Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with bass response

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    Well this is really getting confusing now...
    If you read the JBL Pro link I posted, it clears it up pretty well.

Widget

Yes, Thank you sir, it did help. Not to beat a dead horse anylonger , my Phonic tells me both speakers are now "in phase", it sounds good" So I'll keep it as is and enjoy the music...
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

So I'll keep it as is and enjoy the music...

Thats what it's all about. Crank them puppies up and enjoy.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Now that you know that they were out of phase in respect to each other, you can fix your pair.
    Not to beat a dead horse anylonger , my Phonic tells me both speakers are now "in phase", it sounds good" So I'll keep it as is and enjoy the music...
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    Thats what it's all about. Crank them puppies up and enjoy.
    While the lure of refreshing beverages may be compelling, y'all are quittin' much too soon.

We now have one woofer wired backwards, as the battery test revealed it was connected correctly, according to JBL convention. So, now, the phasing is incorrect with the other drivers in that cabinet.

Battery check the other woofer, and the fact that something else is still connected wrongly will be revealed....

What's the system? 4343? Time to check the schematic to see how it's s'posed to be wired with respect to phase/polarity....

EDIT: Yup, unless I'm reading it wrong, woofer's supposed to be out-of-phase with the other three drivers. Follow the black input connections here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

[Phonic don't know that, OR the JBL polarity convention....]

OK, ZMAN, I'm backin' up the crane, and will break out the flashlight and check all wiring, etc...

OK, ZMAN, I'm backin' up the crane, and will break out the flashlight and check all wiring, etc...
    I will check the other componants. I am to assume that all solid color leads go to + terminals. So if another one is reversed on the mid, HF or tweeter, that could screw this all up as well. I'll check it out, I love playing with my crane...
    The positive terminal is black. "Positive voltage applied to the black terminal will cause outward cone/diaphragm movement".

Crossover networks are wired so as to keep the phase correct based on the network topology. Black striped wire from each crossover output goes to black terminal on each driver, solid wire goes to red driver terminal. Yellow pair is HF, white pair is MF, green pair is LF.

Then do the battery check on the system inputs. Black is still positive. If a cone moves in when positive voltage is applied to black speaker system input, something is miswired internally....possibly at the crossover's input from the external terminals. The red and black crossover input wires should match the red and black system input terminals.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

THANK YOU, I will try this first

THANK YOU, I will try this first
    Man.. I sure hope there isn't a lake too close to where you live.. I'd be in it by now !! .. Hang in there, you'll get it right eventually.

Problem Solved

See my post on DIY

Battery Test Re-Dux

Thanks to all

As previously mentioned, rec'd the "Paul B's" today, dusted them off and hooked them up. What I cannot understand is why the little shitter 4412's have better bass in my home than the big boy 4343's? These are not bi-amped (yet). Why is this and how can I get more bass out of these?
    Sorry for my poor english but I smell a couple of idea to help you.

First your wood stand under 4343 is bad principe and unstabilize the speaker.

2-- the speakers is go down freq realy more than 4412 so more exication of modal room is created : and it is more tricky to position in room.

3-- your 4412 is a Bazooka set-up you put in cavity so the pressure is upper strongly... (try to invert position with your big 4343)

4-- dont minimize the realy realy problem to the #$%%?%??&?&*?&* old used switch on back 4343 to permit to switch bi amp is created a really loose response and power ( manys guy expose this problem and in first the great master greg Timber) (I personnaly exposed the difference result mesure in thread 4343 network modification.)

5-- the calibration of the rest of L-pad determine the importance to feeling of snap bass by tinuing balance sound.

6-- push up your big 4343 in more inch of the floor, according to greg timber the midbass is less flat.

7 ---

Thank you for that B&K, my 43's are just on the floor now, but probably need to be on a correct stand which I am searching for.

not a polarity internal connections question agains....

The other woofer is per spec. Green w/ black wire to - terminal
    Solid Green to + terminal
    OH NO !!!!

Eternal drama...

I'm called JBL In california headquarter on this question and the red post is really positive signal and black is negative signal...

the reason why the driver is move backward is the coil is wired inverse way than standart. so your 15" inch driver is normally backward if correct connected.

so: it is not a circontantial error...

but check the rest of the drivers according to original spec...

p.s. your top upgrade 4343 is the cancellation of the bi-amp switch on back. this is a major lack of sound .

Quote Originally Posted by B&KMan

4-- dont minimize the realy realy problem to the #$%%?%??&?&*?&* old used switch on back 4343 to permit to switch bi amp is created a really loose response and power ( manys guy expose this problem and in first the great master greg Timber) (I personnaly exposed the difference result mesure in thread 4343 network modification.)
    here : the test difference after (upper graph) and before cancel switch of bi-amp on back of the 4343

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=113
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for that B&K, my 43's are just on the floor now, but probably need to be on a correct stand which I am searching for.
    the rule is simple : hard as possible and maximum weight & stability stand create a real better transfert impact and less coloration.

I invite you to keep a few time to explore many many points on this regards and in regards of you 4343...
    this forum is really plenty questions and solutions in regards of your 4343.

My bass is back and with a bang

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    FWIW, out of 7 pair, not a one had good bass until bi-amped, then look out!
    Today was the day that Bi-amping took place in my home. Kinda like the first kiss thing. Last week, after "fixing" the phasing challenge and last night re-wiring female XLR to male RCA for my phase linear, I was ready to go. A BIG THANK YOU to KEN P. who not only supplied the Ashly crossover but helped me with the dang wiring. I know some of you guys are thinkin' no big deal but to the beginner, it's a big deal. Just remember your roots... When I first turned it all on, (kinda like launching a spacecraft) the whole thing sounded a bit strange, THEN after tweaking the Ashly controls and turning down the midrange on the 43's....

TRIPLE JAW DROP. Holy shit, I'm never going back to internal crossovers again. Even the wife said "honey, your system sounds really good" Well that's a first. The BASS is really there!! I'm a happy camper. Next up is to try my "new" 4350's (break out the crane boys)

"It just won't end" Happy beer thirty to all.............

Thread Information