Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL D120 reproductions

Quote Originally Posted by horseshead
    I'm sure whoever wrote it meant the d123's were not for loud music as I recall he mentioned that they were designed for low power home stereos. I can't seem to sift through the many threads on this subject to find it.
    Actually, Bill Burton designed the D123 primarily to fit inside standard 4" walls, to be used in built-in home systems. It was a radical departure from all the other Jim Lansing speakers at the time. We never considered it as a "low-powered" speaker. That basic 12" design was the foundation for the L100's and the 4310/11/12 studio monitors - all designed for "loud music".

Why apologize? I'll just buy the d123 and get back to you how it works out with my stereo guitar setup - dual showman reverb/2xjbl d130f's, and the quad. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.
    Rick (horseshead)
    Well, it kinda drifted from your main question about finding good D120 replacements.

But if it were me, I'd leave the Dual Showman at home, and just bring the quad. It would also be easier to lift.

I have a line on a possible pair of K120's reported to be in good condition (someone is in line infront of me though). Are those of interest to you and if so, how much are you looking to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    I have a line on a possible pair of K120's reported to be in good condition (someone is in line infront of me though). Are those of interest to you and if so, how much are you looking to spend?
    If only I knew what the K120's sounded like I'd be able to say. I don't want to sound like the guitarist from the song in that home depot TV commercial that they also play on the phone when you're on hold, so...... no E120's for me I guess. No one yet seems to be able to describe the sound of a K series, only the D versus the E series.

Rick

If only I knew what the K120's sounded like I'd be able to say. I don't want to sound like the guitarist from the song in that home depot TV commercial that they also play on the phone when you're on hold, so...... no E120's for me I guess. No one yet seems to be able to describe the sound of a K series, only the D versus the E series.

Rick
    I described it a few posts ago. You're just gonna have to try them yourself. No amount of description will satisfy your liking them or not. If you don't like them....somebody will.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I've already got on that 16 ohm D123 and bought one last night off ebay. I need 3 more and my quad to finnish being checked out which will be in two weeks. I'll hook them up to the quad then and share my findings with you and the group. I've got low power JBL D120's already, as I have said. They are one piece paper, single ring in other words, no separate cloth added (or any other material) for the surround. My reconer said they're what d120's were like originally, back in '57 or '58, and as I've said, they are rated at, like, 20,25 watts, something like that, but they can easily handle 40, even 50 watts. Though, for my taste, they don't sparkle like the later, two piece cone version. They don't have the clarity. They don't stay clean when you play a little loud. On that note, we'll see how I like the D123's.

Rick

I've already got on that 16 ohm D123 and bought one last night off ebay. I need 3 more and my quad to finnish being checked out which will be in two weeks. I'll hook them up to the quad then and share my findings with you and the group. I've got low power JBL D120's already, as I have said. They are one piece paper, single ring in other words, no separate cloth added (or any other material) for the surround. My reconer said they're what d120's were like originally, back in '57 or '58, and as I've said, they are rated at, like, 20,25 watts, something like that, but they can easily handle 40, even 50 watts. Though, for my taste, they don't sparkle like the later, two piece cone version. They don't have the clarity. They don't stay clean when you play a little loud. On that note, we'll see how I like the D123's.

Rick
    Hi Rick,

That's why I suggested the K or E series because they do play cleaner. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the D123. We'll stay tuned.

BTW...is your reconer JBL Authorized Service? Can he offer you the factory spec'd recone kit?
    If not...that answers other questions already. If it's aftermarket...it's not a JBL.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Hi Rick,

That's why I suggested the K or E series because they do play cleaner. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the D123. We'll stay tuned.

BTW...is your reconer JBL Authorized Service? Can he offer you the factory spec'd recone kit?
    If not...that answers other questions already. If it's aftermarket...it's not a JBL.
    According to my reconer, whose name btw is Glenn Harrell (Wesley Audio/Viseo, he worked at JBL in the factory and used to do recones with original JBL recone kits a long time ago. He gets his parts from various aftermarket suppliers but the baskets were original from '70's orange JBL D120F's. This is what he recently had to say about how he reconed them.

My speakers have original spider and dust cap, proprietary cone - original weight, paper surround, proprietary voice coil - edgewound aluminum on paper former to exacting specifications.

Rick

According to my reconer, whose name btw is Glenn Harrell (Wesley Audio/Viseo, he worked at JBL in the factory and used to do recones with original JBL recone kits a long time ago. He gets his parts from various aftermarket suppliers but the baskets were original from '70's orange JBL D120F's. This is what he recently had to say about how he reconed them.

My speakers have original spider and dust cap, proprietary cone - original weight, paper surround, proprietary voice coil - edgewound aluminum on paper former to exacting specifications.

Rick
    I dont know! JBL is JBL, and aftermarket just aint JBL!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    I dont know! JBL is JBL, and aftermarket just aint JBL!
    I guess it's just too much to ask for four jbl d120 16 ohm speakers. That's what it's come down to.

Tom Loizeaux
    I guess it's just too much to ask for four jbl d120 16 ohm speakers. That's what it's come down to.
    Not at all! Keep an eye out.
    These things do come up on eBay. The 16 ohm versions will sell for less then the 8 ohm versions!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Not at all! Keep an eye out.
    These things do come up on eBay. The 16 ohm versions will sell for less then the 8 ohm versions!

Tom
    How do the D131's spec out as compared with the D120's? And the D120F's have the same specs as the D120'?

Rick

How do the D131's spec out as compared with the D120's? And the D120F's have the same specs as the D120'?

Rick
    The D131 is almost identical to the D120F, maybe 1dB more efficient. The surround on the D131 will dry out and crack sooner than the D120F.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey
    ...if somebody warned you away from the D123's, perhaps you should take their advice. Maybe they know something about them that I don't.
    Yeah, OK.

Rick,

Edgewound is right on with the description. I will add that D123's tend to give me more feedback. No not the high pitched kind- but they feel more...intimate (?). Personally, I like a little break up- I'm not looking for high fidelity when I play guitar. I don't think your 100W bruiser will hurt the 123's at ALL. Even so- no matter what kind of guitar style you're in to- blowing tubes and damaging stuff is just part of the fun. D123's offer a fun ride. For me- they hide fingerstyle artifacts, they have a pleasing tonality, and sound excellent when driven to the brink. I even had D130's and D123's in a pair of JBL Baron home speakers and listening to Hendrix through them was like having your head in his amp. Nice!

Oh, and 16 ohm = 8 ohm. I've never seen a pair test higher than a 7.3 (Can anyone else substantiate that?)

Let us know what your findings are!

[quote=hapy._.face]Yeah, OK.

Oh, and 16 ohm = 8 ohm. I've never seen a pair test higher than a 7.3 (Can anyone else substantiate that?)

The output transformer/tubes of a fender quad/dual showman/twin are all wired for 4 ohms load total. It doesn't care what speaker combination. If you put too much resistance (load) or too little it can kill the tubes too soon. I find it hard to believe that a company like JBL with such an unapproachable reputation for perfection of production and engineering design would just say, yeah, whatever, we'll just wing the impedience tolerances.

Rick

DCR of C8RE120 is 6.3 ohms +/-10%
    DCR of C16RE120 is 13 ohms +/-10%

I do believe that JBL tried to rate the impedance of the drivers' operating frequency range, especially on HF drivers...not just DCR.

Thread Information