Thread: BMS Elektronik GmbH

BMS Elektronik GmbH

I wanted to get your opinion on BMS speakers/drivers. I've been offered some to audition in the Widget cabinets I'm working on. I had planned on using the Altec 416-8C from my old A7s and was wondering what the BMS 15N620 or 15N630 might do for me. He also has some 4592 drivers I can play with but they are 2" and all I have are the 511B horns.

Well with over 60 views and no replies good, bad or indifferent I've got to think I've slipped on my forum etiquette. I know this is primarily a JBL forums but after doing a search on BMS and getting over 20 pages of posts, I thought I would at least ask. My appologies if I stepped on any toes. My bad.

No problem with me. I have no BMS experience with the models you're considering, is all. The small re-entrant compression drivers, I could help some, as I am presently working with them....

Wardsweb

I think most of us just don't know much about them. :dont-know
    Out.

Anecdotally I have heard good things about them... I am not sure what that is worth.... give 'em a whirl and let us know what you think.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Anecdotally I have heard good things about them...
    Widget
    Hi All,

I agree ......Heard the 4592ND , 4594ND and the 4540 for my opinion the only existing systems to be compared with JBL.
    Two weeks ago I 've been on an exhibition in Frankfurt (Pro Light and Sound) where BMS showed their speakers......(with respect to this site here) ....very good sound.

Don't find my thread about a big horn system with the 4594ND coaxial driver from nearly two years ago......(ML-Audio)

As we know, BMS builds some drivers for JBL... they cannot be that bad.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Thanks everyone. I've got an audio meet at my house on May 20th. I'll try doing some A/B'ing and see what the general feeling is.

I have had some BMS 15c682 15inch coaxial in my rear loaded corner horn. I don't want to offend the lansing guys so I will say no more.
    I want to get some 4592 nd to try on My Bentwood 200hz horn. The 4590 I have is very good I have test curve of it on my horn with my crossover If you like I can post it Along with a curve from the JBL 2482 also real nice. I will look up the files ,I'm testing lots of the 2" drivers.

I have had a BMS 15c682 Coaxial in my rear loaded horn and still looking to try a Urei coaxial. The BMS 4590 coaxial which I have, and tested on my 200Hz Bentwood horn is sweet no question. I have the test results and I have worked on the crossover for my own system. I have been told that you can't go 7 or 8 octaves with one driver on one horn but.... On my horn it does 220hz to 22,000 increadble 122db ,near as the clio can tell any way. The low end sounds real close to the JBL 2482 I have and love too. and the tweeter portion is capable of 122db too. I can post the results if the JBL guys don't mind.

BMS 4590 test, this is with pasive crossover and attenuation to match A210 Chopped and Split mid bass with 416 8b.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

how does it sound compare the prices?

TimG
    I have used the BMS 4590, 4552, and 4540. They all sound very good to me. I used the 4590 on a JBL 2380 horn and an Emilar EH500 horn.
    I have also heard from sources that the BMS woofer are over-engineered and very rugged, although I have not yet had a chance to hear any of them.

If you are planning to use the Altec 511B horns, I would recommend the 15N630 and the 4550 compression driver. Tom Danley, now at Danley Sound Labs, wrote on AA that he had rebuilt an Altec A7 for a friend using the 4550 and a JBL 2226 and he thought is sounded very good. The 4550 can also be used down to 800Hz with a large enough horn and the right crossover slope.

I'm moving into another house next week, but after I get settled I hope to build a dedicated theater room and have time to build speakers again.

Thread Information