Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mcintosh amps

I got a 1900 for $270 off ePay. I had to put some work into it and I got about $400 in it now. I like it better than anything else that I had connected to my L100s. There may be better bedroom stereos out there, but it don't matter to me!

McIntosh sound is mostly about polished stainless and big blue meters. For 3-500 a new amp from brands like ATI, Rotel, ect. would be a much better buy I think.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    I know that Widget

What I am saying is to spend the money now. Take out a loan, Borrow from your soon to be ex-girlfriend, Sell the wife and kids, do whatever you need to do to buy a good Mac tube amp now. It will sound wonderfull and go up in value.

Thats win/win right there Pal

I bought my MC 75s in 1990 and thought I was an idiot spending what I did. SMARTEST move I ever made.
    Yup, no doubt Mac tube gear is a good investment. I bought an MC240, C22 and an MR66 five years ago and it's already doubled in value. At the time I was concerned I was spending too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster
    McIntosh sound is mostly about polished stainless and big blue meters. For 3-500 a new amp from brands like ATI, Rotel, ect. would be a much better buy I think.

No, Mcintosh sound is mostly about............"My god that sounds great"

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    No, Mcintosh sound is mostly about............"My god that sounds great"
    I own a McIntosh. In the price range he would be better off with a different brand. If he wanted to spend more a TacT or other room correction system would make a much bigger difference.

Nightbrace, with a little patience look for the following: MC 250 [50 WPC], MC 752 [75 WPC] and 754 [100 WPC], a 2100 [100 WPC] and a 2120 [120 WPC]. All can be bought for $500 or less. The 7 series does not have the McIntosh "autoformers" which lets the amp perform the same at any load impedience. Some say the autoformers color the the sound somewhat. I tend to agree, but this [IMO!] is one reason that gives the McIntosh such a great sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster
    I own a McIntosh. In the price range he would be better off with a different brand. .
    I agree to a point. I've been listening to Mac's and JBL's now for 35 years. Getting a GOOD Under $500 Mac is tough..the 2100 comes to mind..BUT depends on what speakers you're wanting to hook it up to..some speakers need more head room.

Exactly what speaker are you planning to mate this with ( I must have missed that)

Personally IMHO to get the "real" MAC sound your need some cash...

Hope i dont get flamed here! LOl.

I had a mc 2300 , weighed in at around 120lbs!!

the sound was from my point of view a little too "laid back" , velvet definately, but just too dreamy sounding for my liking. I am now using a classe CAV 150, which i picked up used from a dealer here in Mexico, I would say it is as velvety (nearly) but has the ability to stand up and flap my sva2100's into a frenzy.

Just MHO.

regards
    Gareth

McIntosh and JBL

McIntosh MC 502 Power Amplifier is inexpensive at the moment. Macs are well made and hold their value, or appreciate. Figure about $500 for a clean one on eBay. It's just a power amp, so you'll need a preamp if you're playing records, but if just a CD player I think you can skip the preamp.

Theres a real nice 5100 on ebay right now that I was going to pull the trigger on.......but I'm learning to deal with my audio compulsiveness....ah for now.

After a few contacts with the thread starter, he is not really interested in buying, but I'm sure he appreciates the attention!

I think you are accurate!

we have come to expect this of Nightbrace in a fun sort of way.

mcintosh amp

I have a Mcintosh 2300 and yes its a nice amp. I bought it almost a year ago to replace my phase linear 400. And let me tell ALL you mac fans! The 2300 at 300wpc virses the phase 400 at 200wpc side by side the mac didnt stand a chance. I dont know if the output transformers is what muds up the fq response . That 400 tingles on the high notes and just pounds on the low notes. The mac is a better built amp but let me tell you for the money the phase linear is by fare the best bang for your buck. And no need for the phase 700(way to much power) the 400 will run what ever you have. On ebay you can buy one of these for less then $250.00 and you wont be disappointed!

Never owned a Phase amp, but my 54 yr old tech refers to them as "time bombs". Could this be the reason for the less than stunning resale value?

Thread Information