Thread: Recommend JBL for Sansui 8010 receiver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recommend JBL for Sansui 8010 receiver

I've been reading a bunch of threads here, and my mind is blown by how little I knew of the JBL products in their heyday. I got to ask a couple of questions, and I hope they don't sound too stupid.

Is JBL still an American company? Are they now owned by some comglomerate?

When it comes to speakers, bigger is not always better. I don't see the sense of getting the biggest, most expensive speakers if the receiver won't do them justice. I happen to like the older Sansui receivers, decent sound. I have a modern Sony with all the dsp, stadium, hall, surround sound effects, etc, but it does not move me. I like just plain good stereo. I wouldn't mind getting a good set of speakers for my receiver. How important is the programs listened to in the selection process? I tend to favor classic rock and blues, with the occasional classical Mozart. No talk radio, no heavy rock, no rap, and this will be strictly for music, no audio from video sources.

The room will be quite small, less than 10x10. It ain't much, but its my man cave.

What would be a good set of JBLs for me?

JBL is still an American company, owned by Harman international. Most of the consumer speakers are made overseas. I was going to give you a link to harmanaudio.com, but they seem to be down right now. What's your budget anyway?

I'm trying to keep it reasonable, since the receiver was free Hm, 200 to maybe 500. I'm not adverse to paying a little more for collectibility, as I've seem to do fairly well when I buy the right stuff and sell later.

If there is no vintage JBL products in my price range, then the newer stuff might be where I should be looking.

Someone on the boards is selling some 4311s that would be a good fit.

Harmanaudio seems to be back on line.
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...10CH-Z&status=

Quote Originally Posted by BluesForDan
    I've been reading a bunch of threads here, and my mind is blown by how little I knew of the JBL products in their heyday. I got to ask a couple of questions, and I hope they don't sound too stupid.

Is JBL still an American company? Are they now owned by some comglomerate?

When it comes to speakers, bigger is not always better. I don't see the sense of getting the biggest, most expensive speakers if the receiver won't do them justice. I happen to like the older Sansui receivers, decent sound. I have a modern Sony with all the dsp, stadium, hall, surround sound effects, etc, but it does not move me. I like just plain good stereo. I wouldn't mind getting a good set of speakers for my receiver. How important is the programs listened to in the selection process? I tend to favor classic rock and blues, with the occasional classical Mozart. No talk radio, no heavy rock, no rap, and this will be strictly for music, no audio from video sources.

The room will be quite small, less than 10x10. It ain't much, but its my man cave.

What would be a good set of JBLs for me?

You could fit a set of Hartsfields or a Paragon in there.

The 4311's sound pretty good. Who here has a set for sale?

Superbee - quindecima has a pair for sale, to fund a project.

He also has a mopar in his avatar

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=11088

I'm still in the searching phase, so if you want them, go for it.

BTW - I read your "A Perfect Match" thread. Doesn't putting a turntable on a speaker cab like that promote feedback? Of course it would depend on how loud you play it, but can the suspension of the tone arm handle the speaker vibration?

Superbee - quindecima has a pair for sale, to fund a project.

He also has a mopar in his avatar

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=11088

I'm still in the searching phase, so if you want them, go for it.

BTW - I read your "A Perfect Match" thread. Doesn't putting a turntable on a speaker cab like that promote feedback? Of course it would depend on how loud you play it, but can the suspension of the tone arm handle the speaker vibration?

Never do that. I had to temporarily place it there just so we could road test the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    You could fit a set of Hartsfields or a Paragon in there.
    Yikes, I looked those up. They might fit, alright. If I cut out the exterior wall and use a crane or forklift to lift those to the second floor where my music room is, LOL.

Sweet jeebus, those things are BIG. It seems like you would need a massive room to allow full development of the sound, and nice tube amps to drive them. Now my buddy's 9,000 sq ft house in CT actually looks useful for something. His great room is as large as my entire house's footprint, 1800 sq ft.

Yikes, I looked those up. They might fit, alright. If I cut out the exterior wall and use a crane or forklift to lift those to the second floor where my music room is, LOL.

Sweet jeebus, those things are BIG. It seems like you would need a massive room to allow full development of the sound, and nice tube amps to drive them. Now my buddy's 9,000 sq ft house in CT actually looks useful for something. His great room is as large as my entire house's footprint, 1800 sq ft.
    I once heard a set of JBL Olympus driven by a Mcintosh MC 275/C 22 set up and playing a Gi-Normous Fairchild turntable in a mobile home bedroom and it was the sweetest thing ever.

just for fun, I looked up craigslist and searched for jbl for sale. found this

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/ele/171515023.html

S 310 BE for 400 dollars, new in box. Wonder if I can talk him into shipping them to me?

Send him the link that I posted above, maybe he'll come down in price.

just for fun, I looked up craigslist and searched for jbl for sale. found this

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/ele/171515023.html

S 310 BE for 400 dollars, new in box. Wonder if I can talk him into shipping them to me?

Thread Information