Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The JBL 4345 Club

Nice

No doubt you will enjoy them. Having been the previous owner of a members pair, I still suffer from 4345 envy. I wish I could own many systems.

GT, that was a great read. Thanks for sharing. I don't think anyone would have expected such a detailed and forthcoming post. As for the interest in your "old technology", good engineering is timeless. In some ways, we long for the days that were.

Thanks for your generosity.

The Forum

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    They're here:
    A little contribution from germany-they work well here!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool...

I like the cabinet work. Are these DIY home brews or did you reskin a pair of factory made 4345s with an additional layer of plywood and front trim?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers

Thank you all for the interest in my work. I must admit I have been blessed with a really nice profession that has treated me well for a very long time. Remember that sound and music enjoyment are very personal things and that what makes you happy may or may not please others. Screw them. If you are happy and no one is geting hurt then go for it. No loudspeaker system even approaches real life so there is plenty of room for interpretation.
    You say thank you, but, we here on the forum scream "THANK YOU GREG!!" For giving us all these wonderful things to listen to and enjoy!!

Thanks again Greg!!
    Shane and LHF!!
    Always fun learning more.......

There is a lot in Greg's post and it certainly put clarity around what we have here. Just what the doctor ordered.

Well this has all been a great reaction everyone

Keep the posts and dialogue happening.

For those who are wondering what the factory crossover is about, here is a glimpse.

cc Bo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Cool...

I like the cabinet work. Are these DIY home brews or did you reskin a pair of factory made 4345s with an additional layer of plywood and front trim?

Widget
    I am glad that you like it,Mr.Widget. These are original 4345's done with maple-wood;today I would prefer the original veneer, of course but anyway, they look very nice.

With retro grille cloth they would really look like some of the early JBL speakers... admittedly on steroids.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    But lookie - those 2245H's have already dislodged your preamp!
    Dammit, Bo!

I KNEW you were going to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    I'll be excited to know your thoughts after getting an EQ into the signal path, if that's the plan. And, I'm sure either Widget or myself could be talked into making a run up there with some test gear, if you're in-need.
    That's a very generous offer. When I'm ready to make good use of that effort I just may take you up on it. For the time being, since I have to get off this merry-go-round to focus on another project, I will be biamping with the 5235. When I feel I can use the time necessary I have a pair of White EQ's and also will attempt to make some cards for the DX-1.

David

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    'Guess instead of your coming by for a listen of my XPL200's I should be going to your place for a listen! What kind of beer do you like?
    Nay! We still must do both! I will not be able to take the time until August, so until then you must hang on to both pairs of those fine fourways.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    That's a very generous offer. When I'm ready to make good use of that effort I just may take you up on it.
    Cool. I'd like to see what differences there are from my room and signal path. I do gigs up north from Fairfax to Ukiah not infrequently, so it may not be too inconvenient for me when you are ready.

BTW, my role would be solely as technician, not as engineer. You can set whatever curve / response you desire - I just wanna help you measure it...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Drop me a line when this meeting of the 4345 minds occurs... I'd like to tag along.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    With retro grille cloth they would really look like some of the early JBL speakers... admittedly on steroids.
    That was my reaction too. They look like the Alvin Lustig designed systems from the early 50's. I quite like the look.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    That was my reaction too. They look like the Alvin Lustig designed systems from the early 50's. I quite like the look.
    I agree- they look like Alvin Lustig designed cabs.
    I think they're beautiful! I love the maple. I just wouldn't put Alvin's legs on them.

Nice job.

Congratulations Dave....we're gonna have some fun....

Smaart, 040506

This evenings resultant response curve, in FFT. Not bad.

Lpads at "0", except the midbass which is at "-1". Don't ask me why... :dont-know

Now, off to some red wine and a "4345 Session"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information