Thread: Mutant Valencias?

Mutant Valencias?

First post here...I've been at AK for a while, and my pile of Lansing stuff has grown to the point where I figured it was time to wander over here to look around.

A few weeks ago I got a nice deal on a set of Heathkit-branded 811B horns and 806 drivers. The diaphragms are dead and need replacement, so I have some flexibility in what I do with these. I figured I'd sit back and see what else comes down the line before I rebuild them, and if a deal wanders along I might go with an 802/902 type driver for more extended HF response.

Last night, a low-frequency possibility wandered by in the form of a 16ohm JBL D130, S/N 38820. Has anyone built a two-way setup with Altec horns and 15" JBL woofers? Am I completely nuts for considering the construction of a Lansing mutant?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
    Has anyone built a two-way setup with Altec horns and 15" JBL woofers? Am I completely nuts for considering the construction of a Lansing mutant?
    I have. For awhile I used 2226s with Altec 902s on McCauley horns. Among other mix and matches I've done. I've also used JBL compression drivers with Altec woofers.

No, you're not nuts, there's no (sensible) reason to not mix quality drivers of different brands. Many things can work well.

Tom, it's good to know that I'm not out in left field with this idea.

Now that I have the D130 repaired, I need to find a twin. Then I can worry about crossover designs. Something new to learn!

Thread Information