Thread: Kinda JBL related, sort of...

Charley Rummel

Kinda JBL related, sort of...

Hi, everyone:

Well, it's related to JBL since I will be using mine to monitor my project.

Here's my question: Does anyone know of a PCI card which would provide 4 or more channels of input to a computer, as opposed to the usual 2-channel input found on most sound cards?

Regards,

Charley

Hey, Charley...

Not knowing what the scope of your project is, you may need/want to use a peripheral multi-channel mixer - many of which now have built-n CD-R's - and then move your wave files (or whatever...) over to the PC via CD (or USB flash sticks).

There are then quite a few very good multi-channel digital mix programs for the PC.

But again, I'm off-topic, if this won't address your intended scope.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Charley Rummel
    Hey, Bo:

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a number of 4 channel reel to reel tapes of bands I recorded many years ago and would like to convert some of them to digital and make remixes. It looks like I'm headed towards a digital recorder/mixer of sorts, but I'd like to do a cheaper experiment first before getting into any new purchases.

regards,
    Charley

Hey, man...

Cool.

I did the same with some measly two-channel originals of my departed but highly musical parents stuff a few years back, but didn't face the multi-channel bogie. Hmm

Me thinks that eBay could be your friend, anyway. You might find one, get it for your needs, and then sell-it-onward with little additional wear-and-tear (knowing you... ). Maybe even with manuals! Thinking that, if you buy it right, and keep it "pretty", you could get good value on the resale. Look at it as a rental.

I think with the holiday season coming on, there might be more liquidity in a lot of things, on the ol' eBay.

Anyway, let's see if some of our smarter Forumites know of a multi-channel card...???
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Charley Rummel
    Ebay sounds like a good place to start - Thanks for the advice, Bo !

Hello Charley

Can't you bring them in 2 at a time?? You could then set them up in four tracks and do what you want. I know in Cool Edit I have a 4 track stereo mixer option so I can bring in the tracks in pairs/stereo and assign them in the mixer channels. Just a thought I am sure there are plenty of programs that will let you do that. Might take a little longer but once they are on the hard drive you can do what you want.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 11-06-2003 at 08:21 PM.

I have not tried one of these myself, but it looks nice:
    http://www.tracertek.com/wt192m.htm

Charley Rummel
    Hi, everyone:

Thanks for all your input (pardon the pun ). Don C, this device looks really cool! I'm gonna run it by the boss (aka the wife) and see if I can get one for Christmas or something....

Regards,
    Charley

Carddeluxe PCI may interest you

I own one of the above and love it. They are pricey at 399.00 but ranked as one of the best. I understand you can install multiple cards and daisy chain them for 2-4-6-8 inputs etc.

Here is a link.

http://www.digitalaudio.com/digitala...187&PubID=4401

I got it to transfer vinyl to cd.

Ken

Charley Rummel
    Hi, Ken:

This looks like a cool possibility as well! Thanks for sharing the info with me (and the LH community !

Regards,
    Charley

Here's a site with a review of a cardeluxe card that I enjoyed reading. I could not make the direct link work, so scroll down this page and click on the digital audio labs card deluxe review. The rest of the site is fun to explore too.
    http://www.funkyfresh.com/toys/index.html

CardDeluxe

Hey, Ken...

Thanks for that! I've searched for that since you first told me about it so many months back, but never could find it! Must've botched the search string!

Santa Claus is coming to town...
    Last edited by boputnam; 11-09-2003 at 12:06 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information