Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with bass response

I would still do the battery test.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

new placement

This seems to help. I took 'em off the tiny plant stands and per Giskard put the right one into the tv hole. My wife agrees this helps with the "decorating nightmare" as she so bluntly puts it. John, When I got these the setting were all +++, so I backed them all down to zero. Now will turn them all off and bring them up one at a time, to see if this help more. BTW, what settings are yours at and do you rent out that RTA?

Thx fellas...
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Is it possible that what you are hearing is just a different frequency balance between the little and big guys?

If the 4312s fall off at the mids and highs compared to the big boys, especially if you have them exadurated, you end up turning up the volume further enhancing the bass and this could be perceived as enhanced bass response.

A sine wave generator and accurate sound level meter with linear weighting could tell if this were the case.

P.S. Send those 4350's over here and I'll check the bass for you compared to my L112's.

OH, and the woofs are refoams only

Hey Todd, The 50's are parked (literally) in the garage. I'm thinkin' about bringing them up to Sturgis at the bar. Just need to weigh the idiot-drunk factor

Steve Gonzales

Bi-amped

You're gonna like them better when they are bi-amped. There will be alot more control over the LF at least.

RIP 2009
    My 4315's are labeled +/- an extra line past 3 each direction. So I have UHF at - 3.5, HF at -2 and MF at 0. I'd suggest as you mentioned, turning them all down, then start with the LF at the volume you want. After that, bring each level control up to where it sounds balanced.

John

regarding this battery test

If we know the solid green is positive AND
    green with black stripe is negative per JBL spec

AND the transducer clearly has a red and black terminal AND the wires are properly connected, what is a battery test going to tell me?

a barroom that allows smoking will destroy those 4350's faster than the drunks.smoke will get into everything.why waste a pair of those on a place where no one is listening anyway?

Jim, "thinkin' about it" are the key words. You're absolutely correct. However, this isn't your normal dark, dingy, smokey hole in the wall bar. We're talkin' 40 foot ceilings and open doors, etc. See the picture at www.oneeyedjackssaloon.com

either way, I'd have to crane them up to the ceiling and that would be a hugh effort. I could just build a new house to accomodate them however...

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    If we know the solid green is positive AND
    green with black stripe is negative per JBL spec

AND the transducer clearly has a red and black terminal AND the wires are properly connected, what is a battery test going to tell me?
    A battery allows you to see the cone movement and judge the polarity. If a woofer is designed to move outward when given a positive charge applied to the + terminal, you can apply that with a battery. Example: take a 1.5v battery, connect wires from the + battery terminal to the + of the speaker and do the same for the -, If you do that to both speakers and you find that one of them moves the opposite direction, you know that they are wired out of phase and that will cause cancellation, especially in the LF region, amongst other things.

BTW, this is a momentary test, do not leave the battery hooked up, just touch it for a second. And please use a 1.5v, it's scary to use a 9v IMO

Thx Steve, I'll give it a try the next time I have use of the crane

Why would the woofs be internally wired incorrectly from the factory?

Steve Gonzales
    I don't think that would be the case. If they have ever been removed for any reason, like a refoam, well, there is a chance, it happens to the best of us.

Well, Paul had them refoamed once to the best of my knowledge, so I do suppose anything is possible. Thx for the info!!

Steve Gonzales
    You are very welcome Sir, you'll get it figured out and be lovin' them soon. i went through changes setting up my tri-amped system, but once I dialed it in, WOW! .

Thread Information