Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with bass response

RTA - Behringer UltraCurve Pro DEQ2496. $250 at Guitar Center or your local pro sound dealer. Talk 'em into throwing in the $50 ECM8000 mic and cable for free. You'll also need XLR cables to hook it up, and a mini-boom mic stand, so count on spending $300 total for the complete setup....

Thank You sir for the rec!!
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Hi,

About the smaller JBLs, are the connected to anything while in the room not playing? Might seem like a dumb question but unless they are shorted at the rear terminals or connected to an amp the 4343's will drive them like a passive radiator. Better still take them out of the room. Yes this is not a bunny joke.

If you have already done this please digregard this post..

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    OK, Guys, I can see how my simple threads get complicated. Here's what I have done so far.

1. No bi-amping (waiting for the ashley) I agree that biamping will not "fix" a problem for lack of bass.

2. I believe my room is fairly dampened. Carpet on the floor and furniture. I'm not going to buy sonic marketing.

3. I took the 43's off the puny plant stands, as they simply are to heavy for these. Now they just sit on the carpet, much easier to move around.

4. All the pots were at +3 when received from Paul B. They now are backed way down, this has improved the overall bass considerably.

5. Changed the overall positioning of the speakers themselves. One sits in the "tv hole" per Giskard. This has also helped.

6. Both green w/black stripe wires are confirmed going to the black terminal on the woofer. All wiring from amps double checked as correct. I have yet to do the "battery" test.

7. Don't get me wrong, this set sounds really nice, it's just that the 4412's had slightly more bass punch. My ears were used to them. My 4333's also "lacked " the bass punch of these little guys. I have yet to try the 4350's recently acquired, only 'caus I can't move them without a crane

8. I'm sure an RTA would help, Anybody have one "for rent" OR where does a person buy one? Recommendations please.

9. Not running a turntable so unable to test via LP

Other Than that, ALL is good on this Easter evening and hope alls well for everybody else as well!!

Obsolete
    Are you going to fill that TV hole with something nice and big that will displace all that air space and create a nice flat surface for the 4343's to load up off? It doesn't look like a very fun room to try and set up big monitors in from that one picture. What are the dimensions again?

Have you moved around the room while listening to identify where the balanced spots are?

9. Not running a turntable so unable to test via LP
    Test CD's exist for the same purpose. I thought everyone had one of these ... great for doing simple and easy verification tests. The one I have is put out by Stereophile. Maybe a friend of yours has one ?

...and hooked them up.
    How?

Indulge me, but how is the crossover switch set on the rear?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Room Pics

Room dimensions are 23 * 19 with a 12 foot ceiling

Switch set to internal crossover on both speaks

Obsolete
    It looks like a tough room... nice too.

Certainly not a studio...

What he said. Hey that's a nice looking room!!

Rob

Ya know, we could have a "help steve set up party" if anybody is in or coming to the greater phx area. Thank you

Steve,

Great looking home. I know this might sound strange...but how do the speakers sound when you are in a different room? Big balanced bass as compared to the rest of the relative tonality? If so, keep moving them if possible to find the best location ( yeah...like that's easy). Usually that's diagonal across a corner so they're not firing into parallel walls...causing cancellations(nulls). If you stand right against a wall, I bet you'll hear plenty of bass.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thank you, My wife and I love the "new" place. If I stick my head in the tv hole where the right speaker is, there is plenty of deep bass. None of this is "bad". Now, I believe it is a matter of fine tuning. I'll get to audio nirvana soon. That's the fun part of this hobby.

Obsolete
    If I stick my head in the tv hole where the right speaker is, there is plenty of deep bass.
    No doubt...

Follow up

I just picked up one of these gems.(ebay) This unit has a built in phase checker, so plugged it in and low and behold if my left channel was out of phase. Now, I have to say that right now, until I bi-amp, the left channel wire is spliced because I was too cheap to go buy some new wire.. (The Canare is en-route.) BEFORE switching anything around, I double checked my wiring and I found it to be correct. So I then switched the wires where they are spliced, turned it back on and the Phonic now says the left channel is in phase. The bass has really picked up . So, I have to assume that a transducer is incorrectly wired. Next step is to return the spliced wire back to correct and then switch the wires on the woofer and recheck. Hopefully that will show in phase, I'll report my findings.

Thread Information