Thread: Touch up JBL Grey paint?

Touch up JBL Grey paint?

Tried doing a forum search but just got too many results for grey paint, so forgive a new thread. Looking for a colour code or source for a bit of grey touch up paint for the front edges of my 2397 horns, which were improperly placed down on their front edges prior to my ownership. Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

I really doubt there is a color code. JBL seems to have used a half dozen different shades of gray over the years. Some are lighter and others darker, some have more of a bluish tint and others a bit more green or brown.

I have a pair of 2397s in need or a similar touch up.

Widget

Would look pretty nice if you sprayed them to match the C40 cabinets and then grained the finish

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Would look pretty nice if you sprayed them to match the C40 cabinets and then grained the finish
    The C40s could stand to be refinished but with their unusual and possibly unique factory piano black finish I am loath to alter them despite the condition issues. Same with the 2397s which have sequential serial numbers.. I would touch them up if I knew I had a very close colour match, but I would be reluctant to strip the factory grey even if I could mask off the badges. I've kind of gotten used to the less than perfect aesthetic Not to mention my skills for that kind of work are mostly absent, so I would have to engage a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Harkness View Post
    The C40s could stand to be refinished but with their unusual and possibly unique factory piano black finish I am loath to alter them despite the condition issues. Same with the 2397s which have sequential serial numbers.. I would touch them up if I knew I had a very close colour match, but I would be reluctant to strip the factory grey even if I could mask off the badges. I've kind of gotten used to the less than perfect aesthetic Not to mention my skills for that kind of work are mostly absent, so I would have to engage a pro!
    Most body-shop paint supply stores have the ability to scan a color and produce a paint mix to match. I've had them supply touch-up bottles with brush, to normal spray-cans of a custom color or, in my case, an older stock BMW color. Here I pay around $15 for a custom-mix touch-up bottle to around $25 for a rattle can of the same. Might be worth a try. Just take the horn into them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Most body-shop paint supply stores have the ability to scan a color and produce a paint mix to match. I've had them supply touch-up bottles with brush, to normal spray-cans of a custom color or, in my case, an older stock BMW color. Here I pay around $15 for a custom-mix touch-up bottle to around $25 for a rattle can of the same. Might be worth a try. Just take the horn into them.
    That is a cool service. I have never heard of that.
    Do you know what type of paint they use? It would need to be a single stage paint which is unusual these days.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is a cool service. I have never heard of that.
    Do you know what type of paint they use? It would need to be a single stage paint which is unusual these days.
    Single stage generally mixed so I don't need a clear-coat to make if glossy for touch-up work, even for metallic paints. My shop knows how to do it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I will look into that and see if that kind of service is available here in Vancouver, great suggestion.

Sherwin Williams will also color match and mix the paint, single stage. I'm sure much less than automotive paints, which I've seen cost hundreds of $$ per quart. I did this for a pair of 2405 alnico's, perfect match.

Thread Information