Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What music have you purchased lately?

Latest CD's

Nice to see the comments about Patrica Barber's style and recording quality. Doesn't the standup bass sound awesome? Almost any studio could record it like that, and any board could mix it that full range. I wish they would...

Yesterday at Borders, bargain hunting:

The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra (another earlier recording)
    Duke Ellington - The Bubber Miley Era: 1924-1929 (No need to ask, it's beyond great if you like this style)
    Sonny Stitt - The Last Sessions, Volumes One and Two (Haven't heard it yet)

Last week in Door county, used at a new age shop:
    Paul Winter, Canyon. "Grand Canyon Sunrise" sat me down, I couldn't stand. What a magnificient piece of music. This album is not Canyon Lullaby. Warning - the desert drum does have snares and did send me running to the speakers to see what was wrong. Hey, it was dark and I didn't read the liner notes first.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Patricia Barber

That's funny, I just posted about her in another thread.

I will be investigating other cd's of hers that's for sure. I quite enjoy her style. Talk about unusual arrangements.

Her version's of "Witchcraft" and "Norwegian Wood" are different to say the least. It's not just her but her fellow muscians that are world class. I only have "A Fortnight In France" at this time but have ordered 2 others.

Some may want to try "Marla Glen" as well. I picked up "This is Marla Glen" Vogue 1993. Very good! Great, unique vocal style. Well recorded.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve Gonzales

Thumbs up New to me. Sting: The Soul Cages

I like this thread, it is a great way to find great music that is also recorded with quailty too. I bought a copy of Sting's " The Soul Cages" (A&M 75021 6405 2 ) and gave it a listen. I found this to be a wonderful mix of songs. Sting is in classic form. It was recorded in 1990 and released in 91'. The quality of the recording is outstanding!. The synth, brass and strings will delight with their airiness and Sting's complex bass work is nothing short of awesome. Try it, you'll like it -S.G.

Thumbs up Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    I like this thread, it is a great way to find great music that is also recorded with quailty too. I bought a copy of Sting's " The Soul Cages" (A&M 75021 6405 2 ) and gave it a listen. I found this to be a wonderful mix of songs. Sting is in classic form. It was recorded in 1990 and released in 91'. The quality of the recording is outstanding!. The synth, brass and strings will delight with their airiness and Sting's complex bass work is nothing short of awesome. Try it, you'll like it -S.G.

Yes, it is a wonderful musical experience.

As a side note, I bought the Soul Cages live LaserDisc back in the early '90s, and Sting is in fine form there as well. As the promotional tour for the album, it has lots of Soul Cages music on it, but it also has lots of earlier Sting and Police music, too. Nice if you can find it and have an LD player with digital out and a decent OpAmp to send it through.
    Out.

Prince?!

I never thought I'd buy a Prince CD (sorry, no offense to all you Prince fans out there!), but you don't have to be a fan to like this one.
    Name:  ONA.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  6.5 KB
    It's a 3-cd set titled One Night Alone - Live. A phrase in the included booklet says it all, ' Real music by real musicians'. Believe me, after hearing this one, one cannot help but re-appraise Prince's talents as a musician (guitar, keyboards, vocalist) and entertainer as top-notch. If you love funky, smooth jazz, R&B, and rock & roll, this set may be for you.

Too bad I have this junky dial up! I go over to a buddy's house who has Cable modem and he goes to a site and can play snipps of various artists to get a feel for their style. Might be amazon.
    I have to say his PC sound is quite nice with just a simple Altec system but I could spend hours searching out new music.

Keep them comming, I keep a list for when I go visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K
    I never thought I'd buy a Prince CD (sorry, no offense to all you Prince fans out there!), but you don't have to be a fan to like this one.
    Name:  ONA.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  6.5 KB
    It's a 3-cd set titled One Night Alone - Live. A phrase in the included booklet says it all, ' Real music by real musicians'. Believe me, after hearing this one, one cannot help but re-appraise Prince's talents as a musician (guitar, keyboards, vocalist) and entertainer as top-notch. If you love funky, smooth jazz, R&B, and rock & roll, this set may be for you.
    That's the one with Larry Graham on bass? Awesome stuff, just sit and listen for his playing all the way through the show, it's worth it.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
    That's the one with Larry Graham on bass? Awesome stuff, just sit and listen for his playing all the way through the show, it's worth it.

je
    Yeah, right! Just a couple of days before I bought this CD set, I rented Prince's Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas DVD, just for the heck of it actually, like I said before that I wasn't particularly a fan of his. So it was an unexpected and pleasant surprise to see a live performance that was so very good. I heartily recommend the DVD as well! I've yet to find one for myself.

Boz Scaggs: Dig

In a discussion on the JBL Studio L Series, I read this post:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=118
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959

Oh while I'm here...Tuesday the main CD I listen to was Dig by Boz Scaggs, great CD and has lots of REAL and DEEP BASS...real musical bass and NOT computer generated movie crap bass
    I swear, I hear about the BEST music on this forum! So - on Rick's recommendation, I went to Amazon and found a used copy of the CD and ... he's right - absolutely GREAT stuff!
    Very close and intimate vocals ... nice full bass and great horns, smooth songs. Its my current must-play CD to show off the speakers or just chill ...

Thanks to JBLnsince1959 for the tip!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    Thanks to JBLnsince1959 for the tip!
    Heather:

You're welcome.... I first heard it in a high end speaker place here in KC...Great stuff..while I was talking to the owner my attention kept going to the music that was playing so Isaid who's that?... and he said Boz Scaggs..I say WHAT!!?!

anyway, it's become one of my favorites and when people come over to my house to listen and said WHERE"S THE BASS ( most people are use to hearing their boxes or over powered bass and I set my stuff flat) so I put in that CD, play a few tunes....then I say "there's the bass, it's in music"...

anyway, glad you like the Boz CD.

Right now I'm listening to Robbie Robertson and the Red Road Ensemble - music for The Native Americans....cool, way cool...Really great music when you're traveling off road.....top down..... at night..... in the deep desert........no one but you, GOD and the surrounding spirits

Boston's debut and the follow-up Don't Look Back...Just released re-
    masters. Much better bottom end, but kind of hard to improve a
    pretty good recording from the start. Guitars were also brought
    "forward". Well worth the $.
    Pioneer VSX1015TX
    Musical Concepts/Hafler DH500
    Musical Concepts/Hafler DH220
    4344mkII
    L44
    LC1-CENTER
    Definitive Technolgy Pro Sub
    Panasonic 46" LCD HDTV
    Monster HTS3500 Power Center

Hey turnitup,
    That sounds like a winner ! I became a fan after working on Tom Scholz private airplane. Also gave him 20 min. car ride from the intl airport to the muni airport where I worked on his plane. My brush with fame. 3rd stage is also good. Found RUSH moving pictures in a master. Rock on...

Music of the Beatles

I recently bought "Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra Perform Music of the Beatles"; see this page for the details of the recording:
    http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title...9TW92U1A0RASX4

The songs with less interesting lyrics -- and let's face it: there are many such songs by the Beatles -- are performed in purely intrumental versions. Other songs are performed a capella by 4 classically trained male singers. Yet other songs are performed by the 4 singers accompanied by the Cincinnati Pops.

There are a few problems with the microphones -- faulty connections --, but it is otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable SACD.

CCR - Willie & the Poor Boys.....one of Creedences best
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I have been enjoying the new release from Cold War Kids...robbers & cowards

Thread Information