Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SACD - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    ...and Bo are you suggesting that (some) people who post on these forums don't know the difference between PCM (red book CDs and DVD-A) and DSD (Sony's SACD format)?
    That was simply all that was meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Overall though the tone of these last couple of posts is just plain whacked... this ain't no peer review board.
    I stayed clear of their spat - no clue what that's about.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What the hell is SACD anyway...

Here is a brief article that compares the two... it isn't a definitive exploration, but for those confused on the subject of 1 bit DSD technology versus the much more common PCM technology, you may want to read this.

http://www.avrev.com/equip/dvdavssacd/

Widget

Thanks for the link Widget. Good information.

I meant SACD not HDCD in my last post- sorry about that. It was too late to edit, though.

At any rate- I have learned something. Thanks.

Ken,

Dust it off- you are loved around here.

Dave,

Good information, too.

Can't we all just..... ?

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I meant SACD not HDCD in my last post- sorry about that. It was too late to edit, though.
    Done. Let me know if the edit is not complete.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    At any rate- I have learned something. Thanks.
    Yea, me too. That's why I struggle to keep this thread open...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ken,

Please keep posting and ignore all adhorum et al.

Everybody's ignoring the main thing that I like about SACDs. Surround.

Some of this shit is enough to gag a maggot. Ken, I will never hear the stuff you're into, but I've always been interested in the descriptions of your experiences with Westlakes etc. I hope you will reconsider, I would miss reading your posts.

Also, speaking of SACD, check out a thread that I started about an $8 rat shack mod using the various outputs from an SACD player.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=10530

Benchmark Dac1

I will be posting a complete non tech impression very soon. It is an impressive piece of equipment. For those of you who are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the super high end players check this out. The 578A can be had for very little.

I am somewhat tempted to try these mods out on mine. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members could chime in on this? Would you consider this a worthwhile journey?

http://freerider.dyndns.org/

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I will be posting a complete non tech impression very soon. It is an impressive piece of equipment. For those of you who are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the super high end players check this out. The 578A can be had for very little.

I am somewhat tempted to try these mods out on mine. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members could chime in on this? Would you consider this a worthwhile journey?

Ken
    The web site linked in Ken's post is apparently selling a mod for that model of player. The mod purports to supply digital output of SACD signal in some way (not clear from what I read) I didn't see a price.

Here is some of the CYA legalese from the web page:

CAUTION:
    Building the kit and installing it in your player may violate copyright laws of the country you live in. Worldwide it is forbidden to copy copyright protected material for any use. So take a close look at the copyright laws of your country. It even may be prohibited in your country installing the kit in your player. To be sure not to incur a penalty ask a layer before installing the kit. I will not assume liability for any copyright violation you perform building and installing the kit in your player.

Is this what the Lansing Heritage forum has become now? One of those places on the internet where cheaters can exchange information on how to cheat copyright laws and licensing agreements?

The shame!

David

PS: I've eliminated the URL from my quotation of Ken's post so as not to add to the iniquity, but I have a copy of it in case any of our moderators wants to check what I just said.

Smile SACD

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    The web site linked in Ken's post is apparently selling a mod for that model of player. The mod purports to supply digital output of SACD signal in some way (not clear from what I read) I didn't see a price.

Here is some of the CYA legalese from the web page:

CAUTION:
    Building the kit and installing it in your player may violate copyright laws of the country you live in. Worldwide it is forbidden to copy copyright protected material for any use. So take a close look at the copyright laws of your country. It even may be prohibited in your country installing the kit in your player. To be sure not to incur a penalty ask a layer before installing the kit. I will not assume liability for any copyright violation you perform building and installing the kit in your player.

Is this what the Lansing Heritage forum has become now? One of those places on the internet where cheaters can exchange information on how to cheat copyright laws and licensing agreements?

The shame!

David

PS: I've eliminated the URL from my quotation of Ken's post so as not to add to the iniquity, but I have a copy of it in case any of our moderators wants to check what I just said.
    Geez I doubt ken or anyone here is trying to make copys of cds sacds dvd audio etc and selling them, that is why the copyright laws are written to prevent that. also why very few companys have a digital connection to listen to sacd or dvd audio in its full resolution. I for one am waiting very impatiently for a blu-ray hi def player to become avialable so i can listen to these formats via a version 1.3 hdmi connection. but if i had some wayof listening to these formats now without using multipule rca outputs i would. besides he is only asking an oppinion of other members here, not that he has one at home home hooked up and running, and now trying to paas along a way to cheat to other members. for those people who want to make copys of dvds and cds etc and sell them they are going to do so with or without any help from ken or anyone else here. imho.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Interesting point, but to me it greys into the area of ripping CD's. I don't do it, but there are long threads here on compression algortithms and best formats for music storage.

Just because it's posted here, does not mean we are promoting, encouraging or sanctioning it.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thumbs up sacd

I for 1 am sick of having to constantly having to buy new components to be able to watch or listen to the latest greatest format.when will it stop? for example i have held off buying a hd tv for fear of not having the right connection when hd players became available. i'm glad i did now. because when these new blu-ray players hiy the market you will not be able to watch them in a true hi def format unless you have a version 1.3 hdmi connection. or listen to the sound track in a digital form, for millions of people who have component video connections and dvi connections and earlier hdmi connections. they are SOL. i am waiting for this all to come to a head audio and video wise, then i intend to buy a nice lexicon upgradeable preamp so i can listen to sacds dvd audio and other newer formats in there true formats as designed. regards jim

speakerdave

David,

This topic seems to be a hot button for you, and Ken appears to be the whipping boy. It's a long leap of logic to take his question about a possible mod to a specific player to mean he's promoting the exchange of illegal information on copying and violating copyright laws, thus turing LH into a rogue tech underground of cheaters.

I've been in several countries where this would be permitted by law. The US does prefer the rights of the industry over consumers in this case, but since Ken's in Canada, I'm not certain that your condemnation is valid. I do know they pay in advance for any copies they make through a media tariff.

Canada's copyright info can be found here:

http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/news/c20032004fs-e.html
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    This topic seems to be a hot button for you . . . .
    Naw . . . but I would like the SACD format to succeed. However, until you've heard the format with a good player you haven't heard what it can do.

I was always puzzled by revewers who said that the differences between PCM and DSD were subtle or they preferred the "Red Book" version of a recording, and then it started coming out that there were some problems with technical compromises of SACD recordings and players, both.

One of my discoveries with my first SACD player was that part of the problem with PCM, also, was the players, because the Philips SACD1000 (since demised) made them sound better than I had ever heard them before.

Personally, I would LIKE for Ken to be able to bypass the analogue output section of his player with SACD, because if it is like most (and at $150 it most certainly is) it is an afterthought made with cheap parts. But I think it is certainly understandable that Sony and Philips, who want to make money licensing DSD recordings, do not want people to be able to copy them. Who knows, it may be part of their agreement with the recording companies.

SACD is the best thing since good vinyl, but its quality (like the quality of a good PCM recording) is veiled by the analogue output section of most players. And its quality is also hidden be the other compromises that are summarized in the Audio Tools citation.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    . . . . Ken appears to be the whipping boy . . . .
    Oh, please . . . take a break.

Quote Originally Posted by jim3860
    I for 1 am sick of having to constantly having to buy new components to be able to watch or listen to the latest greatest format.when will it stop? for example i have held off buying a hd tv for fear of not having the right connection when hd players became available. i'm glad i did now. because when these new blu-ray players hiy the market you will not be able to watch them in a true hi def format unless you have a version 1.3 hdmi connection. or listen to the sound track in a digital form, for millions of people who have component video connections and dvi connections and earlier hdmi connections. they are SOL. i am waiting for this all to come to a head audio and video wise, then i intend to buy a nice lexicon upgradeable preamp so i can listen to sacds dvd audio and other newer formats in there true formats as designed. regards jim
    Somewhere in there is something I want to quote:

Yeah, I agree (I think). I'm about to discard a perfectly good printer which would probably last me the rest of my life because Macs no longer have serial ports. The only way I can continue to use it would be with the cost of the space and considerable inconvenience to keep an old computer set up for a print station.

David

Thread Information