Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using two pair of L100's.

Agreed, but personal preference notwithstanding, there should be no harm in making anyone ignoring the fundamentals aware of them.

It's also apparent from reading these forums for several years that there's plenty of folks that don't know stereo presentation from a hole in the ground.

I don't consider this an elitist posture; the pursuit is largely pointless without, minimally, an appreciation of the basics of what it is and how it works....

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Agreed, but personal preference notwithstanding, there should be no harm in making anyone ignoring the fundamentals aware of them.

It's also apparent from reading these forums for several years that there's plenty of folks that don't know stereo presentation from a hole in the ground.

I don't consider this an elitist posture; the pursuit is largely pointless without, minimally, an appreciation of the basics of what it is and how it works....
    Having spent a bit of time on this site myself, I've observed that time and time again, that, while a person might possess critical knowledge of the technical aspects in the science of sound, they sadly lack the ability to convey that knowledge with a friendly tact. The value of possessing this trait is often more valuable than the technical information itself. If you don't respect the teacher, you don't respect the message, no matter how technically valid the information is. Another point I'd like to share is that we all start somewhere. One cannot put a value on seeing and hearing for oneself. I know this to have been true in my personal journey, and it, along with some good pointers, allowed me to better understand the "why?" when confronted with a problem and how to fix it . People will do as they will. If they have "the bug", it will lead them to pursue their own "audio nirvana" until they've reached their own idea of it. There are some that have every gadget known to mankind to refine and push the absolute SOTA further. More power to them. But, this is the Lansing Heritage site, not the Million Hour R&D, Aquaplas Everything, Two Inch Thick Non -Resonant Trapazoidal Enclosure, In The Completely Dialed In, The Acoustically Perfect Room, Site. While I admire the concept and the willingness to pursue that ideal, many people don't have to achieve that, want that, need that or even have a clue of how to get there. JBL produced alot of models. The constant put-downs of so many of those models is tragic. Whatever model trips your trigger, I'm happy for you, really. If it is multiple pairs, fine, if you are happy, I'm happy for you, you love JBL's too. Sorry for being so long-winded. JBLRaiser, you are going to have to experiment for yourself. Listen for yourself. Side by side, inverted stack, one in each corner, etc., etc. I've got two pair side by side and love it personally, it's as simple as that. Does that mean that in the eyes and minds of some that I'm wrong from an absolute technical standpoint, I don't really give a flying F**K!, I like it and that's what matters. I've heard examples of the supposed SOTA systems and they didn't do a thing for me, furthermore, the people that were with me concluded the exact same thing. Different people, different tastes, same conclusion, so that tells me that all the technical know-how and $$$ in the world cannot guarantee breathtaking results either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Having spent a bit of time on this site myself, I've observed that time and time again, that, while a person might possess critical knowledge of the technical aspects in the science of sound, they sadly lack the ability to convey that knowledge with a friendly tact. The value of possessing this trait is often more valuable than the technical information itself. If you don't respect the teacher, you don't respect the message, no matter how technically valid the information is. Another point I'd like to share is that we all start somewhere. One cannot put a value on seeing and hearing for oneself. I know this to have been true in my personal journey, and it, along with some good pointers, allowed me to better understand the "why?" when confronted with a problem and how to fix it . People will do as they will. If they have "the bug", it will lead them to pursue their own "audio nirvana" until they've reached their own idea of it. There are some that have every gadget known to mankind to refine and push the absolute SOTA further. More power to them. But, this is the Lansing Heritage site, not the Million Hour R&D, Aquaplas Everything, Two Inch Thick Non -Resonant Tapazoidal Enclosure, In The Completely Dialed In, The Acoustically Perfect Room, Site. While I admire the concept and the willingness to pursue that ideal, many people don't have to achieve that, want that, need that or even have a clue of how to get there. JBL produced alot of models. The constant put-downs of so many of those models is tragic. Whatever model trips your trigger, I'm happy for you, really. If it is multiple pairs, fine, if you are happy, I'm happy for you, you love JBL's too. Sorry for being so long-winded. JBLRaiser, you are going to have to experiment for yourself. Listen for yourself. Side by side, inverted stack, one in each corner, etc., etc. I've got two pair side by side and love it personally, it's as simple as that. Does that mean that in the eyes and minds of some that I'm wrong from an absolute technical standpoint, I don't really give a flying F**K!, I like it and that's what matters. I've heard examples of the supposed SOTA systems and they didn't do a thing for me, furthermore, the people that were with me concluded the exact same thing. Different people, different tastes, same conclusion, so that tells me that all the technical know-how and $$$ in the world cannot guarantee breathtaking results either.
    Thanks Steve, Well put.
    Maybe I'll try two pair of L300's side by side or 4343's or whatever will loosen my shingles when I'm playing Petty ,Van Halen or Jimi!!! jblraiser

Steve Gonzales

2 pair

Thanks JBLRaiser,

I want to clarify my long-winded point. Using two pair is not recommended here. There are some valid issues to consider. I do it because it works for me and the ill effects don't outweigh the good in my case. You will find that the major players here on this site have sound technical advice that is not to be taken lightly. Unfortunately, alot of it is lost because of the way it is delivered, and in all fairness, I have found that communication via typed word is a very poor way of getting to know someone as a person. Good luck with the quad L100 deal, Steve G.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Thanks JBLRaiser,

I want to clarify my long-winded point. Using two pair is not recommended here. There are some valid issues to consider. I do it because it works for me and the ill effects don't outweigh the good in my case. You will find that the major players here on this site have sound technical advice that is not to be taken lightly. Unfortunately, alot of it is lost because of the way it is delivered, and in all fairness, I have found that communication via typed word is a very poor way of getting to know someone as a person. Good luck with the quad L100 deal, Steve G.
    Same here, the 'ill' effects don't outway the benefits in my case.

P.S. The suggestion to do the dual L100's came from a technician who repaired JBL's for ten years before opening his own shop 30 years ago and troubleshoots and repairs any all vintage equipment ever made. I have never seen him stumped. His philosophy is much like yours, if it sounds good to you, what good does anyone else do to make jest of it. "Happy Hearing", JBLRaiser

Damn I am sorry I missed this one. I used to have a Dynaco ST400 and L100 set-up. Had a great time with it. Every once in a while I would run the L100'S with a pair of L25 Prima's. It was great fun. Give it a whirl just watch the L100's in parallel, the impedance get's low, close to 4 ohm, in spots so if you have the optional fan installed run it.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser
    Same here, the 'ill' effects don't outway the benefits in my case.
    And those "benefits" would be??? :dont-know

"Jest?" Where?

Steve Gonzales

Personal Preference

Zilch, when are you going to learn the most basic concept in life?. Not everyone needs what you insist is perfect ideal. They don't need to know how you feel about it either, at least to the point that you've got to drive it home with a constant "you're an idiot and I'm not". BFD Bud. The science will either convince someone on it's own merit or it will not. The real tragedy here is that the smartass comments overshadow the science. Think about it. I've noticed that over time that as your technical understanding has grown, your ability to be humble has decreased. Get those two going in the same positive direction and you'll really have something IMO. Good luck with that.

Thank you, Steve.

I won't be the first to give it up here, of course.

Let Raiser answer the question, and we MIGHT have a rational (and, perhaps, illuminating) discussion of substance.

He now acknowledges there are "ills" associated with his setup. Let's find out what the perceived benefits are.

Who knows? Raiser's guru technician's theories might alter my own perspectives and preferences....

Back in the mid 70s Quad was the way to go and I had more cash then knowledge.
    I bought two pairs of Altec 19s for my large basement play room.

Very bad idea. I then tried two pairs of large Advents and again Bad Idea.

Later I tried two pairs of Yamaha NS 1000Ms and still could not find the right sound. Quad went out the door but all the speakers remained.
    My system has always sounded best with one good set of speakers hooked up per room.
    I never knew the technical reason why but I have always known 4 of any speaker is two too many.
    I have messed around with stacking the Advents and with surprisingly good results but these are the only ones I was happy with.

In your room I would be quite happy with a pair of L 300s and a wife who could drape the glass and soften up all the harshness surrounding and destroying your tunes.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Damn I am sorry I missed this one. I used to have a Dynaco ST400 and L100 set-up. Had a great time with it. Every once in a while I would run the L100'S with a pair of L25 Prima's. It was great fun. Give it a whirl just watch the L100's in parallel, the impedance get's low, close to 4 ohm, in spots so if you have the optional fan installed run it.

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, the optioal fan is installed.

I've never tried running two pairs of speakers at the same time, but I have read a few accounts from people that extolled the benefits of doing so. Apparently this was really popular back in the 70's. Here is a review that I read for the L100 at audioreview.com that mentions it. The reviewers name is dave. It's the last review on the page.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...x.aspx#review0
    If it sounds good, it is good. - Duke Ellington

Running dual "Large Advents" was quite the rage for a brief time back then too. I suppose if you like the '70s sound it might appeal to you. If you like a more contemporary sound where the ideal is an attempt at a point source or line source with a more neutral tonal character you may not.

As always you really have to listen to these things with your own gear in your room to decide what is best for you.

Widget

I think doubeling up on pairs of identicle speakers was a direct result of Quad systems that never really made it but lots of us gave it our best shot. Many of those quad systems had four Lg. Advents, 4- KLHs or four L 100s and when quad died the speakers lived on and ended up in stereo systems.

I guess after all my experimentations with all the different pairs I came to one conclusion I was tring to bring to this thread.
    2 pairs of L 100s does not equal 1 pair of L 200s or L 300s.
    If your room has the size and you need more SPL then buy a bigger pair of speakers and be happy.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by BassHog
    Apparently this was really popular back in the 70's. Here is a review that I read for the L100 at audioreview.com that mentions it. The reviewers name is dave. It's the last review on the page.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...x.aspx#review0
    80% of the "reviewers" on that site gave L100 an overall rating of 5 out of 5; several purporting to be "audiophiles."

I assume you are quoting and citing "dale," not "dave," at reviews #21 and 27, who further states that "Stacked in parallel, their independence drops to 4ohms," and that the "base gets tighter."

I know, I'm a BAD person....

Thread Information