Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Widgets" update

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann
    Widget, are these the cabinets from a thread last year, the ones you posted pics of looking down into from the top with extensive plywood rib bracing?

Those cabs are rock-solid!
    Yes, the very same pair.

Rock solid? Well sorta kinda... The pre-kerfed MDF I used to clad them turned out to have a resonance at 150Hz. I hope Wardseb's damping compound works out.

My Mark II version have an identical outward appearance but were constructed much like the Project Array Series with very thick slabs of MDF that I machined into the curved shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann
    Should be beautiful looking when Wardsweb finishes 'em... Pictures please!
    I am sure that he will do a wonderful job. I too look forward to seeing those pics!

Widget

I hope I can live up to eveyone's expectations. I working on getting some sheets of sapele pommele that are wide enough so I only need one sheet per side. That way I don't have to seam except at the corners. Also, I plan on using some black something (plastic, lexan, plexi, metal) on the front two beveled edges. Something to setoff the face and accent the sides.

... 3 1/2 years later

Holy Smokes its been a long time coming! I finally started veneering the "Widgets". I should have them finished in a week. Here is shot of the sides covered with sapele pommele.

and the face done in texture paint

I will post the entire process on my site when completed. It will include construction, modification, drives, crossover and veneering.

AS always it's a pleasure seeing how your projects turn out. Pure class! They are going to look fantastic!

Wow! I had totally forgotten about that pair. Here is one from a pair that are complete with leather wrapped baffles, and birdseye maple. These were completed a couple of years back for a friend...

You don't need to feel bad about how long it's been though. My own pair are still in all of their unfinished glory just like they were in this pic from Winter 2006! Damn, no wonder my wife is pissed! I need to take them out to the shop and get some veneer on them!!!

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thumbs up Nice!

Love those wild-looking veneers!

Widget, I recognize those UHF drivers, but can't remember who made them. What are they?

What was the driver complement in this project?. Looks like a 2118 Mid. H or J? What were your crossover points and slopes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann View Post
    Widget, I recognize those UHF drivers, but can't remember who made them. What are they?

What was the driver complement in this project?. Looks like a 2118 Mid. H or J? What were your crossover points and slopes?
    None of the above.

Luther has taken the Mk. I version and switched to Altecs with JBL Slots. For the Mk. II version I have gone with a compliment of TAD drivers and a JBL Sub1500 below coming in at ~50Hz.

Widget

BTW: I don't want to hijack this thread... I was just commiserating about how time seems to fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

... I was just commiserating about how time seems to fly by.
    Indeed! It feels as if my 31st birthday happened last year......but was actually 20 years ago. Whew!

On the "Widgets" in Wardsweb very first pic.....I just love how the horns have been integrated into the cabinet without the mounting flanges showing. Very nice.

Beautiful cabinet work.
    You guys are truly master craftsmen

Russ

Thanks guys and Widget don't worry about jumping in here. Its all about the journey that we share.

By the way, the final configuration of drivers is JBL 2235H LF, Altec 802-8G mounted to Altec 511B HF and JBL 077 slot UHF.

Here is how I tackled the resonance issue. The kerf is filled with glass beads finer than sand and capped with synthetic wood filler. I also sprayed the interior with automotive undercoating.

Looking good!

Nice to see great speaker systems come to life and look beautiful also!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    Here is how I tackled the resonance issue. The kerf is filled with glass beads finer than sand and capped with synthetic wood filler. I also sprayed the interior with automotive undercoating.

nice!

Here is what I have up so far. I will add more as I complete the veneering and apply the high gloss finish.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/Widgets/

Nice job and pictorial. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    Here is what I have up so far. I will add more as I complete the veneering and apply the high gloss finish.

http://wardsweb.org/audio/Widgets/
    beautiful, thanks for the pics. i like the design of the speakers alot!
    i also like the L26 btw., really enjoyed mine.

hope to read more about your speakers soon.
    cheers,
    mikey

ps: i would love to download your picture of the o77. is that possible? that would be great!
    pps: cool motorcycle you got!
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

Thread Information