Thread: JBL 4412A

JBL 4412A

My first post on this forum
    Background
    I just upgraded to a different studio monitor speaker in my HT. I was previously using two JBL 4408As each placed on top of a JBL S120pII sub woofers. I run the left and right channel large, sending a signal to the subs crossed over at the subs lowest crossover setting which is 50hz.
    I run a JBL EC35 as center channel, with two small two way DCMs as surround left and right.

I purchased two used JBL 4412As off of ebay. The speakers are about two and a half years old. The cabinets are in great shape and all drivers are functioning properly. Grill covers are perfect. The monitor is designed to lay horizontally, a three way with 12 in woofer, 4 in midrange, and 1 in titanium tweeter.
    Day One listening Impressions
    I have only listened to two SACD's and one regular cd and a partial movie on cable (hi def channel).
    Bob Mintzer Big Band and Maynard Ferguson SACD's: Sound was very clean and clear. Reproduction of horn sections clearly delineated between sax and trumpets. Speakers are more "effortless" than the 4408As they replace. Quite capable of loud volume. Instruments sound very life like.
    Also listened to Steely Dan Two Against Nature. Very nice. All instruments and voices reproduced very clearly. Well balanced from highest highs to lows. Vocals are very clear and all instruments are clear and life like.
    Speakers are smooth and not harsh at all. I was somewhat surprised that the top end is smoother than the 4408s even though they share the same tweeter. (4408 is a two way with 8 in woofer and 1 in tweeter).
    Most noticable observation is the effortlessness of the speaker as compared to the smaller monitor.
    Watched second half of Shrek 2 last night. Movie sound track was reproduced in a way that allowed the movie to be enjoyed in a way in which the speakers did not call attention to themselves at all, it was just "there" in the room.
    Over all, I am quite pleased with the sound quality especially for the price paid.

The speakers were just placed where the 4408s were, no differences in calibration. I haven't recalibrated the system for lack of time and the inevitable "eagerness" that attacks when ever a new piece of audio gear arrives. I will say they are large, but not overly so. That of course depends on the room.

I listen to alot of music in stereo. Cable jazz and smooth jazz very nice and detailed. Did a quick listen to some classical, but will have to spend some time with some well recorded cds before making judgement on that one.

If any one is wondering how well studio monitors do versus home speakers I would say, they just sound like a good speaker.

Day Three
    I took out my ACI subwoofer tones disk and did a preliminary test at just a few frequencies. Ended up turning down the volume on the subs quite a bit. After a quick calibration the initial listening impressions are reinforced. The bass has cleaned up a bit. The room peaks and dips are still there of course, next step being some bass traps.
    However, I am impressed with the sound of the 4412As.
    For the money I paid, I think I have found my left and right speakers.

Next step will be to swap out the JBL EC35 center and move one of the 4408As as a center speaker to see if this gives me a more consistent front sound stage.

I have one observation to make of some of the other forums. There appears to be a lot of interest in a limited number of brands of speakers as well as subwoofers, and forum readers appear less prone to comment on either the use of pro monitors in a home environment or subs somewhat out of the ordinary. This is not a complaint as I understand the orientation of the majority of readers. I would just like to say I have been lurking and reading some of the very interesting discussions on this site for awhile and decided to register.
    I hope someone finds my comments useful and I would like to thank many of the regular posters in this forum for their sharing of their knowledge.
    Cheers.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Forum.

You will find a little bit of a "If JBL don't make it, you don't need it attitude" around here, as one might expect. But I even have JBL in my Hot Rod Linclon. I love these speakers and own many different models.

Many of us use the Monitors and Pro components for home listening and HT use.

The important thing to keep in focus is the music. If it sounds good to you in your room, screw what anyone else thinks.

Happy listening,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Congrats and welcome. The legacy is something you can never outgrow. Cheers mate!

Thread Information