Thread: help me fill out en5 cabs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

help me fill out en5 cabs

-just won a pair on ebay would like to know your views on what to use to fill them out.
    -I have seen jbl's reccomendations in the library but you know not all that stuff is easy to source !
    -the baffle is presently cut for 15" woofer -le5 , 375 etc , mid -077 tweet ...
    2220's are fairly easy to source , thoughts ?
    -375's ar not easy to source ! anyway I may want more action from the snare drum than the 375's are likely to provide like maybe a 2108 , also not easy to source.
    -Yeah I know that I would need to make another front baffle for an 8" mid .

Maybe there is an easier away to do this , if you guys would simply list your preferences .

firstly you could mention preferences if cost and availability were no object
    , up to four way

1 bass
    2 midbass
    3 mid /high
    4 tweeter

secondly you could do a list same as the above but using components that are more easily sourced/ less expensive.

Thx for your consideration !

The 2235H is your best bet for a woofer for that box. Beyond that it's all up for grabs. As in most things generally the better JBL stuff costs more. With speakers it is so subjective, I just don't think it is really possible to make specific recommendations.

Good luck and have fun with them!

Widget

I'll look out for 2235H !

ohhh I know that these things can be subjective and around here people can sometimes hold back a little , to avoid confrantation.

JBL reccomended the 2205 -2220 in a pamphlet on the pro site entitled
    professional series low frequency enclosures .

It's in pdf.

I'm thinking that maybe the 2220 -2205 were what they had readily available at the time that booklet was published ?

There is no date on the pamphlet

2235H didn't exist at the time, but you'll find the predecessor extended-bass woofers, LE15A and 136A, well represented in recommended loads for those cabinets here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...56&postcount=6

You were apparently looking at the pro sound reinforcement loads previously. These are the vintage hi-fi loads....

Personally, I think you're asking for unnecessary grief trying to do 4-way; more current 4" diaphragm compression drivers can do the job at a far better price than 375's. For that money, you can have SOTA JBL neodymium drivers with aquaplassed diaphragms....

077/2405's no panacea of a tweeter, either, in my book....

Where might I come by a pair of 2235's ? jbl previously listed the 136 / 2231 as the reccomended woofer . Do You guys prefer the 2235 over the 2231 outright or just because it's more easily obtainable ?

I don't know what's goin on top yet zilcher !

Here's the deal on 2235H's:

They are the improved, better driver.

They do occasionally show up on eBay, BUT their condition, particularly of the surrounds, will be unknown. Sometimes they've been refoamed by lazy idiots mounting the foam on the front of the cone rather than the rear, where it's supposed to go. It costs about $100 to refoam a pair.

They are still available new from JBL, BUT they are pricey.

SO, find a pair of 2225's on eBay, in need of recone (make sure the seller warrants that the magnets have not "slipped," i.e., the voice coil still moves freely and does not rub, and packs them well for shipping), then take them to your friendly authorized JBL Service Center for reconing using factory 2235H kits for ~$312 the pair.

The motors and baskets of 2225 and 2235 are identical.

That way, you get "as new" 2235H's to factory spec for about half the cost of new ones.

Thread Information