Thread: Re-Veneering

Re-Veneering

Question, does the old veneer come off first or just re-veneer over the top? If so, what the best way to get the old off? Thx in advance
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

I wouldn't be worried about going over the top of another veneer unless you are concerned about it's ability to allow good adhesion. In your case there was a concern as to whether you had a substance in the old veneer that wouldn't allow the wood to take a stain. That concern now is will it allow a good bond to the new veneer. That issue can be resolved by sanding the old veneer as if you wanted to see it with all the old stain and patina removed. It should be easy enough as you already stripped it. You may get lucky and get that unknown substance out without going through the old veneer. try 100 grit if you think there is a chance you may save it. 60 grit if your beyond that ideal, but finish it with at least around of 120 to 150 before hosing off with some air. If you get lucky then your back to finishing and not reveneering. If you do go through, well no worries as you had to prepare it for the new veneer anyway. Years ago the thickness of the veneer and how it lines up with the adjacent panels was a concern. Now days any veneer you buy is so thin that it wouldn't be an issue. Just don't use a belt sander on the prep process unless you have a good feel for it from experience. Good luck and seems like I remember something your Dad used to say "Do what you do best and let.......", a the hell with it, no guts no glory

Thx DUDE!! My bud here and I are going to have at it over a weekend. Just didn't know if the old had to come off first, but seein' as how my sanding abilities are so good... , we'll just sand the hell out of 'em and plaster the new stuff on. Still waitin' on the mail from SLOW DAKOTA, haven't forgotten about you...Best regards
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

"Audiobeer" does some of the finest cabinet repair work I have ever seen. Over the years he has posted some terrific DIY threads. Search them out.

I've got a pair of 4313B's he did miracles on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information