Thread: Multiple Soundcards Sync on Cakewalk...

Charley Rummel

Multiple Soundcards Sync on Cakewalk...

My son's friend is attempting to record live music on a computer. Easily done. But, with two I/O devices it gets tricky:

Can anyone offer advice on correcting syncronization on multiple soundcards? In this particular instance we are using Cakewalk Sonar 4 on a 3.2 gig P4, tons of RAM, with a modified M-Audio Quattro 4-in, 4-out (clock function untouched) USB interface, and we want to add two extra tracks via Soundblaster Audigy card, which is already on board the computer. Getting 6 tracks to record simultaniously works, but this results in the products of the two devices being out of sync with each other; as time goes on, the two products become more out of sync.

Any advice on how the sync problem can be corrected, other than investing in a 6 or 8-in interface?

Regards,

Charley Rummel

What you're describing...

is a latency problem. These will differ with the different implementation of the drivers. Even if you're using ASIO, this probably won't help. Given that you're trying to use 2 different vendor's products, I also doubt you'll get much help from them either.

I'd suggest you dink around with the latency settings, if there are any. It will be trial and error. Also, you might want to try some of the recording and music boards and try there.

Cheers,

David

Hi Charley,

See this eBay sale .

- I believe the best advice I can offer you is to buy this fellows pdf file that is dedicated to sorting out these sort of problems .

- I friend of mine has bought this fellows pdf file and he swears by it. - Perhaps, the most important part of the purchase is that this fellow will respond to a few questions . For $ 10.00 , you should be able to find out quickly, if what you are trying to do is feasible .

- I was going to answer your query with a reply that stated that you need a "Master Clock" to synch both cards up to. This approach is common ( and has been for decades ) in studios that have a lot of computerized equipment, as well as several multitrack machines. I've known some facilities that fed this Master Clock into all 8 rooms. I'm not talking about SMPTE, I'm talking about basic time.

- If the cards don't have the capability to take an external synch / then I think you're beat. But I'm just speculating / best to ask a fellow like this guy who purports to have all the answers .

- Differing latency ( as was pointed out ) between the two cards DACs will also be another problem .

Thread Information