Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with this Altec compression driver

Anyone familiar with this Altec compression driver

In preforming a search on the site, I was unable to come up with a match for a ALtec compression driver (1044-16a)

I won a auction for these mystery Altec drivers and D.A.S. horns at a not to be mentioned auction site. The seller provided these numbers for the drivers but I think that they are related to something else stamped or marked on them.

I not really sure what Im going to end up with but Im a gambling man with a horn jones. They tested at 12 ohm on the sellers voltmeter so Im getting "16 ohm" compressions drivers and thats good by me but the 1044 designation is non-existant in the library.

thanks
    Ron

Mystery Driver

You KNOW the drill:

We need PICS!!!

I know you slave driver

I just won them yesterday. Let me go steal the few pics she had of them and I will post those.

Ron

This is the best that I can co for now. They shipped today and should be here by weeks end.

Oh by the way, As you can see by the one driver pic, they must of been 8 ohm and changed out to 16 at some point if you believe the voltmeter. I spoke with her by email and she sounds legit. 99+ pos. seller with 5500+ transactions but mostly reel to reel tapes and the like.

They came out of a church and were most likely used as part of a program sound system of some kind. They measure 27" x 20" deep, no height of the horn was provided and I didnt ask.

Here are some of the photos
    Attached Images Attached Images      

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Is that the symbiotik diaphragm? the outer edge of the diaphragm looks like the original ones in a pair of 808-8Bs I have....

Yes, that is symbiotik!

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    Is that the symbiotik diaphragm? the outer edge of the diaphragm looks like the original ones in a pair of 808-8Bs I have....
    If not, I would have gone with 902 or 909's.

Funny how the model nr is just a label sticker, not foilcal like most I have seen!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    If not, I would have gone with 902 or 909's.

Funny how the model nr is just a label sticker, not foilcal like most I have seen!

Ron

Hey Ron, So is 808-16A the general consensus so far?

RC

908's or 909's is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe
    Hey Ron, So is 808-16A the general consensus so far?

RC
    808's are alnico and 908 if the ferrite equivalent ferrite driver.

As least that is my 2 cents worth guess!

Ron

For some reason that looks to be some type of clone driver? The depth of the magnet looks different as well as the diameter? Maybe wierd angle pictures? The design of the rear label does have a bit of a altec look to it? When you get them in your hands let us see more pictures and maybe we can figure this out?

Just took another look at the picture, that is a clone for sure. That Diaphragm is not altec, Voice coil leads are different than altec.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    where the cap mounts to the driver appears different than the alnico altec drivers that i have seen (802G/808B)

edit***nevermind me -- just never seen the rubber boot mentioned below....***

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Just took another look at the picture, that is a clone for sure......
    I agree. It has the rubber boot of a 900 series, but is too thick to be one. It appears to have a 900 series rear cover and pseudo-label, but the glaring lack of the Altec logo on the label really tells the tale.

Well, It should be interesting to hear what they sound like. Your right about being close but not matching the Altec compression drivers you have mentioned. The rear cover sure looks like Altec but nothing else to indentify them as such. Did Altec make drivers for other private label companies? Maybe like you guys are saying, just someones "knockoff". At 27" across, the horns are actually larger than it would appear in the photo (to me anyway) so maybe the driver looks smaller than it actually is.

The D.A.S. horns are inentifiable for obvious reasons but their website has no info on old or discontinued products.

RC

I've heard that Waldom issued some 900-series knock-offs, but I've not been able to verify that. 291/299 rear covers have the same shape as 900s, but these don't look like LFs either. The photos don't show for sure, but they appear to be a 2-bolt pattern, which would eliminate Altec's large-format line. Also no holes in the fram to tweak the locating pins, if LF. I give up....

Well, Im sure not sure what they are. The number on the drivers is actually 1244 8a. The must of been in for a voice coil repair or something at one point because it was changed to a 16a.

The compression driver is @5" in diameter and 3" deep must weigh 6-7 lbs easy. Im not entirely in love with these yet but Im continuing to dial them in. They will have to do until I can get the driver/horn combo I really want.

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information