Thread: Speaker suggestions to go with Altec A-7's ?

Speaker suggestions to go with Altec A-7's ?

I am hoping that someone here can recomend speakers to go with my Altec A-7 Voice Of The Theater cabinets. I currently am using my Altec's in a 5.1 home theater configuration. I am looking to upgrade my center channel that is a Polk CS100 and my rear channels that are Advent Marbles. I use one pair for each rear channel. I am looking for speaker that do not take up tones of room but that match tone quality and the dynamics of the A-7's. I have been looking for speakers to go with the Altecs for about 10 years now. JBL came out recently with project array series but $3,000 - $3500 each is alittle more than my pocket book can handle right now. I am looking for a affordable alternatives that give me the best bang for the buck. And for speakers that can keep up sonically and performance wise.

I hope someone here can help

pelly3s
    to be a correct match the only answer is more A7's or build something smaller that is the same style

altec 604, 605

Hello,

I suggest you use Altec Duplex like 604 or 605 series.

Tom

I would look at 2 way SR types like 12" 2206 based 4722 as an example or 4612's. The only thing that's going to match the A7 for dynamics is a similar HE design. Unless you plan on running the rears as full range there are lots of choices.

Rob

Hi there,

I would go for a third A-7 for center speaker. This way wou'r in match sonically and tonality.

As for surrounds the JBL Or Ev theatre surrounds you will find it in their cinema brochure. Unfortunatly Altec does not make a 12" duplex or woofer HI Fi speaker for now. But I heard they are working on it.

The advantage of pro surround are that you can mount them on the walls
    high,and take up less space.

.................................................. .......

I would use 604s or 605s in a medium sized enclosure. They used them in the smaller theaters as surrounds back in the day. Mains were usually A7 or bigger. If you were into DIY you could make some wall hugger boxes that are thin depth wise and tall to get the tweeter above ear height like dolby recommends.

A Urei 809 or 811 or such, might also be a good speaker for this application, especially for the center channel. Should have reasonably similar dispersion and FR balance to the Altecs...

If you could build a DIY speaker for the center, something like a JBL K120 or Altec 414 or 425 (alnico, therefore inherently shielded) 12", coupled with a 2370 horn flare and a 2420 horn driver (also alnico), could work well...

4612/4612OK's might just make good rear-channel speakers for such a system. I'd be hesitant to use it for center (not quite the timbre match), but it should have good enough dynamics and close-enough FR balance to work in the rears.

Oh, BTW, I just remembered... a fellow I work with, has a single 511 horn flare, that might come in handy for this center channel. I think he's selling it for $50.00. I'd be glad to check on it...

Regards,
    Gordon.

pelly3s
    another option would be to find an MR102 and load it with a 12" altec or jbl and test to see how low you can push the thing. i know for pro use nothing you didnt want to get below 200hz but you should be able to go to around 100 or so in a home application, then find a horn to match your A7's

I really appreciate everyones input on this subject it has really helped. I tired to get input on home theater forum but had no luck on this paticular post. It was suggested that I try here and it has paid off.

I would love to use a third A-7 in my system but do not have the room for it. And I also wished my father would have given me a shot at the second set of A-7's he use to have. He use to own 2 pair and after selling the first pair he told me about the other set he had. I was lucky enough to buy the pair I have for $400.

I have my A-7's on ether side of my Sony KDF-E50A10 50" HDTV, I have my Polk CS100 center channel under the tv that sits on a tv stand. So if I use a good size cabinet I will have to raise the tv up higher so I can have a large speaker under the tv. My rear channels are Advent Marbles which I know are not great speakers. But they where only ment to be temperary speakers until I could buy better ones.

I listen to mostly movies but I do listen to a fair amount of music on my system. I currently use a Yamaha RX-V995 reciever to power my A-7's and even when I had dual 15's in the A-7 cabinets. The reciever never cliped and performed very well considering what it is.

I plan to upgrade my HT system from 5.1 to a 7.1 system. And if I get a big room to place this HT in, and add a hd projector with a 120" screen. I will boost the speaker side up to 10.2 system. My subwoofers will be dual JBL Pro 18" subwoofers. And at that point I may just run that third A-7 for a center channel instead of two smaller center channels?

Would love to hear other suggestions if anyone has one? But again everyones help is greatly appreciated

Smile A7 Match

I think a single 9844 might be the match (99vs 101) efficiency wise and would have the same HF unit(811b horn and you could match the compression driver) and and could fit nicely under or more preferably over the TV.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-9844A_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

No affiliation and it has a reserve@ $400
    But it has a NASA provinence, not quite as good as Bob Weir, but you could Tie Die the grill.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Grateful-Dead-Bo...QQcmdZViewItem

If that is too large you could try a pair of 601s in a similar cabinet cut down to eliminate the space for the 811, perhaps 20% smaller.
    A bit trickier running 2 tweeters and I would bet there are dozens on this forum who could tell you many reasons why that is a bad idea.

"I tired to get input on home theater forum but had no luck on this paticular post. "

I posted there giving you very good advice, pretty much some of the same you're getting here; to use Iconics, Valencias, Carmels etc. or 604-605s. You thought I was kidding?

I just want to thank you for your input I just have been bad at responding lately, sorry. No I cant say I thought you where kidding.

Here is my current HT system:
    Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 Surround Reciever (100 watts x 5, DD and DTS)
    Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD Player
    Denon DVD-2200 DVD/SACD/DVD-A Player
    Marantz LV-520 Laserdisc Player
    JVC QL-50 Turntable with Sure tone arm
    Sony KDF-E50A10 50" LCD HDTV

Altec Lancing A-7's for Front L & R
    Polk Audio CS-100 Center Channel
    Advent Marble Bookshelf Speakers
    No dedicated subwoofer

I am currently planning a saving for a Sony Blu-ray HD Player, New 7.1 reciever with new (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD). A multi channel power amp and maybe a custom 18" pro subwoofer.

My HT is going to take alot of money to update and to get it where I want it. Hopefully I will be able to save some money here and there when ever possible.

Thread Information