. Their compliance and efficiency over the years is different from that when newer.

You didn't mention what "it" is, but regardless, do it right - just get it reconed.

I'm trying to post Tech Notes Vol. 1, No. 3A that speaks a bit to the different surround types, but even tho the file size is within acceptible limits, it is failing. Bear with me...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

"this is not for ANY JBL speakers" OK

" I am not worried about changing the engineer designed compliance in any way. " OK

"certainly not worth the absurd cost to recone these" OK

You might want to look into "Flowable" Silicone sealer. It can be found at an auto parts store. Look for Windshield sealant.

The flowable is thin and can be brushed on, if you are quick about it.

I'm NOT a PRO.

Thread Information