Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone familiar with this Altec compression driver

Are there any other numbers anywhere that might indicate a mfr code? Altec used a 6-digit mfr/date code, 391XXX. The rubber boot can be easily "rolled off" to inspect underneath. A picture of the phase plug under the diaphragm would be helpful too, as Altec's Tangerine pp was a trademark-protected proprietary device not likely to be cloned.

Waldom!

Just googled 1244-8A, the first return was for a closed eBay listing of a driver like yours, but with the "Waldom" logo still intact on the label;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9718861524

Waldom manufactured speaker components and complete drivers for many brands over the years, but I always thought they were wholesalers only, as I'd never seen any Waldom-labeled finished goods. Perhaps this was a remnant of a limited production run of a prototype that never flew, maybe one that was on the drawing board during Altec's demise.

jimd
    What you have is a set of Zomax drivers made in Tiawan. They are not too good clones of the Altecs, have anular phasing plugs and a diaphragm with a different curvature. At a glance they look like an ALTEC. They were imported by Waldon, but they sure were a lot cheaper.

Have a happy day, JIM

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    Just googled 1244-8A, the first return was for a closed eBay listing of a driver like yours, but with the "Waldom" logo still intact on the label;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9718861524

Waldom manufactured speaker components and complete drivers for many brands over the years, but I always thought they were wholesalers only, as I'd never seen any Waldom-labeled finished goods. Perhaps this was a remnant of a limited production run of a prototype that never flew, maybe one that was on the drawing board during Altec's demise.

Thats as far as I got also. I was somewhat zeroing in on Waldom but I couldnt find a photo match. Thanks

RC

Quote Originally Posted by jimd
    What you have is a set of Zomax drivers made in Tiawan. They are not too good clones of the Altecs, have anular phasing plugs and a diaphragm with a different curvature. At a glance they look like an ALTEC. They were imported by Waldon, but they sure were a lot cheaper.

Have a happy day, JIM
    Well, Good thing I paid a "Zomax" price for them and not a Altec one. Actually I have been tweeking and dialing them in and Im finally onto something. Last sunday I was about to toss them out the window but things have improved much since then. Th active x-over thing is new to me and it took some experimentation to get the settings right. Even at that point I still had some nasty resonances in that horn that was eliminated by adding mass to horn and isolating it better.

They arent sounding too damn bad now.

RC

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe
    ... still had some nasty resonances in that horn that was eliminated by adding mass to horn and isolating it better.

They arent sounding too damn bad now.

RC
    many ppl will dampen the ALtec 811/511 horns as well.... a common method is to mix latex paint with sand and apply coats of the mixture until the horn is 'dead' when rapped with one's knuckles... but then your horn looks like it contracted venereal warts...

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    many ppl will dampen the ALtec 811/511 horns as well.... a common method is to mix latex paint with sand and apply coats of the mixture until the horn is 'dead' when rapped with one's knuckles... but then your horn looks like it contracted venereal warts...
    I have seen a few methods that people have used. The one you are mentioning is a little unsightly as you are saying . The rope caulk system would work also I guess but It would take a truckload of the stuff and the patience of a saint to apply it. I am using ziplock bags of rice (about 2-3 lbs each) resting on top of the horns. Not the prettiest either but effective.

I had to interrupt and wrap up my last post quickly because the phone was ringing and forgot to thank everyone for help in identifing these drivers.

Thanks much!
    RC

Altec or not, I have them dialed in pretty well. It was quite a struggle but worth the effort.

I thought that I would share a couple of picks of the final setup. A friend is coming into a pair of nice mid drivers and one 511b horn. He is not a horn/tube guy so with some persuasion and a little cash money, they might be coming my way (I dont know how i picked that other smilie)

In the mean time I will be enjoying my system the way it is.

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information