Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL VORR system

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    You build it and post pictures, we'll look at them.
    Cool. I think you're might have already seen them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Show the killer grilles you made for 'em, Hamilton!!

Giskard already posted the curve on Hamilton's box tuning in this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8365

[I THINK he liked it. ]

If I've got the T/S parameters right (below,) LE14H-3 likes even a smaller box just fine. Same for LE14H-1, no?

And LE14A reconed with black Mogami LE14H-1 kits (now once again available, folks,) the same?

They're rockin' pretty good in those little 2.0 cuft. L55 cabinets I retuned to 30 Hz, above....

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    Cool. I think you're might have already seen them.
    Yeah but they look real nice.

Yeah but they look real nice.
    Well, I appreciate that but I'm still disappointed on how I was not able to retain any veneer in front of the port tubes; there was nothing else I could do because of a communication error with the cabinet shop. (from now on I will be cutting my own panels)

Anyway, here's an inside pic showing the rear 2426 support along with the two-part epoxy I used to secure the tubes. The insulation is industrial grade stuff - super dense and very *itchy*.

The grill frame for these boxes is on the right; the other two are for B380 clones and the 2118J(2)/2426/2342 center speaker.

But, I know you're not into DYI stuff so.....I think we've seen enough of this nonsense.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    But, I know you're not into DYI stuff so...
    Who told you that?

Ooops, I thought you kinda snickered at DYI...sorry 'bout that. I should have remembered better because you recently posted pics of that beautiful subwoofer cab.

Obsolete
    I only snicker at some people's DIY because there is only so much goofiness a person can take with a straight face before cracking up laughing. You guys on this forum are actually pretty tame.

I've been "DIY" since Junior High. Rat Shack components started it all for me. Was that ever some awful sounding stuff. Then I got home schooled by a JBL Rep.

Rat Shack components started it all for me. Was that ever some awful sounding stuff. Then I got home schooled by a JBL Rep.
    You are being kind with the word "awful". Lower grade components would be tough to find.

Remember in the early 70's when they started putting aluminum dust covers on their guitar speakers to sucker in the wanna-be's.

"Realistic"

lol

Alright I'm gonna do it ! sort of .

I'm gonna build some le14 sub/bass enclosures using Zilch's citation 7.4 recipe and ,for the time being , plop L100's on top and cut some of the bottom out of 'em .
    Cause you know how L100's are they sound kind of overfull at times , not muddy , overfull . I'm reminded of those cartoons where the speaker jumps up and down , that's what an L100 reminds me of .

Later on I may do something else to top off the le14's , maybe a horn maybe 4313's . Right now I have l100's and le14's wouldn't break me so I'll take the path of least resistance .

Got any ideas on the frequencies to cross these things over ? About how much will I have to run the subs down ? they will be more efficient no ?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Zilch's citation 7.4 recipe
    And Madrigal handed over the recipe to Zilch when?

Well, here's how I see things. Zilch has been hammering away at trying to make this forum his number one source of everything in his life for several years now I am finally willing to let him have it. He really NEEDS this forum whereas everyone else kind of just comes and goes.

He's come a very long way since becoming a member and no one else here can touch him as far as learning so much in such a short amount of time, at least no one who would admit to it it seems. I was surprised at a few of his recent posts, they highlighted a few gapping holes in the knowledge base but then another very long term senior member shocked me with a similar revelation a week or two ago with respect to himself. Oh well. I'm pretty easy to fool since I take people at their word and sure as hell don't put much time and effort into the "politics" of interpersonal relationships.

Regardless, you all continue to think that Zilch has come up with all this stuff and have a great day ok?

Zilch - feel free to run rampant, it's all yours. I won't be "checking" any of your work going forward.

BTW, with respect to Madrigal and Citation, here's something pretty funny - http://www.hififraud.com/

No Zilch was not the originator the citation design , but he has experimented with it , using le14 variants, more than anyone else I know.

That is useful knowledge that I may benefit from.

I was surprised at a few of his recent posts, they highlighted a few gapping holes in the knowledge base..
    Well, it's hard to remember it all. Sometimes I've got to think it through again and again. Somebody wants to use 2235H as a subwoofer, there's stuff gotta be considered. It ain't a slam dunk....

Regardless, you all continue to think that Zilch has come up with all this stuff and have a great day ok?
    I believe everybody understands and appreciates that I don't lay claim to much other than actually doing stuff and documenting what may be of interest to others here, largely in hope that they might be encouraged to try some of it, as well as pursue their own ideas, themselves. That's where the FUN is!

There's more to be accomplished with a couple of plumber's test plugs and an inexpensive RTA than many might otherwise imagine....

Zilch - ... I won't be "checking" any of your work going forward.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It ain't a slam dunk....
    For some it is easier than others. Knowledge and experience facilitate implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    No Zilch was not the originator the citation design , but he has experimented with it , using le14 variants, more than anyone else I know.
    And that has been my point all along and why this forum is so terribly boring. One or two guys, neither real stellar in depth and breadth of experience are all that post anything remotely resembling anything of real substance here (DIY projects don't count, they are nearly always interesting on this particular website and frankly, there should be a whole lot more of them now that we have the category). They definitely get A's for effort but what is everyone else doing? Are they simply too busy with everything else? We've got six posts now from someone who is actually quite interesting and that's it. That works out to exactly one post per year that I've been here. I'd classify that as a real big drought!

I've read those 6 posts and they were sweet ! As I understand it he doesn't come around more often because he's afraid he'll get "mugged" Or he is otherwise too busy ?

I also post on speedtalk from time to time . Some keenly intelligent individuals post there on a daily basis , whether or not they are pestered by neophytes .....

So in lieu of a more "interesting" individual I am prepared to ride this out with the ones who will advise me .

Now you know that's not true. I remember when you enlightened Zilch on the L200t3 and its crossover, and he thanked you for that. And now I'm thanking you for that because it was the basis for my DYI's, and I could not be more pleased with their excellent performance.

Also I'm very aware of all the links you've posted regarding catalogs and speaker .pdfs. Your knowledge of this stuff is almost frightening, if not at least intimidating.

But anyway, we talk to Zilch because he talks to us...it's not anymore complicated than that.

I do have a question regarding a DYI SR4722X, Giskard, if you're interested.

Thread Information