Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Large monitor advice

too much temptation..

I just can't leave this one alone. It would seem I'm pissing on a flag when I suggest using the drivers (even some of them) from a 4345 in any arrangement outside of a 4345 replica and expect to get good results. Man, dare I even suggest better results? Even an upgrade to MDF is an instant improvement.

I'm sure GT and the other amazing engineers at JBL never messed with a prototype for more than 6 days, right? The point is- if it takes me a few months of tweaking the best ounce out of a project and the end result might best a 4345- so what? I'll take my chances.

...and Widget (of all people) ...did your 4355 project outperform a real 4355 or what!? With all of the 4350/55 design flaws- it probably wasn't hard to do, but still. Perhaps it didn't outperform a Westlake- but I bet it kicked serious a$$.

I know that John will build a superlative 4345- perhaps even the best clone yet. What an awesome benchmark- I understand his choice. But to assume no one can do better than the almighty 4345 is insulting and self serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Mike, I am not sure what you are saying...
    Richard, I expected as much- Let me draw a diagram in MS paint for you...

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    What the hell is this? I need to get the updated code book.... maybe it's in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    But to assume no one can do better than the almighty 4345 is insulting and self serving.
    I'll climb out on a limb here... you are talking to/about Ian here right? He is agreeing with you... he has said that you can best the 4345, but it won't be easy and you may not succeed. He just used many more words to say it...

I can understand the desire to end up with an excellent system and know that the time and money put into it will be paid back in full... and I can understand the desire to take the challenge to spend a bit more money and invest a lot of extra time and maybe through the use of more expensive materials and drivers end up with a superior product. I do think it arrogant of any of us to think we could come up with a better system than JBL and not spend additional money on materials, drivers, or real estate. GT and company have way more experience, better testing facilities, and do it as a full time job... so our taking the same parts and coming up with something better is about as likely as winning the lottery.... getting struck by lightning... making pigs fly... you get the idea.

Widget

Great post Widget. I gotcha...

I also want to add that in my attempts to get something "better" than the 4345- it in no way is disrespect to GT, JBL, my deity of choice, or anyone that owns a 4345. In fact- the very notion that it is an ambitious project is respect in itself. I'm not afraid to spend more- I expect to get more. I'm also not afraid to spend more time- again there will be rewards. I did say I don't have a marketing department- forcing me to build within the financial confines of a budget. Even if I don't succeed- guess what? I'll still have my drivers and I can just build a 4345 clone with a few changes. I'll also learn a lot; How much is that worth?

Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Widget
    What the hell is this? I need to get the updated code book.... maybe it's in the mail?
    Ian should undertand it. He made a smarta$$ remark, so I made one right back.

I'll also learn a lot; How much is that worth?
    That is the whole point. You can't put a price on that! From someone who has tried that idea of coming up with a better mouse trap you owe it to yourself to hear the original somewhere down the line. I built my references last. It would have been smarter to do it the other way.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    ...you owe it to yourself to hear the original somewhere down the line. I built my references last. It would have been smarter to do it the other way.
    I was thinking the same thing... if you are going to build a system that is essentially the same as an existing JBL system ideally you'd clone them exactly first as a benchmark... frequently we hear something that is simply different and think wow... that's neat... and it is, but without being able to really have a target many times the DIY project doesn't fully reach it's potential.

Widget

Now we understand what your saying. This could be about anything, a 250ti, a 4333, ans L100 ..the isseus are the same.

Go make it go.

When you yourself post anduse either Travis or Mike its easy to post either when you are known as Mike!

Yes, there will be issues alright. I fully expect to encounter a few- hell, they've already started!

I'll make it go. I just started in this game. I've learned more in the last three months than any brain should- I have headaches. It was only last Jan that I was loving the L212- in stock form, mind you. Now I'm sitting in front of a 2235, 2202, 2397, 2435, 2405 mock up and it already sounds heaps better. Add a 2122 to that list. I'm a design junkie so I've given it a lot of thought and consideration. Thanks to this forum and the patience shown to me (albeit hard to do at times)- I'm on the fast track to some awesome speakers.

It's "Michael Travis" but I go by Travis to all my friends. Mike is a pretty common name- so I've always been a Travis. I even told you that in a PM Ian- so when you address me as Travis earlier on the thread and later "Mike" it sounds like an insult. If I read in to it wrong I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    This is a great discussion, and I hope it keeps going
    Still feel that way, John? lol. Sorry for the drama in your thread.

@_*

Let me work out how to make panorarma photo for my Nikon and I will email you hi res picture.
    Thank you buddy,that grey monster looks perfect
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Let me work on it over the weekend.

Thread Information