Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on your JBL To-Do List?

To do...

Make some...no,

MANY* Quadrex and L200 grilles!!!!!!!

(I hear ya Mike)

Maybe now only a week away!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

totor
    Greetings from Switzerland
    I am a newbie, and absolutely novice in repair...
    One of my L100A tweeters need to be looked after (one of my kids went to close - or was it my wife with the Hoover...)
    I just bought in bad state a L212 system (Yesterday...) A lot of refoaming is it (outer edge of the speaker gone - I lack of vocabulary also...) of the ultra bass and both mid-bass.
    I suppose the electronics needs a look since the age of the system

All the best
    Victor

P.S.
    Any advices or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by totor
    Any advices or tips?
    Yes.

Start your own thread on refurbishing these.

With PICS, of course.

[The forum LOVES these projects.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Switch to Altec.
    Hilarious! I was gonna say, ditch the 4345's, S-22-2's, 4430's and all the misc. parts and git me a Bose wave radio.

JBL Dog
    1) Sell my four pairs of 4355's. Don't have the room for them anymore.

2) Replace the L-pads in the 4343's.

3) Load the Metregon in the dog-house with a 3-way 282 system. I'm still short a few components to make it happen.

4) See if I can talk audiobeer into refinishing my 4301BE's.

5) I bought four Control 5's (white to match the siding) a few years back with the intention of wiring up an outdoor system for the patio area. I'll see if I can make that happen over the summer.

That should be enough to take me in to the next decade.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Hilarious! I was gonna say, ditch the 4345's, S-22-2's, 4430's and all the misc. parts and git me a Bose wave radio.

Work a 250Ti system into a smaller package respecting the baffle dimensions and offset, and work as a two-enclosure (per side) system to keep some flexibility for future tweeks and mods.

Not so simple as I thought it could be.

DavidF

Work a 250Ti system into a smaller package respecting the baffle dimensions and offset, and work as a two-enclosure (per side) system to keep some flexibility for future tweeks and mods.

Not so simple as I thought it could be.
    Nice! I am planning a similar venture down the road. I am going to have the LE-14 as the base module with different drivr set's up top.

Rob

J.A.F.S.

Smile

Veneering and edge banding my dual 2245 cabinets - then applying the stain the the lacquer.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

In no particular order...
    1. Meet with woodworker friend Wayne, check progress on re-fin of 4333s. He's attempted to restore the worst side of the cabs to OEM oiled walnut ( http://home.earthlink.net/~jdeavs/generalphotoalbum/ ) I'll see the results later this month. If the original finish isn't recoverable, I'll need to pick another direction. Then, I'll need to re-assemble the components (installing the 2405s in mirror-positions) and blissfully sit yoga-style in front of them for extended periods of time.
    2. Re-grille 4333s, either OEM blue or possibly brown to match the L46 grilles.
    3. Clean and oil four L46s, hopefully to be used in the same room as the freshly re-fin'd 4333s mentioned above.
    4. Find appropriate center channel for L46s, resisting any temptation or advice to use 4333s as L&R and L46s as center & rears in surround system.
    5. Find/build cabinet to make my 2135 happy, then re-visit the joys I once knew of playing guitar through a JBL full-range 15".
    6. Reinforce back of old, cruddy Cerwin Vega cabinets that now house E120s, spray cabinets black, mount on studio walls as drum & keyboard foldback monitors. Crank 'em up.
    7. Find a pair of abandoned L100 cabinets for cheap, populate with contents of big box in my basement marked "L100 stuff". Mount them on studio walls as playback monitors. Crank 'em up.
    8. Mount TR225s as foldback monitors in new, smaller main studio, cross fingers that they'll be acceptably usable, leave them there forever. And, uh, crank 'em up, I guess.
    9. Plan & complete cabinet with E140 and two Roland JC50 10"s. Current concept is band-in-a-box, something reasonably portable for rehearsal or party that bass & two guitars can use simultaneously. So far, it's got a 3 rack space top section behind the 10"s with intake & exhaust fans, tuner holder, patch bay, cup holder (!), guitar stand recessed in the face, handles & casters. It may end up with 3 power amp channels, and all players plug in pedalboards or Rockman-style preamps. It's somewhat visible here, under the Gibson banner: http://tinyurl.com/5k78b
    10. Mount L110s above recording desk as playback monitors, test with and without M&K V3B sub. Crank 'em up.
    ...and last, but not least...

11. Buy lots of diamonds & shoes for my wife, hopefully distracting her from the ten large speakers in the living room and my complete takeover of the entire bottom floor of our house.

12. Donate to Lansing Heritage site, hoping to not exceed the patience of helpful veterans with bottom-feeder-type questions.

Thanks,

je

Scratch # 4 off my list!

http://tinyurl.com/gmrg9

EBay item # 9721236657

Considering that I got my other four L46s free as a tip, this puts me at $32.18 a piece for six L46s including shipping. Should make for a smooth 5.1 or 6.1 setup with high W.A.F, if I can locate the center correctly in relation to the screen (42" LCD rear-pro).

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    In no particular order...
    1. Meet with woodworker friend Wayne, check progress on re-fin of 4333s. He's attempted to restore the worst side of the cabs to OEM oiled walnut ( http://home.earthlink.net/~jdeavs/generalphotoalbum/ ) I'll see the results later this month. If the original finish isn't recoverable, I'll need to pick another direction. Then, I'll need to re-assemble the components (installing the 2405s in mirror-positions) and blissfully sit yoga-style in front of them for extended periods of time.
    2. Re-grille 4333s, either OEM blue or possibly brown to match the L46 grilles.
    3. Clean and oil four L46s, hopefully to be used in the same room as the freshly re-fin'd 4333s mentioned above.
    4. Find appropriate center channel for L46s, resisting any temptation or advice to use 4333s as L&R and L46s as center & rears in surround system.
    5. Find/build cabinet to make my 2135 happy, then re-visit the joys I once knew of playing guitar through a JBL full-range 15".
    6. Reinforce back of old, cruddy Cerwin Vega cabinets that now house E120s, spray cabinets black, mount on studio walls as drum & keyboard foldback monitors. Crank 'em up.
    7. Find a pair of abandoned L100 cabinets for cheap, populate with contents of big box in my basement marked "L100 stuff". Mount them on studio walls as playback monitors. Crank 'em up.
    8. Mount TR225s as foldback monitors in new, smaller main studio, cross fingers that they'll be acceptably usable, leave them there forever. And, uh, crank 'em up, I guess.
    9. Plan & complete cabinet with E140 and two Roland JC50 10"s. Current concept is band-in-a-box, something reasonably portable for rehearsal or party that bass & two guitars can use simultaneously. So far, it's got a 3 rack space top section behind the 10"s with intake & exhaust fans, tuner holder, patch bay, cup holder (!), guitar stand recessed in the face, handles & casters. It may end up with 3 power amp channels, and all players plug in pedalboards or Rockman-style preamps. It's somewhat visible here, under the Gibson banner: http://tinyurl.com/5k78b
    10. Mount L110s above recording desk as playback monitors, test with and without M&K V3B sub. Crank 'em up.
    ...and last, but not least...

11. Buy lots of diamonds & shoes for my wife, hopefully distracting her from the ten large speakers in the living room and my complete takeover of the entire bottom floor of our house.

12. Donate to Lansing Heritage site, hoping to not exceed the patience of helpful veterans with bottom-feeder-type questions.

Thanks,

je
    I'll have 10 days very soon (1/18-1/28, I'm moving to our new VA house, my wife's still in NY for a couple more weeks) to give some more attention to this list, so, if anyone still cares, here's a long-winded update with some more useless info:
    1. 4333s are playing in my LR, need replacement binding posts at a minimum. They'll ultimately be on their sides next to the TV, so the 2405s also need to be turned on their sides, too. Might fire 'em up with some different amps I have lying around (Adcom 2535/Yamaha P2100/Crown DC300A/Denon PMA-920/Urei 6260/etc.) just out of curiousity.
    2. New grille cloth is in their future, but not on this month's list.
    3. The four filthier L46s are gutted, waiting to go to my woodworker friend for freshening (barter is good). Should happen this month. They'll be the L/C/R & spare for the 5.1 in the LR, with the 4333s dedicated to music. Two more L46s will be rears, they're pretty clean and should just need to be freshened up with the oil/turpentine mix JBL recommends. Twist-lock terminals are solid, but might all swap for binding posts.
    4. Done, with a spare.
    5. I'll at least photograph my 2135, I can't seem to find any pics of one on line other than OEM lit. I know I had it re-coned in the late 80's, I'll be checking to see if it was an OEM re-cone kit as well. I made note a while back of a Cabaret series cabinet that might make a good home for this speaker, might need to follow up on that or plan a DIY.
    6. A little too cold to spray the CV/E120 cabs outside, this might wait for Spring. I'll take a look at the internal construction of the cabs, though, & make a plan for bracing. Take pics while I'm in there. These have tweets & x-overs by the way, they'll be monitors unless I stay with floor wedges, in that case...don't know where the E120s will go.
    7. Got the L100 cabs & tweets from NoRealTalent, slapped 'em together in 2 seconds giving little thought to phasing & such (L100 Century cabs & x-overs with 4312 components installed). I'll re-visit binding posts (I remember a third hole on the plates that need to be plugged), check polarity, clean L-Pads. No grille frames or grilles, but I think these might be flush-mounted into a wall. I'll have to amputate any fingers that even look like they're moving towards pushing in a dust cap, though.
    8. The TR225s will still sit, for now, unless I get ambitious enough to change the carpet in the new studio room- then I'd have to move them. In that case I might fire 'em up just to check them out. Not expecting much more than sounding like big Eons.
    9. I've got some more toys for this 1x15" & 2x10" project, but it's not high on the list. I'll measure up the cabinet for the 15" driver section, and see if it's better suited for the E140 (current) or maybe the 2135.
    10. Got LE10Hs on the way from Giskard (hey, thanks!), they'll replace the current Vifa woofers in the L110 cabs. Of course, now I'm thinking that these might have originally had LE111As in them (haven't seen any definitive reference chart that would tell me for sure), and I'm wondering how the differences in TS parameters between the two models could affect what I'm likely to hear- food for another thread. These boxes were garbage picked wooferless, so they've never been pretty, but I might give Wayne a shot at them since I'll now have 6 pairs of black walnut JBLs, might as well have all the cabs looking decent. Sold the grilles from these to a forum member, though, not that I ever used them.
    Additions:
    1. Put corners on my Altec 8256 cab, and check where I left the wiring (had tried 2 variants, both 15"s full range or one full range/one with a low pass at ~800Hz). Not sure I had any preference, but I do remember somewhat light gauge internal wiring. This is for bass guitar in a small studio room. If anyone's interested I'll take pics of this beast as well (two 3156 Altec 15" drivers).
    2. Pile all the JBLs (or at least one pair of each model) into the LR, take pics and maybe wire up a speaker selector box for a crude A/B/C/D demo with 4333s/L100s/L110s/L46s. Just 'cause I can, at least before my wife moves down in February.
    je

I'll have 10 days very soon (1/18-1/28, I'm moving to our new VA house, my wife's still in NY for a couple more weeks)
    Where about in Virgina?

My list still includes re-foaming four 128H and two PR-300s, then maybe rebuilding the N2400s in the 030s.

Obsolete
    Got LE10Hs on the way from Giskard (hey, thanks!)
    I sure hope you got them already. They were delivered on the 10th.
    31.9 lbs. Jan 10, 2007 11:38 AM Delivered Little Neck, NY Signed for by LSCAATC

Tung-oil the veneer on the 4530s, and build some new bases for the Dorians. Oh, and build some brackets for the 511Bs, so the wife can have her rice back. I just discovered this DIY forum here. Duh, Jay

Thread Information