Thread: question about a tube amp for L96

Talking question about a tube amp for L96

Hi All,

I just joined a few days ago... In fact I am about to buy a pair of L96 . They will first be driven by my HK AVR2550. I would like to "taste" to tubes amplifier . I have seen this one : "ASL AQ 1003 DT ( PPEL34 classe A 2w30 watts )". Do you think those 30 Watts in class A will be enough ?

Thanks for you answer(s?)
    ToFKiTaFF

jandregg
    I am suprised no one answered you. Thirty watts per channel is plenty of power in any normal size house. I run mine on an old crown d-60 which is 30 per channel and my wife is complaining before the amp. The amp hasn't complained yet.

enjoy
    John

Perhaps the lack of responses had to do with 1) the uniqueness of the amp, and 2) the
    missing "what kind of music, at what levels, in what kind of room" sort of info that would
    be required for a useful response. Hope this post helps a bit anyway

30 watts (whatever the gain device type) is -way- more than I ever run my L96's,
    but the room is not so big and in a location that doesn't normally
    require higher sound levels. They sound quite nice where they are, as I use them...
    amplification improvements are worthwhile (not lost on these). Room placement and
    putting them on stands help as well (mine are ~18" tall).

-grumpy

Thanks for your answers.

In fact, I did not give too much details as I put a lot of power when alone.. but when my wife is at home, I have to low down the level...And I listen to a lot of different style of music, depending on the day, from Queen of the stone age to flamenco style, via reggae and classic. This is one of the reason I use JBL speaker as I have this feeling that it can match any style...

So, generaly speaking I can consider that 30 watts is enough ! Let's look now for this amp, or any other, I feel I need to listen to a tube amp... at least for the experience...

Thanks,
    ToFKiTaFF!

30 watts is enough

While I have no personal experience with the L96, the specs for SPL (89 dB @ 1w @ 1m) are close to those for my Altec 886a's (10-inch woofer, 10-inch passive radiator, 2-inch tweeter, which I have since learned on this forum was the CTS phenolic ring-radiator type); I can testify that 30 watts is more than sufficient to get very loud, if loud is what you want, and clean, too. A 15w/ch tube amp (an old Fisher receiver) sounded great through these things, so I expect a modern 30w/ch tube rig would be outstanding.

The amp will tend to sound bigger than an equivalent power SS amp.

Depending on the tube amp there may be a difference in tonality at system box resonance . ie a slight rise in response. This is due to the lower damping factor of tube amps.

audioaddict

Tube amps

I have L250s, L112s and L65 Jubals and I have found that the Mac tube amps are amazing on all of them. I also own a pair of Quicksilver M60 amps and they are very good as well. It would be hard to find a good tube amp that didn't sound good with vintage JBLs. The tube warmth is very seductive through the focused and detailed JBLs. Happy hunting, John

avidude
    I drive my L96's with a McIntosh MC240. 40 wpc is plenty. They sound great.

Ted

I am amazed by the still coming question about tube amps. Don't you know that "time has given us experience"? Short: First it was yelling, we stopped that at a point, then the recording started. (Mary had a little lamb) it was Mono. Then came the STEREO, and "NO NO THE SOUND IS DESTROYED". And the tube amps became better. Then came the transistor. People yelled: NO NO THIS IS THE END OF HI-FI!! (Whatever that was supposed to mean) Then come the digital age. People yelled (still is): NO NO THIS IS THE END FOR MUSIC! WE MUST HOLD ON UNTIL WE DIE WITH ANALOG" WE CAN NOT ALLOW THIS TO ENTER OUR HOMES.

What will be the next medium we can only speculate. But that it will be better, I am sure of. Why can't you agree with me in that newer technology in better and forget the old tubes. A square input in a tube is coming out as a snake. Translate that into a bass punch.

audioaddict

Tube amps

Audio is about what we enjoy not about absolutes. Tubes are good and bad. Transistors are good and bad. Ditto analog and digital. I enjoy all good equipment and all good music. My "good" may not be someone elses and vice versa. Anything which brings you closer to the music is better than something that doesn't. There are certain general sound characteristics that are shared by most equipment that has tubes and the same for transistors. This is not a contest; it is an art gallery, and people prefer different styles. I enjoy them all. They both have a place in audio. I just bought the new Classe CDP202 and it is one amazing CD player. I will not however, be giving up my Linn table because I enjoy it just as much. They both serve the music very well. I have often enjoyed going into the Music Hall booth at audio shows and reading Roy Hall's sign " It's about the music stupid". We all need to remember the object is to get more enjoyment out of our music. I enjoy the old JBLs because they recreate the impact and emotion of live music. My preference with them is for tubes somewhere in the chain. I also have Aerial speakers and never would think of using tubes. It is all about what we like. Thanks for getting me thinking.

Thread Information