Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "The Widgets" update

I'm being serious - I can help you design a sculptured grille that could be unique for your speaker design and give it a "signature" similiar to what was done for the L100 and others.

But no problem, if you're not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    FINALLY they are back playing in my living room. I was going to leave the grills off but you will notice the left dust cap is dented. That is compliments of our 6 year old grandson and his marshmellow gun. You can't leave kids alone for two minutes.
    Nothing a quick suck with the Hoover won't cure. BTDT. Well, actually my kids never did that (now 23, 20, and 15) but I did acquire several with that flaw.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

FINALLY they are back playing in my living room.

These have not been polished yet. I need to let them cure for a few weeks before I do that.
    WW, those are unbelievably beautiful. Truly an inspiration. Fantastic work.

I am curious. Did you use a binding agent with the glass beads (such as epoxy or fiberglass resin) or are they simply in the kerf cuts loose and capped with wood filler? I had planned on build something eerily similar, but planned on simply using bondo to fill the kerf cuts. Do you believe there to be an advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    WW, those are unbelievably beautiful. Truly an inspiration. Fantastic work.

I am curious. Did you use a binding agent with the glass beads (such as epoxy or fiberglass resin) or are they simply in the kerf cuts loose and capped with wood filler? I had planned on build something eerily similar, but planned on simply using bondo to fill the kerf cuts. Do you believe there to be an advantage?
    They are loose, well as loose as can be considering they are finer than sand and in an enclosed space. I got the idea after building an isolation dampening sandbox for my turntable at the time. They glass beads absorb mechanical energy; i.e. dampening the cabinet. The cabinets are very dead.

Shortcut

Here is a link to an outfit on the other side of the pond ( Anaheim ) that do a huge selection of preformed curved panels. Prices do not seem thay scary to me ,but then we pay £1.15 litre for gas.

Beautiful build on those speakers

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...&wDesc=Quarter Cylinders (90 degrees)

Here is a shot with my original full grills on.

Hey, Ward,

Simply stunning work, Sir!! I don't remember ever seeing anything quite that lovely, back when I was in Odessa, my hometown!! 'Course, that was a very long time ago.... Your work is exceptional, Sir, and your having shared it with us, is a wonderful thing, indeed! Thanks, very much! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Wife is correct, horns showing!!! she has taste & you too, wow! if those things sound anywhere close to how they look

FINALLY they are back playing in my living room. I was going to leave the grills off but you will notice the left dust cap is dented. That is compliments of our 6 year old grandson and his marshmellow gun. You can't leave kids alone for two minutes.

My wife said she wants the full grills cut down so the big horn is showing. Sounds like a neat look. What do you guys think about a 3/4 grill?

These have not been polished yet. I need to let them cure for a few weeks before I do that.

WOW! Outstanding!

(I vote for the full grill, but who's asking?)

Great job, and Thank You for sharing these pictures.

Scotty.

ps. Did I miss it, where is/are the ports? Infinite Baffle?
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    WOW! Outstanding!

(I vote for the full grill, but who's asking?)

Great job, and Thank You for sharing these pictures.

Scotty.

ps. Did I miss it, where is/are the ports? Infinite Baffle?
    Dual 4" ports in the rear

Here is a link to an outfit on the other side of the pond ( Anaheim ) that do a huge selection of preformed curved panels.
    Thanks for posting that!

Here is a shot with my original full grills on.
    They look great!!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Simply stunning, as for the grills, I can't decide. Both are great.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Here is a link to an outfit on the other side of the pond ( Anaheim ) that do a huge selection of preformed curved panels. Prices do not seem thay scary to me ,but then we pay £1.15 litre for gas.

Beautiful build on those speakers

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...&wDesc=Quarter Cylinders (90 degrees)
    Yeppers. A fella could, say, get a half cylendar http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?ItemID=6200&wdesc=Half%20Cylinders% 20(180%20degrees), and some of these http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?ItemID=8600&wdesc=MDF%20Prefit%20(L )%20Quarter%20Rounds

and use them to make a cab that's all rounded but can be coupled to a flat face. Only problem is that you need to create a shape like a trapezoid laid on a semicircle, if you wish to do shelf bracing...... had to go with CNC work for that step.

Nice to have these guys so close, it's a 15 minute ride to their warehouse. Hopefully I can get the baffles done and have these running by Xmas. Enclosed volume is slightly shy of 5 ft ^3, which is pretty good for most 15"s tuned to 35-40 or, a relatively high sensitivity/wide bandwidth sub with a 123A/123A-3/2213. I'll be testing a variety of drivers, the JBLs are 2226H and 2213.

Great work.
    When you listen "serious" music go without grills.
    Stay with them only for "protection".
    Your speakers complete the living room colour.
    Congratulations.

Dual 4" ports in the rear
    ACK!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone

Test your port tuning wards, those are very close to the wall for vents. You may find that you are getting a lot of extra output around Fb.

What's great about this is that you can then stuff the box a little more, and line or lightly stuff the ports, and ditch some of the BR ripple.

Thread Information