Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The JBL 4345 Club

Best 4345 builds I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by schloerch View Post
    A little contribution from germany-they work well here!
    Hi Schloerch, just want to say that those are the nicest looking 4345 builds I've seen. Do you still have these or have you sold them? If you don't mind me asking, how thick is the wood on the enclosure? 35mm?

Can't wait til' we build my 4345's!

Hi Ian,

Looking forward to getting started with my 4345 builds.

Back to Oz on 11th August and plan to be in Melbourne the week following.

Hopefully you'll be free for another catch up.

Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Small rooms can be used but there will be lots of room modes or peaks and dips in the bass.

An ideal room would have no less than 1 1/2 metres from the speakers to any side walls and say 3 metres apart so look at 6 metres wide.

Then allow the same behind the speakers and 3 metres behind the listening position so look at 9 or 10 metres in length. This is just a guide line. Avoid excessively long rooms or rooms with hard walls like brick or glass.

The in room response is flat to 30 hertz at full power and with the linearity of the 2245 woofer it will sound effortless.

I would not loose sleep on this as you are going to have a lot of fun just getting them going.

When you get them going plan on having the next day off work as you will be up all night listening and posting what is happening!

Okay,

11th August is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricpan View Post
    I have an all original set that i am biamping. I was thinking about building a set of crossovers or upgrading the set I have. I also am using a processor, Electro-voice DX38, for the biamp. What do you guys think about a crossover mod?

This will give you some insights on the way the stock crossover is connected.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ial&highlight=

If you plan to build new charge coupled crossovers (or get someone to do it) the wiring codes are in this thread which should reduce a lot of confusion.

There are some good example of that on the forums

The stock crossover loops the signal back from the L pads and then to the drivers.

That is a lot of press on connections and a lot of wire.

That and the rotary bi amp switch creates measurable insertion loss and an audible impact on sound quality.

If you really wanted you could remove the Mylar caps and put in something better.
    (I put in SA Clarity caps bypassed by Auricaps .01) it's reputidly a good combination according to some users who wanted to go that route. You would also want to bypass the biamp switch and upgrade the binding posts.

There is not enough room for charge coupling on the original boards.

Has anyone tried using magnets to mount the grill badges? One of mine has fallen off. Looks the the previous owner might have tried a few different methods. I was thinking you could hot glue a thin piece of metal to the back of the badge and then us a magnet on the inside of the grill cloth? I think the badges are aluminum and aren't magnetic so you'd need to glue something to them to make it magnetic.

I don't see any harm in trying that. It could be, however, that even so little weight would pull the fabric enough to change how the light comes off it.

One speaker I had (I think it was the 4333a) used tie tack type studs going through a bracket mounted on the grille frame. You could apply your magnet idea in the same way, setting the bracket and magnet so the magnet just brushes the inside of the fabric. You'd have to make your own brackets, of course, so it could get a little complicated. Your method certainly worth trying first.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Some trivia.

A few months ago we moved house to a new property and l was “told” they needed to be re decorated “before” they were coming inside the new house.

Well, l am 80% there and they are in the new AV room (mine). Unfortunately they won’t be going in main “pavillion” (hers) but perhaps it will be arranged for special occasions.

Now onto some more I interesting stuff.

There is an opportunity coming up to directly compare the 2122H mid cone with the 2123H in the 4345 enclosures.

If time permits l will solicit some subjective feedback from impartial “audiophile nuts” (and yours truly JBL loyalist but l am biased ...no pun intended).

The plan is to also arrange a ground plane frequency response measurement of both drivers and the system with LinearX LMS. What that means is it will be done outside and will be precise.

I will also trial my new discrete 2 way active crossover that can be calibrated for the specific bi amp requirements of the 43xx and the 44Xx Bi Radial series pro monitors. More on that in due course.

If there is sufficient interest l will post some details of the comparisons and evaluations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Some trivia.

A few months ago we moved house to a new property and l was “told” they needed to be re decorated “before” they were coming inside the new house.

Well, l am 80% there and they are in the new AV room (mine). Unfortunately they won’t be going in main “pavillion” (hers) but perhaps it will be arranged for special occasions.

Now onto some more I interesting stuff.

There is an opportunity coming up to directly compare the 2122H mid cone with the 2123H in the 4345 enclosures.

If time permits l will solicit some subjective feedback from impartial “audiophile nuts” (and yours truly JBL loyalist but l am biased ...no pun intended).

The plan is to also arrange a ground plane frequency response measurement of both drivers and the system with LinearX LMS. What that means is it will be done outside and will be precise.

I will also trial my new discrete 2 way active crossover that can be calibrated for the specific bi amp requirements of the 43xx and the 44Xx Bi Radial series pro monitors. More on that in due course.

If there is sufficient interest l will post some details of the comparisons and evaluations.
    Great!since so many guys here like 4345,i have very interesting to know the details
    46 lover

Currently working on a 4345 DIY, using Tasmanian Oak veneer over high grade Euro Birch ply. CAD/CNC'd baffles.

Quality gathering of drivers.

Massive project to upgrade xover, using passive for top three channels, plus active bass.

Gryphon amps will be used.

The gent I'm building these for requested a brighter blue...called Dulux Wing Man. Ports to be painted blue.

I'm refitting the tweeter...so this is incorrectly shown in the photos.

Stands are 100mm tall in matching Oak veneer/trim.

I've had some preliminary listening sessions using my crappy small amps...and these speakers are sounding remarkable.

A wonderful project....not without complexity.

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images     

With pic of xover

Adjustable for top three channels. Active bass using DEX.

A+ for presentation
    (crossover)

Just a heads up l will post a discussion comparing the 2122H and the 2123 soon.

Btw l auditioned the much talk about Dynaudio Focus 60XD today.

It’s a nice active loudspeaker. It has 4x 150 Watt amps per box and some serious dsp horse power.
    RRP $15000+

I later played the same cds on my 4345 clones with a custom hi-end analogue active crossover and Pass Labs amps. The 4345’s completely blew away the 60XD on all fronts. Effortlessness, soundstage depth, instrumental clarity and vocal definition was in a completely different league. As they say nothing even comes close.

So don’t even think about trading your 4345’s anytime soon!

Just a heads up l will post a discussion comparing the 2122H and the 2123 soon.
    Hello Ian been there done that I am curious if we will reach the same conclusion

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Well that saves me time and effort....Lol

What were your conclusions and how did you arrive at them?

As to been there done that you may have but many people are late to the party and they would no doubt be interested in your observations.

Here below is a simple near field spl measurement with the tip of the calibrated test mic 1 cm off the centre of the dust cap.

You can see the raw driver response in pink and the passive network response in brown. The divisions are 5 db.
    The driver is remarkably smooth and is about -4 dB down at 1.5 khertz.

The passive filter is highly effective in attenuation of the break up modes at higher frequencies. The response is -30 dB down at 2 khertz and -4 db at 340 hertz.

I will try and post a comparison of the 2122 driver over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by atilsley View Post
    Currently working on a 4345 DIY, using Tasmanian Oak veneer over high grade Euro Birch ply. CAD/CNC'd baffles.

Quality gathering of drivers.

Massive project to upgrade xover, using passive for top three channels, plus active bass.

Gryphon amps will be used.

The gent I'm building these for requested a brighter blue...called Dulux Wing Man. Ports to be painted blue.

I'm refitting the tweeter...so this is incorrectly shown in the photos.

Stands are 100mm tall in matching Oak veneer/trim.

I've had some preliminary listening sessions using my crappy small amps...and these speakers are sounding remarkable.

A wonderful project....not without complexity.

Andrew

Amazing work! Well done
    Jbl L15, S4600

Thread Information