Thread: CNC a Lens to Turn a Bullet into a Slot

CNC a Lens to Turn a Bullet into a Slot

I've been getting my machine sorted out and thought that with all those bullets out there, maybe there is call for a lens that can refocus the energy into a more usable pattern for home use.

This is my first attempt at G-code and you can see how I did 11 layers to transform the round 3.125" bullet to a 3/8" wide slot. I'll need to do a bit more (e.g., define the depth of each layer) before trying to cut a piece.

Wouldn't a nice Rosewood lens look good on that old bullet, especially it there were sonic benefit? This is a bottom view looking up.

Hello Toddalin

What are you planning on doing just dropping it on top of the existing 075 phase plug??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Probably to begin with just to see what happens. I may even make it into a "stand" that slips over the tweeter. It would depend on if there is any sonic benefit. I can also try a flare like a wooden horn that would go on the front of the tweeter. In either case, I would keep the length to no longer than that of the slant plate for those with stand-off grills.

I'm intrigued

Interesting concept possibilities.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    very interesting indeed...

morphing

I made a jig that held the bullet horn at the correct angle and then poured fiberglas resin into it to create the slot "wedge" and shaved the bullets down on a bandsaw and polished with a beltsander...rough for sure but it was an interesting fun project for a nightclub PA we were recycling.

After we modded 8 of them, and made 2 RLA style hanging plexi frames, we wrapped the circumference in 2 layers of open foam as used in humidifiers for diffraction effect.

It was a low ceiling and they worked out quite well...the foam kept the dust bunnies at bay and kept the sizzle from parting hairlines.

Ah the 80's...

I needed to order a longer tool (bit) to do the slot tweeters. Meanwhile, I've been teaching myself G-code. This shows a billet aluminum spacer that I devised for an alternator bracket that I invented. I have a guy turn these out for me on a Fadal 4020 CNC machine.
    The photos also show one that I did out of a 2"x4" on my ShopMaster that I programmed using the G-simple software with the G-code slightly modified in Notepad.

Completed the G-Code and was cutting the third level and the bearings in the spindle got hot and bound up due to too tight of torquing and insufficient grease from the factory.

Arggg.

Sorry for the delay. Turns out that the factory never set the "French lock" allowing the nut to turn against the bearings freezing up the bearings. I'm hoping that I can still get this part.

Thread Information