Thread: Efficient JBL Speakers

Efficient JBL Speakers

I have heard some JBL speakers that I've really enjoyed such as the JBL112. So I was thinking that I might look for a very good pair to see what might unseat my current main speakers (Cornwalls). I run Mc tubes and was wondering what JBL speakers are highly efficient - say 95 db/W/meter or better - and are well regarded...and preferably not much larger than the Cornwalls? I love my speakers but if I find something better....
    It seems that some of the JBL literature posts efficiency in terms of db/w/15ft and I was wondering if there's a good rule of thumb on converting that into db/W/meter so I can compare apples to apples? Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

There are few contemporary JBL built systems that I am aware of that are that efficient. There are several '60s vintage systems that are but they are not really that much better than the Cornwalls. They are different and you may like them better or not but objectively they perform about as well as the early Klipsch products.

Other than PA speakers I can only think of three fairly contemporary JBL systems that are that sensitive. They are the 4345, 4350/55 and the 4435. These are all fairly large ~10 cu ft systems but are all a significant step up from the Cornwall.

There are several systems from Altec that would meet your requirement. The Model 19 would be my favorite. I am not sure I'd say it is a definite step up. Many would but I am sure there are many who would disagree.

There are also the Altec/JBL based Urei monitors. The 813 is a bit large, but it too would be a significant improvement over the Cronwalls... the smaller 811 is a bit lacking in the lower bass department.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by jcmjrt
    It seems that some of the JBL literature posts efficiency in terms of db/w/15ft and I was wondering if there's a good rule of thumb on converting that into db/W/meter so I can compare apples to apples?
    SPL in decibels increases at the rate of 6dB at every halving of the distance. Therefore a speaker that has a sensitivity of 82dB at 15 feet will have a sensitivity of ~95dB at one meter.

To convert dB/w/15' to dB/w/m adding 13dB will get you in the ballpark.

Widget

If you like the sound of the L112, get a pair! Using the guideline above, the 89dB/1watt/15-ft JBL L112 rating would work out to 92dB for you. Over the twenty-or-more years I've owned my L112s, I've swapped them with my more-efficient 030 system (16-ohm D130/075) which is rated as more efficient but the difference running anything from an old Kenwood receiver, to Fisher SA-1000, Crown D150 and 300-series amps is negligible. They work well with any of them. If you can stand more cabinet height (17" more) with roughly the same footprint (3.75" deeper), you might also like the L150A with same system specs as the L112 but larger box and passive radiators instead of ports.

I never inferred you were asking about contemporary JBL products, I'm just encouraging you to pursue the L112-vintage systems as they are among my favorites, too, and are very affordable compared to icons such as the L300 or even L200 series larger boxes. Of course I now nothing compared to others on this site.

Oh, I guess I should add I'm not a sock puppet and have never sold a JBL product in my whole life!

I am really looking for vintage type speakers. My experience with new speakers is that they tend to be TOO detailed and I tire fairly quickly of listening to them. I like a little warmth with my music. I'm not talking mushy now from old XOs as I at least recap if not go for a modern design in the XO with vintage speakers.
    Can you tell me more about the UREI 813 monitor? That sounds like an interesting recommendation but I haven't heard it or about it.
    The L150A would be interesting except I also want something that can live pretty close to the wall so a passive radiator doesn't work well with that (I forgot to mention that when I first posted). The Corns do live well on a wall.
    The Altec Model 19 is one that I have considered and if I get a chance to purchase a decent set nearby (I'm not much for shipping speakers as they tend to get destroyed), I may go for it just so I can personally check it out on my system in my room. I've also considered an Altec coaxial based speaker with something like the 604 or 605 series drivers.
    I do like the JBL112 but it doesn't best the Cornwalls. It just gave me a good taste of the JBL sound and I was wondering what else out there might be better than what I currently have. I love my Corns but if there's better sound to be had I'm willing to listen.

Thread Information