Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with bass response

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    If we know the solid green is positive AND
    green with black stripe is negative per JBL spec

AND the transducer clearly has a red and black terminal AND the wires are properly connected, what is a battery test going to tell me?
    Disconnect the leads at the amp and apply the (+) of the battery to what you believe to be the postive polarity of the lead. The woofer will move either in or out.

Do it on each channel to verify that the systems are all connected in the correct phase. Both should move the same direction. It's just verification that everything is connected in phase. Even when I'm paying attention, I sometimes get it wrong....

Buy an RTA and learn how to use it. I'm convinced that few listeners without one have any clue as to how their systems are actually performing, or how to adjust them for proper balance.

[Yeah, I AM relentless about this. It's the best $250 I ever spent on audio.... ]

Steve Gonzales
    A footnote to the polarity deal is that some woofers are designed to move in with the positive charge applied to the plus terminal so if indeed that is the case, and even if they are both moving in the same direction, you must also be sure that they are in proper phase with the rest of the system. I'm sure that there is someone here that can tell you what the correct movement of your particular woofers is.

Obsolete
    Good grief! This is supposed to be the Technical Help forum.

Let's start over.

1.) What I cannot understand is why the little 4412's have better bass in my home than the big boy 4343's?

Reverse the wires to one of the 4343's. If the LF response improves you have a polarity issue.

2.) These are not bi-amped (yet).

That is not your problem. Bi-amping makes a good situation better, it doesn't fix a bad situation.

3.) How can I get more bass out of these?

Move them until you get the LF response you want.

Steve Gonzales
    Sorry about that Giskard, I didn't mean to imply that bi-amping would fix the problem.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Sorry about that Giskard, I didn't mean to imply that bi-amping would fix the problem.
    I was merely responding to his post. I'm not sure why he brought up the fact that they weren't bi-amped.
    Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    These are not bi-amped (yet).

Steve Gonzales

okay

There have been two recent threads about the lack of LF performance here recently. This one and the 4435/B460. It must be frustrating to read all the glowing recommendations about them, only to find out that they apparently are not "plug and play".

Obsolete
    I would imagine so. These guys aren't the first ones to have problems with their sound rooms. Some rooms work out just right to be all wrong for certain systems.

Steve Gonzales

Lucky me

I have been in and out of 3 different houses in the last year and wound up in one that by chance has wonderful acoustics. Same system ,basically, night and day difference. They're gonna have to drag my cold, dead corpse out of this one

Go back to the first picture. The most probably cause is not just the location of the 4343. Look what they are sitting on.

Also - remember this:

Even if your cabinets are phased correctly and pass the battery test, you can still have one speaker cable (amp to cabinet) that is reversed.
    I love the way music makes me feel.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Go back to the first picture. The most probably cause is not just the location of the 4343. Look what they are sitting on.
    I think he said he removed them at some point but I could be wrong.

I took 'em off the tiny plant stands

Put one of them where you have those 4412's and see what happens.
    Yeah! Is that fireplace centered on a wall. If so look at where the 4412's are. There are on the centerline. If the fireplace is centered you are exciting one of the 3 primary axial modes in the room. Depending on what that is the 4412's will sound damn impressive but not at all smooth.

Rob

Well, notwithstanding a RTA, Zilch.. I would be lost without my trusty test Lp which does channel identification as well as phase amongst other things. I test the treble and bass seperately and have been surprised more than once after mucking around with things. Think it cost me $2.00.

Bernard

OK, Guys, I can see how my simple threads get complicated. Here's what I have done so far.

1. No bi-amping (waiting for the ashley) I agree that biamping will not "fix" a problem for lack of bass.

2. I believe my room is fairly dampened. Carpet on the floor and furniture. I'm not going to buy sonic marketing.

3. I took the 43's off the puny plant stands, as they simply are to heavy for these. Now they just sit on the carpet, much easier to move around.

4. All the pots were at +3 when received from Paul B. They now are backed way down, this has improved the overall bass considerably.

5. Changed the overall positioning of the speakers themselves. One sits in the "tv hole" per Giskard. This has also helped.

6. Both green w/black stripe wires are confirmed going to the black terminal on the woofer. All wiring from amps double checked as correct. I have yet to do the "battery" test.

7. Don't get me wrong, this set sounds really nice, it's just that the 4412's had slightly more bass punch. My ears were used to them. My 4333's also "lacked " the bass punch of these little guys. I have yet to try the 4350's recently acquired, only 'caus I can't move them without a crane

8. I'm sure an RTA would help, Anybody have one "for rent" OR where does a person buy one? Recommendations please.

9. Not running a turntable so unable to test via LP

Other Than that, ALL is good on this Easter evening and hope alls well for everybody else as well!!
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Rob, THe 4412's were simply sitting there, waiting for my back recovery to move them into storage. Werent even hooked up
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Thread Information