Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with bass response

Need help with bass response

As previously mentioned, rec'd the "Paul B's" today, dusted them off and hooked them up. What I cannot understand is why the little shitter 4412's have better bass in my home than the big boy 4343's? These are not bi-amped (yet). Why is this and how can I get more bass out of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

You've pissed off the 4412's (my favorite bookshelf), so they're showin' you what they can REALLY do!

[Check the phase of your woofers with the ol' 1.5V battery test....]

Thx, Z, I'll give that a try. These came stock as far as I know, but will check it anyway. Missing the thunderous bass they are.

norealtalent
    FWIW, out of 7 pair, not a one had good bass until bi-amped, then look out!

Hey Dude, Yea even my 4333's don't seem to have the bass punch as the little 4412's

I have a Phase Linear 400 just like the one in your Pics! The speakers look gorgeous! I have never used the 400 other than to drive some 4313Bs. As that what you are using on the 4343s?

Placement will be a big issue. It's not unusual that the smaller speakers have more "punch"...that's what you get with the 40-60 hz range.

The Big Boys will have more low end room shaking bass...but you gotta be in the right spot to hear/feel it. You are probably experiencing room modes with peaks and nulls. Stand up against the wall and you'll probably hear it. Ken Pachkowsky knows that well with his Westlake HR-1's when I heard them in his Palm Desert home.

You might need bass traps or at least different placement...such as diagonally across a corner so they're not firing into parallel walls.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Here's the current setup, a couple of MAC daddy's and a tube preamp by Audio Horizons. The PL 400 is awaiting the Ashley that I bought from Ken P. Then I'll do my first bi-amp setup. I do notice that when I stick my head into the hole between the 4343's where a tv could go, the bass is more pronounced, so maybe it's all placement, I'll have to play around with it but hate to open these cabs up just to check wiring. I have to presume it's correct coming from Paul B. He was the original owner. One refoam. Maybe the woofs are wired backwards when he replaced them? The singer imaging sounds correct. Smack dab in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve Gonzales

Question

I wonder if when he switches to biamp mode on the crossover, if there still a coil/inductor in the LF circuit? If not, shouldn't he be able to do the battery test using the LF input terminals, without removing the woofers?. Dunno, just a thought.

Sweet lookin' set up there BTW.

On a woofer you have an Inductor in series. The battery test should work just fine. The hf drivers will be protected by the series caps.

Rob

Without re-opening the whole phase issue again. I just need a simple answer to:

I popped the woofer. I have a green w black strip wire going to the black terminal and a solid green wire going to the red terminal. I'm not finding a schematic, but know it's here someplace. Is this correct?

THX in advance

RIP 2009
    Green/black going to black speaker terminal sounds normal. Even if it were out of phase in the cabinet, this would mainly be noticeable at the LF crossover frequency, and not the low bass response. To have phase affect the general LF output when both cabinets are operating, a more likely scenario would be that one cabinet LF driver were wired the reverse of the other cabinet - this would definitely affect LF perception with both cabinets operating.

John

THX John

Green with black stripe to black terminal
    Solid green to red terminal

So they are correct in both cabinets. I'll have to play around with positioning. Like moving a Mack truck...

Obsolete
    Put one of them where you have those 4412's and see what happens.

RIP 2009
    Is there a chance the LF drivers are new recones and not broken in yet? Also, where do you have the crossover levels set at? On my 4315's, if they're all set to "0", the MF/HF/UHF are definitely too strong, making the LF sound weak. When I finally used an RTA to check the response, I was surprised how much I had to cut those levels to bring them in balance with the LF.

John

Thread Information