Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The JBL 4345 Club

Thanks Greg

I for one appreciate your time and suggestions. Like you alluded to, in the end the most important thing is pleasing yourself.

Best Wishes
    AL

Great Post!!!

Rob

Wow! I'm speechless...if only to say that to hear from the designer of a 22+ year old system (who actually recalls the minute details)...where else could this happen?

Thanks Greg, if I was to look back 22 years on my career, I couldn't be anywhere near as eloquent or as detailed.

I am now REALLY looking forward to resurrecting my recent Canadian 4345 acquisition and comparing them to my current set up.
    Charles.

Gtimbers:

it's a real pleasure to be able to learn the "real story". all I can say after reading your post is...WOW

Thanks for taking the time to post. It really means a lot to us.

jomina
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    My sonic memory of the big 4 ways, the last of which was the 4344MkII
    Hi,

These

Don't count, then

Joel - in Tokyo and off to demo a pair of 4428s later today. We'll be A/Bing with 4338s, which is a bit unfair, but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by jomina
    Joel - in Tokyo and off to demo a pair of 4428s later today. We'll be A/Bing with 4338s, which is a bit unfair, but that's life.
    Boy!! you guys get all the good stuff.

I'm going to have to go to Tokyo, see some friends and go JBL'n

I am humbled...but overjoyed

My sad, dead misbegotten thread seeking comparisons between the 4345 and the 250ti did not live and die in vain. As only one of the members voicing curiosity about some of the most beloved designs JBL has graced the faithful with, I add my heartfelt thanks to Mr. Timbers for presenting his take on the situation.

That take, of course, is the one I most wanted to hear. I am personally in debt for the rest of this millenium or so to Mr. Timbers for taking the time to craft his most informed, and above all thoughtful response to our curiosity. At no time did I ever think this magnificent response would ever really occur, being only the stuff of dreams for me. I would have been well and truely pleased by the most brief response possible. To be given an informed analysis as well as solutions for the shortcomings discussed, as well as personal feelings about the designs and our interest in them, I can't find the words. Well, there are five. Thank you very, very much.

I have to add that as an owner, I am a hog in heaven over all the detailed information about the 4345's. Who needs an old owner's manual when we can read this! I am glad I obtained my babies before this post. I can't imagine what the next pair, if ever offered, will sell for after this. As much and perhaps more potential than the 250, my goodness. Last week would have been a great time to bag a pair of 250's as well.

I think all fans of both of these speakers have been declared "winners," and I hope all are feeling as elated as I am right now.

I need to add that the newest owner has also read the post. He is pretty high on it as well. One happy Californian.

This is a good time for me to thank Ian, Bo, Widget and Ken for baiting the trap with their mouth watering descriptions of the virtue of this once under the radar speaker, the 4345. And to Subwoof for chosing me as the next caretaker, curator actually, of his wonderfully restored pair. But most of all to Greg Timbers for his thought and work in bringing these into existence.

Please excuse any spelling errors, I am really excited.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

So Grateful

They're here:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congratulations!

So the 4333s weren't big enough for ya?

Widget

Thanks. Yeah, this size seems like a natural to me.

David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    The network components should be updated and this isn't easy. All the capacitors should be polypropylene and you would want to use air core inductors where ever possible. I believe the 4345 used some tapped iron cores. Those are hard to replace with aircores because the surrounding network topology would have to change and all of the values have to be re-engineered. I would suggest leaving them alone unless you are really good at this stuff.

If you can swing it, go to a biased network. The difference is unbelievable.
    As we discussed in your office I have one pair of 4344's and one pair of 4355's that are getting the non-tapped autotransformer versions of the filters you helped me redesign several years ago. I believe one forum member is seriously considering doing a pair of 4345's as well. Thanks once again for those voltage drives along with the tapped-autotransformers for measurements. Several other members have asked for the schematics and I will make them available once I finish one pair of each of the networks. For those who are interested in how to model tapped autotransformers David Smith also played a key role by graciously providing the tapped autotransformer model and matrix found at this link - Tapped Autotransformers

Everyone that has done biased networks has responded very positively. I personally think they're great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    My sad, dead misbegotten thread seeking comparisons between the 4345 and the 250ti did not live and die in vain. As only one of the members voicing curiosity about some of the most beloved designs JBL has graced the faithful with, I add my heartfelt thanks to Mr. Timbers for presenting his take on the situation.
    Yes, thank you Greg for including the 250Ti as per my request. Like I mentioned, the number of questions are probably endless but any time you can drop by and knock one or two out it is genuinely appreciated by virtually every single reader of this forum. The significance of your participation is staggering. As Don can attest, I've often expressed my hope that you would be able to find the time. This is truly fantastic!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    They're here:
    Very nice Dave! They look great.

Yeah, this size seems like a natural to me.
    Good grief, speakerdave!! Cool succession plan, dood! Wow.

But lookie - those 2245H's have already dislodged your preamp!

I'll be excited to know your thoughts after getting an EQ into the signal path, if that's the plan. And, I'm sure either Widget or myself could be talked into making a run up there with some test gear, if you're in-need.

Have SmaartLIVE, will travel...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Good grief, speakerdave!! Cool succession plan, dood! Wow.
    No joke huh!?

Well played.

RIP 2009
    They're here:
    Congratulations, Dave! 'Guess instead of your coming by for a listen of my XPL200's I should be going to your place for a listen! What kind of beer do you like?

John

Thread Information