Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gene's speakers - cabinet tuning, crossover and more!

gene's speakers - cabinet tuning, crossover and more!

hey guys. I never wanted to say this but I think my speaker cabinet are not tune right.I get some bass but not the way I thought I would. does any one know a company or some one who tune speaker cabs. My speakers are jbl 2245h -2202h -2425h-2404h. the cabs are 54 height- 24 witdh- 19 deep. I was told the ports should be 5 inch diam - 5 5/6 inch long that should be tune around 26 hz. the cabs are birch wood 3/4 thick thanks for any info gene

One port per cabinet?

You should measure your current box tuning. Do you have a tone generator or test-tone disc?

What's the internal volume minus bracing, drivers, and subenclosure for the 2202. If the horn is internal on the 2425 which one are you using. You need to subtract that as well.

Rob

Dood...

Everytime you post problems with your DIY build, you ignore my questions - yet you keep returning here unhappy.
    I am not trying to be rude, but answer some detailed questions - OK?

Here, you describe Your Cabinet Dimensions you mention a 12-ft3 volume. That is large for a 2245, depending upon your tuning. You ignored my question on what the tuning was. Do you know what it is?

I also wonder if your 2202H is NOT in a separate subenclosure (bad), but you only post coarse dimensions of your cabinet
    Quote Originally Posted by gene
    the cabs are 54 height- 24 witdh- 19 deep.
    and then pm Ian for help.

That is fine, but dood, you are drifting and wasting all the combined talents here.

DESCRIBE YOUR CABINET BUILDS IN DETAIL, or we all join you in pissing up a rope...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I hope it works out better than my last encounter with a 4 way diyer.

Gene,

My I ask why you think they are not tuned right? Can you describe what you are hearing? Is it biamped? Please tell me it is

The cat might be sleeping in the Port ..No kidding is happens!

The Vas is so large compared to the box volume Vb that some small variation will not upset it to much. More likely the vent will need some adjustment.

My last recollection of a box tuning Fb for that driver around 10-11 cu ft was 27 hz.

Give me a picture of what you have

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Dood...

Everytime you post problems with your DIY build, you ignore my questions - yet you keep returning here unhappy.
    I am not trying to be rude, but answer some damned questions - OK?

Here, you describe Your Cabinet Dimensions you mention a 12-ft3 volume. That is large for a 2245, depending upon your tuning. You ignored my question on what the tuning was. WHAT IS IT?

I also wonder if your 2202H is NOT in a separate subenclosure (bad), but you only post coarse dimensions of your cabinet

and then pm Ian for help.

That is fine, but dood, you are drifting and wasting all the combined talents here.

DESCRIBE YOUR CABINET BUILDS IN DETAIL, or we all join you in pissing up a rope...
    What combined talents are they.

Auto sub change outs are your speciality.

Gene, take no notice of Bo. He who knows not the difference of an Oval and a Round Port

Quote Originally Posted by gene
    I never wanted to say this but I think my speaker cabinet are not tune right.I get some bass but not the way I thought I would.
    We really could use some additional info... are your cabs actually 12 cu ft or are there sub chambers, bracing , etc. to be subtracted. If there isn't quite a bit of bracing then you could be losing a lot of bass energy due to wall flexing. This will muddy the sound as well as lower the SPL and extension.

Widget

4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    This is an amazing little thing.
    It was reviewed to some extent here: Woofer Tester II

But, it would be handy if gene came back with some detail on his cabinet construction, and maybe a few pics, too...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

One thing I noted was the 2245 is used with a passive network. That will effect the bass quality for certain regardless of what amp or tuning he tries.

when I post my problem yesterday I was madd. and I gave the wrong info on the cabs.the right measurements are 54 inch tall- 29 inch wide- 19 inch deep. the 2202 is in a seald cab . about 14 wide 14 tall and 8 inch deep. the cab is birch wood 3/4 thick. the horns are mounted on the front of the speaker cab with weather proof sponge like materials. no air is coming from the side of my horns. cross over is passive 290 hz 1200 -5000. xover is not biamp. ports are two ports per cab 5 inch diam- 5 5/6 inch in lenth they suppose to be tune around 27 hz. they have bass but not like the L112 or L56 If I stand to the side of my speaker I can her more bass but if I stand in front of them the bass is less. the guy how gave me the ports measurements said he took my in side measurements of my cab and my 2245 vas qmax etc.and he came up with the ports measurements the cabs do have brace , in the middle of the cab were the seald box is for the midrange and some kind of brace in each corner of the speaker cab I hope I answer all of your question . 2344a birdal horn is mounted to the 2425h

Yea, we are starting to get somewhere!!

gene - is there any way you can post some pictures? It would be nice to see the overall cabinet shape / configuration.

Also, try and get some close-ups of the 2245H - how new are they?

How are the cabinets sealed? Any chance of leaks out the rear, or anywhere else?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Is it possible to get your cabinet maker and crossover designer to get involved in this discussion? You likely paid dearly for those cabinets and they should be willing to help. Maybe they can join here...

The more information you can get to the forum, the more efficient help you will receive.

It would be great to get those beauties working up to par!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I just finish sending [email protected] my picture of my speakers. I hope they post them. my xovers were built by dssoundlab.com. the xover is pretty big it is rated 600 watts rms at 8 ohms 95 db at 1 watt. I will try to get dssound and the company who build my speaker cabs to respond to your questions. thanks . gene

BB6P computes your gross internal volume at 14.62 cuft and 13.38 cuft net after subtracting the woofer displacement and the subenclosure.

It indicates you are presently tuned to 25.93 Hz (black), not a bad tuning, actually. It's -3 dB at 30.59 Hz, and should be producing plenty of good bass.

It further suggests for more extended bass, you might retune to 21.22 Hz (orchid) with two 5" ports 11.85" long, or a single one 3.375" long. That'd give you usable bass down to 19.24 Hz (cursor).

To try a similar lower tuning, just close off one of your present ports. That'll retune the box to 19.07 Hz (red).

I'm thinking if L112 and L56 comprise your standard for comparison of bass performance, you're not going to like any of these extended bass tunings, but give it a try.

Further, without measurements, it's not known if the drivers are in balance. I could easily see how the 2202H must be properly balanced with the 2245H, for example, for that combination to sound right....

29" wide, not the 24" you originally posted above, right? 24" gives the 12 cuft. you previously stated they were.

Note: If I just let BB6P design the box for extended bass, it recommends 15.46 cuft tuned to 20.76 Hz for the 2245H (blue).

For "High Fidelity" (maximally flat) tuning, it says 7.95 cuft tuned to 26.45 Hz (green).

What you presently have seems a good compromise. :dont-know
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information