Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Widgets" update

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    Here is what I got done today. They speakers are sanded and the first cost of DEFT lacquer finish is on. The first coat always soaks in. I will sand and coat, sand and coat a few times to build up the finish and then sand and buff to get the mirror gloss shine.
    They are looking very nice!

Do you brush or spray the DEFT? From your post I am guessing you are not using a lacquer sanding sealer. Typically how many coats does it take to completely fill a medium tight grained wood so that you can polish it out to a "piano" high gloss finish?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They are looking very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Do you brush or spray the DEFT? From your post I am guessing you are not using a lacquer sanding sealer. Typically how many coats does it take to completely fill a medium tight grained wood so that you can polish it out to a "piano" high gloss finish?

Widget

In the past, I've always sprayed the DEFT. This time around I decided to try the brush on because I knew I wanted it thick. Spraying it takes a lot of coats to build it up. So far the first coat of gloss (clear in the can, semi-gloss looks milky) almost totally soaked in. The second coat is close to filling and I expect the third to level it out.

Now being lacquer it works better when the temperature is 70+ and best when it is 80+. I've tried to do projects in the summer here because the finish is easier to acheive. Drying slower in cooler temps yields a bit of orange peel that has to be sanded out. Not a real issue when I've done semi-gloss finishes. Even the white scotch brite pads can buff the surface smooth. I knew the gloss finish would take a lot more prep. It is very similar to painting a car. I even plan to use automotive 3M 06068, Perfect It Ultrafine Machine Polish, for the final polish, after block sanding to 1000 or 1500.

Yes I know a lot of work, but I'm kind of trying an old school approach to see how it does. It would have been a lot easier to take them to my buddy's body shop and just shoot them in clear urethane, but lugging these lead bricks around isn't easy. The lacquer I can do in my garage. The nice thing about lacquer is it is very forgiving. If you mess up, drip or get something in the finish, some 220 and a sanding block takes it right out. The next coat actually melts into the previous and you continue working.

Sanding sealer- why not?

You could save yourself some time and effort by using a sanding sealer before laying down the varnish. The product is clear and usually seals in one coat, allowing the buildup coats to proceed with the first application instead of drinking into the wood over and over... works wonders on mahogany boats!

Thanksy Rudy, I'll have to think of that next time.

Here is what I have with three coats on. Starting to look good and will only get better. The sunlight helps to show the actual color of the sapele.

Here is a nice shot of a top.

Looking good!

Love that wood! The stain is really nice -perfect color IMO.

Maybe I'll get to see 'em up close and personal soon

gorgeous
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Stunning !

inspirational work.
    Rich

I'm also turning some 3" x 2" billet feet for them.

DOG BITE! Some days are just aaarrrrrgggghhhh! I laid my speakers down to put on a last coat of finish. When I went to pick them up, they had stuck to the carpet. 14 hours and dry to the touch wasn't dry enough. Now I have to strip the sides to get the carpet out that is embedded and if that wasn't bad enough, a piece of veneer was pulled out. One more thing to repair. What's a guy to do? ~sigh~

:shock:

I hate that! Lacquer does take a very long time to really cure. I suppose the extreme mass of the speaker wasn't your friend either.

Widget

Yes it sucks, but can be fixed with some time and patience. In reality, it will only set me back a couple days. Needless to say, I won't be laying these things down anymore.

Just cover them in carpet and be done with it..........

That's terrible. You must now sit in the chair of shame. If I may suggest- mask the edges of the area to be repaired. No sense sliding a carpet fiber onto a portion with the 'good' finish!

If you have seen "UP", I now wear the cone of shame. On a bright note, the feet did turn out nice.

Thread Information