Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new "synthesis 3 array"

Musical low bass

There is lots of musical low bass in todays music. The fundamental frequency of the low B string on a 5 or 6 string bass is 31Hz in Concert Tuning with "A-440". If the group tunes down....well....they'll get below 31Hz on the bass.

Most modern electric jazz and reggae...and even heavy metal now use 5/6 string bass. Really bolsters the rhythm section if the bassist can play it.

So.....it's very common.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    There is lots of musical low bass in todays music. The fundamental frequency of the low B string on a 5 or 6 string bass is 31Hz in Concert Tuning with "A-440". If the group tunes down....well....they'll get below 31Hz on the bass.

Most modern electric jazz and reggae...and even heavy metal now use 5/6 string bass. Really bolsters the rhythm section if the bassist can play it.

So.....it's very common.
    I always wondered what the freq was with a low B in that tuning. Thanks! I knew it had to be close to 30...

...and you're right. A lot of music is there. And we know how insanely popular it is for bands to down tune today. Nearly every hard rock/metal band does it!

Low B on a 5 string bass has quite an impact. I really like it when a proper jazz ensemble has a great fretless 5/6 string bassist: It makes your woofers do funny things.

Obsolete

That must have been some intense levels playing to do that!

Like edgewound said - in addition to stupid stuff engineers put on CD's. All it takes is one with some power behind it and your subs are toast. Just like in the old days when you took your cartridge, dropped it on the record with the volume turned all the way up and the 12-inch cone in the B212 popped out onto the floor along with all the springs and ballbearings and confetti...

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    12-inch cone in the B212 popped out onto the floor along with all the springs and ballbearings and confetti...
    Yeah...reinstalling those ballbearings and confetti is a bitch.

OK, nice to know there is lots of music down there. Too bad it does seem to be the product of idiots after all. Would I be correct in assuming metal bands tune down to make string bends easier? The old fashioned and the talented, like SRV, developed their forearms instead of their excentricities. These guitarists sound like they are playing rubber bands. The sound is terrible by comparison. Kenny Wayne Shepherd does it for real and it shows.

I think this is the first time Giskard and I have shared a thread where I wasn't obliquely declared a moron. But the day is still young!

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete

I'm not slackin'

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    I think this is the first time Giskard and I have shared a thread where I wasn't declared a moron. But the day is still young!
    Mr. Widget told me I had to start being "nice".

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Mr. Widget told me I had to start being "nice".
    It's Ok, I have a thick skin and a working sense of irony. If you need to vent, just PM me!

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    Would I be correct in assuming metal bands tune down to make string bends easier? The old fashioned and the talented, like SRV, developed their forearms instead of their excentricities. These guitarists sound like they are playing rubber bands. The sound is terrible by comparison. Kenny Wayne Shepherd does it for real and it shows.

Clark in Peoria
    Well, Clark...You can't really assume that. There are 7 string guitars now that the metal/alternative rock bands play and Steve Vai is probably the most recognizable to the widest age range. The 7th string is also a low B at around 247 Hz in tune.

SRV...my all-time fav...tuned his low E down a half step to E flat...a la Jimi Hendrix...and so did Eddie Van Halen in the early years to compensate for David Lee Roth's limited upper register....so the rumor goes anyway.

SRV used medium gauge strings, .011-.050 to give his strat a fatter tone with more body...and to allow easier bending with such a heavy string, he tuned down a half step.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is a protege' of SRV... His dad arranged that and they all hung out together at SRV concerts...backstage when KWS was a little boy.

The lowest note on a Concert Grand 88 key piano is something in the neighborhood of 27Hz. I bet our friend and pro piano tuner Steve Schell could either confirm that or tell me I'm a bone-head if I'm incorrect....but Steve is alot nicer than that.

Check out this useful link:

http://www.vibrationdata.com/piano.htm

SRV was a favorite of mine as well. Heard him in clubs small and large. That's why I brought up KWS. I think he often used the heaviest low strings I ever heard of existing. I'll look for the ancient Guitar Player to verify, give me a few months. He didn't rely on just dropped tuning, he had the strongest forearms in the business.

D L Roth is, and always has been a real piece of work. Don't get me started. I think of him when I see a Roto Rooter truck. Love the other lads.

Low notes, I forgot the Bosendorfer Imperial. Extra bass keys and I don't remember how hugely long the piano is.

So what is a bass low E when tuned down? 38.891 or 36.708? 41 normally, I think.

So I am even more full of crap than usual? I must be turning brown. But I still like the sound of heavier strings. I don't think "skinny top - heavy bottom" sounds very good. Personally, my 1977 Mesa Boogie prefers Gibsons with heavy strings.

Cool link, thank you.

Clark in Peoria

Clark...your not full of crap.

I agree with you. I play .010's myself. Stevie Ray always played at 200% with a passion and fire that I've never seen before or since his passing.

The day I heard he was killed in that helicopter crash that should have been Eric Clapton's seat, was the only time I ever shed a tear for a celebrity. The next tears was for Johnny Carson.

I guess we've taken this far enough off topic .

One more off topic

Thanks, Edgewound. I did hear another with as much drive and fire, and maybe even more talent if that is posssible. Back in the day (1969), Peter Green leading the original Fleetwood Mac. Kenetic Playground, Chicago. They recorded the legendary double album at Chess during their stay.

The best Guitarist I ever heard.

Clark

Thread Information