Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy Of A Northridge

Hi TD,

I also appreciate your efforts in showing us what this Northridge speaker looks like from the outside in and inside out. With all the questions of what is better, vintage or new, its instructive how JBL has changed or evolved over the years. With different owners and administrative/marketing leadership, constant changes in the compromises inherent in designing loudspeakers become evident. Some of these changes you can see, some you can hear.

I think the engineers at JBL Consumer and Pro have a heck of a job to do when trying to create great products which must meet a specific marketplace niche and price point. Sometimes they do well, sometimes it doesn't work out. But they learn and evolve with ever changing marketplace.

For all you other folks out there looking in, imagine, if you will, doing this exercise every 5 years through the JBL consumer catalog. Pick a TOTL "statement" speaker, a mid-pricerange speaker, and an entry level model. Now photograph them, dissect them, and place some quality judgement on how they were built and what went into them. I think, with a few exceptions, we would have been deriding the entry level models as being poor substitutes for the big boys. Yet these particular speakers had to sound and look good to attract the young, not so well healed buyers who had no prior experience with JBL products.

I absolutely agree that sometime in the late 80's to early 90's production quality shifted as JBL products sometimes used Harmon affiliated drivers or specific offshore made components. That's just part of the globalized manufacturing for a large diversified and somewhat multinational company. It does mean that JBL can use all of Harmon's resources to engineer, manufacture, and bring to market cost effective products which enable JBL to survive and prosper. That's a whole lot better than the alternative outcomes that have plagued so many other audio names and manufacturers.

TD, keep asking questions and looking for the answers (or in this case, wielding the screwdriver/allen wrench, digital camera, and presenting your findings without editorializing). That's what makes it fun and interesting to be involved with JBL products and people. That's what keeps me coming back.

Regards,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    I can't recall seeing stamped frame JBL speakers before....
    At JBL Professional Nortridge they actually do install stamped frame woofers into their economy sound reinforcement series (JRX) which still represent a great value for the money.

I was surprised that more speaker makers have not returned to stamped frames. With the smaller, lighter neodymium magnet structures they may give adequate performance. But most manufacturers, including JBL, seem to be sticking with cast frames for their neodymium units.

And I found this thread very interesting, and applaud Dome's considerable effort in putting it together.

Thanks Dome!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

I was surprised that more speaker makers have not returned to stamped frames. With the smaller, lighter neodymium magnet structures they may give adequate performance. But most manufacturers, including JBL, seem to be sticking with cast frames for their neodymium units.
    The cast frames have more mass and are better heatsinks. Heat is one thing that can give the new motors problems.

Rob

I have S38s that I purchased refurbished as my first JBL speakers and have found them a very good value for money spent. I have been curious about how the E50s would compare. It appears the woofer and midrange are the same size although I don't know if they are the same speakers or not. The E50s have a 3/4 inch titanium dome tweeter while the S38s use a one inch titanium dome.
    I always thought that both models were the consumer version of the LSR32 pro monitor.
    The reviews that I have read on the S38s were positive with reviewers commenting on dynamics and clarity. They seemed surprised that the speakers sounded as good as they did. There are less reviews of the E50s but those I have read are also positive.
    I appreciate the efforts to disect and look forward to listening impressions.
    I think of the S38s and E50s as poor mans monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    ... more speaker maker have not returned to stamped frames. With the smaller, lighter neodymium magnet structures they may give adequate performance ... with cast frames ...
    The italian speaker makers B&C consequently reduces the amount of material as you can see on the picture of a 15 inch driver. Other pictures are here as well
    http://lautsprechershop.de/pa/index.htm?/pa/buc_tt.htm
    (I have no experience with these speakers.)

Originally written by bone215

I have S38s that I purchased refurbished as my first JBL speakers and have found them a very good value for money spent. I have been curious about how the E50s would compare. It appears the woofer and midrange are the same size although I don't know if they are the same speakers or not.
    The woofers in the S38s have cast frames. They're not as masssive or as nice to look at as a 123A-3 or even a 117H, but they ain't stamped. The magnets are pretty big on them. I am trying to get hold of a digital camera. If I do and can figure out how to upload the pictures I will pull my speakers apart and post the results.

Smile Let's go a step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    I'm not sure what that means, but come on, TiDome...

(Snip)

-----

What did we learn? You dismantled an off-JBL cabinet, and posted a bunch of pictures of the process. The components don't have common JBL part numbers, it seems, so what value is this?

It's more like a blog man - posting whatever, whenever, for whomever. Those cabinets, even though JBL heritage, are about as far from what we do here as Bose. Even JBL didn't put their name on the packaging...
    You raise some interesting points. Of course, I can only speak to what I learned, not you or anyone else. I even learned a couple of things that had nothing to do with the object at hand.
    Out.

Smile

-----

- The speakers are well protected with a solid, close fitting top and bottom insert. The enclosures themselves are also protected by soft foam "cloth" top and bottom. The grilles fit in their own slot.

I remember opening my brand new L100 boxes in 1971 and marveling at the simple, yet effective packaging. I thought the boxes, the end pieces, and the inserts were remarkable in and of themselves.

Sure, I was a teenager and completely naive about packaging, but I thought how amazing it was the JBL had such a perfect way to protect the L100s. I would have added 50 pounds to the box if I had packed it using cruder, cheaper, generic materials and methods. The packaging is part of the "look and feel" experience.

I've opened a lot of JBL boxes since then and been gratified that the packaging has always been excellent. When I opened all those Performance Series boxes, I was impressed that JBL was still packaging the newer stuff to the qualities I expected.

I've also opened a lot of non JBL boxes, too. A lot of speakers are packed tightly in cabrboard boxes, with carbboard corners, or maybe there are small foam corner protectors, or whatever. I've had numerous crushed corners, cracked enclosures, snapped off pegs, broken grilles, etc. But NEVER in JBL original packaging.

When I got the E50s, JBL's entry-level, consumer grade product, I fully expected to see compromised packaging. My expectations were wrong, however, as I opened the box and there were the custom foam end caps, completely enveloping the tops and bottoms of the speakers. There was even cloth in there to protect the finish from marring. The carbboard itself was dual density corrugated board, not just cheap single ply, thin paper.

It was still the JBL unpacking experience, just as cool as with the Performance Series or the L100s 30+ years ago. So, what did I learn?

I learned that whether it's at the high end or consumer level, JBL still respects its customers and its products, packages the products well, and still delivers the JBL "look and feel" in the unpacking process.
    Out.

Smile Stickers and badges

-----

- There's the typical JBL model sticker.

-----

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, maybe it's worth a hundred or two.

I've always been fond of JBL badges and model stickers. Some people like foilcals or other things, but I like the badges and stickers. I'd have to say, I'm not that fond of the big plastic, orange Pro badges, but there have been a number of consumer badges over the years.

Even my SAT10s have decent badges on them, as small as they are.

Some companies have turned to screened or painted badges or even decals, or at least to plastic. Often the model number is just a decal, or a paper sticker. But here we see JBL still producing a real badge even on its low end line and using the same quality of model sticker as on all the others.

Again, small things, but part of the JBL experience.
    Out.

Smile The Matrix is all around you, Neo (not really)

-----

- ...the grilles have quite a matrix. (my personal favorite)

-----

The matrix is a point of interest for several reasons.

First, the matrix is crucial for the shape of the grille and its stability. Rather than choosing an easy frame design that could have made do with a simpler, cheaper grille, JBL chose to do more.

Second the shape of the grille could have been flat, nearly two-dimensional, but JBL chose to have some depth and subtle character. The grille is far from a simple rectangle, and the subtle curves and rolls are better appreciated "in person."

Third, the slots in the side members allow wider dispersion.

Finally, since these are mirrored pairs, there are two octagon-shaped openings to allow the tweeters to project sound without the interference of the matrix itself. It's another thoughtful touch in the design and implementation.

Even at this level, design matters.
    Out.

Smile

-----

- The network is nestled in a nest of wires. (but no detail of what is on that board)

-----

It's a simple network, based on the SSP design. All the major components are visible, and the schematic is readily available here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...t/E50%20ts.pdf

Anyone who's really interested in more detail can easily find it. If you want me to take it out, I will.
    Out.

It's more like a blog man - posting whatever, whenever, for whomever.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Me too, Dome you keep doing what you're doing...some of us love it.

Personally I like the old AND the new.......

Thanks for the thread...

Thank you TiDome!. Nice thread. Keep up the good work, you never disappoint!.

Out.

Smile

What did we learn? You dismantled an off-JBL cabinet, and posted a bunch of pictures of the process. The components don't have common JBL part numbers, it seems, so what value is this?
    I learned that "common JBL parts" are not so common anymore, but everything seemed to have a JBL part number on it to me.

It's more like a blog man - posting whatever, whenever, for whomever. Those cabinets, even though JBL heritage, are about as far from what we do here as Bose. Even JBL didn't put their name on the packaging...

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're saying JBL didn't put its name on the box, you're incorrect. The picture I posted doesn't show the logo, but it's there.

As far as the cabinets are concerned, the construction is first-rate: edges are clean, corners are sharp, bevels are uniform, fake woodgrain vinyl is perfect, speaker cutouts are routered (no cheap surface mounting), free-flow ports are incorporated, speaker attachments are quality, etc.

I don't have any Bose in my collection , but I still have these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information