Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec model 15 ?

Is it possible anyone out here has an extra one of these knobs laying around?

I was able to find the L pad at madisound but the knob is the only thing missing to make these 15s Whole.

Thank you

Gary

Steve Gonzales

Is it live or is it Memorex?

No doubt that if Bill says they were outsourced from RCA, that they are. I know that you at least have the correct woofers. As John says, RCA did make some of the best speakers in the old days. Steve Schell has posted a bit about them here. I found the model 15 to be a good sounding speaker. The 32B/802-8G topend is nice and the LF is good even if it is an RCA sourced driver. The 414-8B looks to be a 12" version of the Model 19's 416-8B and if the T/S parameters permit it to be used, I really think it would improve the 15 overall. I've always thought highly of the the 19 and am in the process of restoring a pair for myself. It is good to hear that the current GPA offerings are that good. Your 15's look very nice, I like what you have done better than the original. Regards, Steve G

Yes Steve, I have had very good results from GPA with rebuilds and parts they have supplied for my 19s and other friends have also had excellent results with the new 515 woofs they are producing.
    I believe but am not certain that the 32B horn could be a direct replacment for the plastic horns in the 15s. I have no complaints how the plastic horns sound with the 802-8Gs but I do question their durability.

Can't seem to shake this feeling that Altec cut alot of corners in the components they used for the 15s and my intent is to see if I can make these even better then original by upgrading to the parts I think they should have used had the corners not been cut.

I could also be quite wrong about this with T/S Parameters and all but I don't have the technical knowledge to understand the differences.

I hope to get some info from Bill at GPA to clarify my beliefs or dispell them all together.

I will post it here when he responds.

I really like my grills with real fabric much better then the old style foam but this was no easy task to get them right.

Gary

Model 15 was a commercial product. I never saw it in the pro league of Altec speakers. I wouldn't spend to much on this model or below.

The 604 Duplex and Models above were the true HI FI line of Altec.

Agreed Convergence but I can't help but think they are just a few tweeks away from excellent. Your point is well taken and my point is can they be brought up a knotch or two.
    Cabinets are nice, HF Driver is excellent, even the plastic horn is decent sounding. So what could be done to make them better?

Gary

So is the Model 14...

For what it's worth, my Altec Model 14 speakers (which are later models than the Model 15) have almost identical woofers. The stamp on the cone is "18-83-034642-01" and the frame measures 13 3/8" across. I see a reference to RCA for my woofers on the GPA website, also.

Richard C.

Hi Rich, I noticed that on GPA site and it appears the 14 & 15 have the same woofers. A few other models also used them.

I might be wrong here but I always thought the 14s came before the 15s.
    I think when I bought my 19s in 1976 the 14s were also in the shop and nick named Baby 19s. I could be off a year or two on this as I did spend alot of time hanging out at the shop between '76 & 80 as a friend was running it and he had a couple of Cutties working there

What is your impression of your 14s? Do you think better woofs would improve the low end or are you satisfied as they are?

Gary

Model 14 vs 15...

Gary,

Well, you would think that 14 should come before 15, but...If you search the Altec catalogs, on this site, you will find the Model 15 in the 1976 "home" catalog, along with the 17, and the 19.

In the 1981 "home" catalog; the Model's 15 & 17 are gone, and the Model 14 is offered, along with the Model 19.

I love the Model 14 - as they are the largest pair of speakers I can have in my living room (without a fight). My 19's are downstairs! I modified the Model 14 crossover to tone down the hi-midrange a little. Now, they are smoother, BUT they are still my Rock & Roll, and Blues speakers. I raised them up 18" and I like them much better up off the floor. The woofers are fine. There only drawback is the foam surrounds! I am not even sure why they used foam, as the cloth surrounds should have worked just as well. The 902 compression drivers, along with the MR931 CD horn is hard to beat (unless you don't like the CD sound!) I also have 3 of the Model 14 studio monitor version - 9842.

I haven't heard any other Altec 12" woofers, so I can't comment on upgrading.

Richard C.

I do not like the foam surrounds at all but other then that the woofs perfom fine. I just refoamed mine but would prefer the accordion style with Altec Black goo.

I am sure there is a major difference as my 15s have the same HF driver as my 19s but it is attached to a chincy plastic bent horn which sounds fine but is not as durable as the metal 811 B in my 19s or even the 32 B Metal bent horn that looks like it might fit right in these boxes.

Also agreed about size constraints. 19s are a wonderfull speaker but tough to fit in most living rooms. The 14s and 15s are much better suited for this.

Thank you for the info.

Gary

Thread Information