Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The JBL 4345 Club

If you have some flexibility with room placement in the new location you can get a nice result. Particularly if you adjust them correctly. They really come alive then.

Quote Originally Posted by atilsley View Post
    Currently working on a 4345 DIY, using Tasmanian Oak veneer over high grade Euro Birch ply. CAD/CNC'd baffles.

Quality gathering of drivers.

Massive project to upgrade xover, using passive for top three channels, plus active bass.

Gryphon amps will be used.

The gent I'm building these for requested a brighter blue...called Dulux Wing Man. Ports to be painted blue.

I'm refitting the tweeter...so this is incorrectly shown in the photos.

Stands are 100mm tall in matching Oak veneer/trim.

I've had some preliminary listening sessions using my crappy small amps...and these speakers are sounding remarkable.

A wonderful project....not without complexity.

Andrew
    🟢Hello Friend! Where can I buy the Woofer 2245H?

Hello JBL 4345 users and all other LHS legacy users.

How are you all going?

What l am here today for is to ask how are you enjoying your clones and stock systems?

Aside from adventurous modifications that we dream of and that new amp we can't afford yet is there anything such as an acoustic annoyance you wish you could control?
    I know some use dsp. If you can share what you have found helps I would love to hear it.

Away from here in your homes its about your enjoyment and those little things you would like to improve. Funnily enough the audible detractors are not necessarily the loudspeaker. It might be the limited options for placement of these large floor standing systems or the contemporary nature of your room acoustics. Then there are noises like grounding loops that are difficult to resolve completely.

Does anyone remember the sub sonic filter on their Dad's integrated amplifier? Then there were things like the loudness button and the tone controls. Not that these types of controls belong on an active crossover but they sure got used back in the day. Something more targeted or subtle could be useful.

Now the why?

You might have heard me mumble occasionally about active crossovers and something better. Now that things in some respects are more like the old normal I am in the middle designing a more modern DX1 which GT calls the monster DX1. That's because the monster goes much further than the DX1's feature set. As you know only a few DX1's escaped the dumpster thanks to Harman.

The design goals were to increased dynamic, lower distortion and provide precise crossover characteristics with plug in pre set cards. Add precise level trimmers, power amp gain matching, balanced connections and un-balanced ground cancelling if required. Secondly, to bi amp or tri amp in a number of configurations.

Please post your thoughts here.

Say what comes into your head and don't be shy. But don't go over board......

The Prizes
    There will a prizes from down under for the most interesting responses. Like a big picture of Bindi Erwin and stuffed kangaroo from Australia Zoo which is only a short drive from my residence. If you want a Croc we can do that.....

https://www.instagram.com/bindisueirwin/?hl=en

If you are indeed looking at creating a new analog electronic crossover you could look to updating the venerable BSS FDS360. The capacity for setting the crossover frequencies and slopes with plug in cards and creating parametric EQ filters with other cards really made those the ultimate expression of the genre. Going beyond the two filter limit of the 360s would be a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hello JBL 4345 users and all other LHS legacy users.

You might have heard me mumble occasionally about active crossovers and something better. Now that things in some respects are more like the old normal I am in the middle designing a more modern DX1 which GT calls the monster DX1. That's because the monster goes much further than the DX1's feature set. As you know only a few DX1's escaped the dumpster thanks to Harman.

The design goals were to increased dynamic, lower distortion and provide precise crossover characteristics with plug in pre set cards. Add precise level trimmers, power amp gain matching, balanced connections and un-balanced ground cancelling if required. Secondly, to bi amp or tri amp in a number of configurations.

Please post your thoughts here.

Hi Riley,

You make a good observation.

The intent is to provide an active crossover specific to a range of pre determined loudspeaker designs.

The FDS 360 manual makes a good point on provision for EQ capability within the active crossover for economic reasons and to secure the settings.

There is an opportunity to explore that space, obtain an awareness, some insights and put the toe in the water with some built in capability. The question is does the 43xx User need or want it?

Let’s hear from more these people.

Edit: l should point out that elsewhere people take great delight in l posting measurements and then look for every conceivable imperfection.
    This is not the intent here. The approach here is to target areas where the room is impacting on the response. This is typically below 400 hertz.

EQ cannot solve everything. Used correctly it can help. Sometimes room treatments are the only means of modifying the effect of the indirect or reflected sound you hear in your room. Adding a subtle EQ to high frequencies does reduce the overall HF brightness in a room with hard flat surfaces. But you loose the HF details (logically) when you do that.

Typically EQ is used for tonal shaping on a mixing console channel or in a graphic EQ to modify the tonal balance. Back in the Day a HiFi Preamp had bass and treble controls for recordings that were tonally not to your liking.
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 05-02-2022 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Additional information

Thread Information