Thread: Mcintosh amps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nightbrace

Mcintosh amps

What Mcintsh amplifier would open my eyes to what I've been missing out on at a reasonable price? ($300-$500). The general concensus seems to be that JBL and Mcintosh go together like peas and carrots. Power rating is not too much of a concern, but overall value is as well as sound quality. Just was wondering if you guys has a model number to recommend. 50 watts a channel is more than enough for me.

Hi Nightbrace

McIntosh amps are nice. IMO, they don't command the insane prices these days because they sound equally as nice. 3-5 is not much to work with in the land of today's McIntosh figures. You might be able to pick up one of the older solid state duds for that price- but they are easily bested. A few questions:

Tube or ss?
    Will you be running the bottom end with this amp?
    What speakers are you driving?

My opinion is that you can do better for the money of most McIntosh's. There is no doubt they are beautiful and they sound very nice. Even those who remember the days when you could pick these up for cheap are stunned at the money they command on ebay these days.

Nightbrace
    I will be using it as a full range set-up SS is fine, and I agree, but don't want to spend more than $500 as I know what I can get for under that, just thought I'd try one to see what all the buzz is about. The speakers I need to run are Altec Model 19's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    What Mcintsh amplifier would open my eyes to what I've been missing out on at a reasonable price? ($300-$500).
    I think the only choices in your price range would be the MC-250 or the MC-2100. They are styled to look like their older tubed siblings but are not really examples of what a Mac can sound like... in your price range, I think I'd look at the more affordable mosfet amps.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You'd be a lucky man to find a worthwhile Mac power amp for under $1500. Try a Hafler, suggestions in order are Transnova 9505, PE 500, DH500 or DH220. Good MOSFET sound, reliable, fixable, quiet and and solid bass. But you are stuck with 250wpc for the first 3 and 110wpc for the 220, much more than your desired 50wpc, dang.

Spend the money now.......

I promise you wont regret it.

Cool... but they cost 10 times what he wants to spend...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Cool... but they cost 10 times what he wants to spend...

Widget
    I know that Widget

What I am saying is to spend the money now. Take out a loan, Borrow from your soon to be ex-girlfriend, Sell the wife and kids, do whatever you need to do to buy a good Mac tube amp now. It will sound wonderfull and go up in value.

Thats win/win right there Pal

I bought my MC 75s in 1990 and thought I was an idiot spending what I did. SMARTEST move I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    ...Try a Hafler...
    Yea, Ken Patchkowsky had good results from them, for years. He had quite a few of them...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi NightBrace,

....back to your original post- you wanted to 'know what you've been mising'. I think you mean- "what is the whole McIntosh thing all about", right? I hate to break it to you- but buying a lesser model won't tell you anything. McIntosh made some duds, and still does. In order to experience what a McIntosh can do- you need to get one of the better ones. I still say you can do better for the money. Especially when the "money" is 3-5 hundred. That will barely buy a McIntosh logo- let alone signature performance.

Look into other options- You're obviously a very smart guy. 3-5 bills will net a multitude of great all around solid state performers. If your heart is dead set on them- Widget's suggestion is a good one.

My first Mac piece was a beat to shit 1700 that I got for $200. That thing sounded way better than any receiver I had owned up to that point. Thats what brought me to the 75s.

I liked the sound of the 1700 so much I have a nice clean one powering my bedroom system

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    If your heart is dead set on them- Widget's suggestion is a good one.
    I thought my suggestion was to get a mosfet amp... from someone else...

However if the McIntosh logo is what is sought, there are options even in that price range.

Widget

Actually the McIntosh tube amps are their down fall. In 67 when a new engineer took over with solid state(1st MC2505) that's where the quality and value come in plus spec like no other amp around.
    MC2300specs:
    ELECTRICAL: 300w/ch. (600w mono). Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.5dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms. (0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 and 8 ohms in mono). Damping factor 14 or greater. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Sentry Monitor.

FRONT PANEL: Anodized gold and black panel. Power level (meters read +3 at 300w). Gain controls. Meter range sw: -20, -10, 0, and off. Power sw: on or off. Handles.

BACK PANEL: Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. Mode sw: stereo or mono. Circuit breaker. Dual cooling fans.
    retailed for $1800 in 77
    Size 19" rack mounting. 10-1/2"H and 17"D. Weight 128 lb Sold from 1971-1980. Last retail price
    $1799.00
    Just price an MC2300 and the 2100,250,100
    Yes JBL E-120's 8ohm suit and have the highest specs of any speaker with a 4'' voice and largest sensitivity range. Best amp ever for guitar post pre amp aka fender blackface tone stack.
    hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk900 View Post
    Yes JBL E-120's 8ohm suit and have the highest specs of any speaker with a 4'' voice and largest sensitivity range. Best amp ever for guitar post pre amp aka fender blackface tone stack.
    hawk.
    Just curious but are you comparing a Fender Twin Blackface to a Mesa Strategy 500? From memory the E130 shares the same spec as the E120 but offers 2db more.

Allan.

Thread Information