Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Benchmark DAC-1 - Need help and opinions guys!

New temporary Digs

The systems temporary home till the house gets built. Also a picture of the Benchmark.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Now THAT's interesting...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Now THAT's interesting...

Trust your eye to catch that . This was the result of a mono setup. I was doing some experimenting with the dac when I shot the photo. What do you use a magnifying glass?

Ken

Nothing wrong with a mono test - just make sure you've got the timing delay dialed-in (if using FFT).

I'm intrigued with the deep/wide cut at ~125Hz - must be some nice room coupling going on there!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I'm intrigued with the deep/wide cut at ~125Hz - must be some nice room coupling going on there!!
    To tell you the truth Bo, there is so many ways to tweak this crossover it can get overwhelming. There are +-10db gain pots on all 8 channels. Both the left and right channels have overall gains as well. Of course, so does the BSS 960.

This room is far superior to the house in Palm Desert. I can hardly wait to build the new house. The living room has been designed to have odd angles including the ceiling. Should all but eliminate standing waves. Maybe I will be able to dump the EQ all together. Would that be great or what?

Ken

Ken,

Sorry to see the sad state of your 'temporary set up'. I don't know how you can tolerate such a thing.

Actually, that's a lovely set up that many here would die for! I especially like the cabinets under the westies- very clean. I read your (earlier) posts regarding your current architectural endeavors and it sounds amazing. Please keep us (drooling) members posted.

Talking mono test?

I thought this was a mono test:

http://www.genzymediagnostics.com/pr...sales_mono.pdf

(Sorry, Bo.)

Ken, it looks like your room might be a lot tighter than at Palm Desert. I imagine that results in many different challenges in set up.

Do you like the room better? Do the Westies feel confined? Do you feel the DAC opened up the room in some way?
    Out.

Interesting...

I'd sure try to achieve a flat response using the crossover, and then tweak to final with the EQ. You might get less phase distortion that way - don't know for certain.

And, dump the BSS 960..?? I might just have the proper environmentally sensative recycle channel for you, being in California and all. Let me know...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Ken, it looks like your room might be a lot tighter than at Palm Desert. I imagine that results in many different challenges in set up.

Do you like the room better? Do the Westies feel confined?do you feel the DAC opened up the room in some way?
    The answer is yes to all. The room is much tighter. Although "severely" confined, the bass response is much better. As you may recall, I had a serious case of bass cancellation due to the shape of the room in PD?

Ken

Interesting...

I'd sure try to achieve a flat response using the crossover, and then tweak to final with the EQ.

And, dump the BSS 960..?? I might just have the proper environmentally sensative recycle channel for you, being in California and all. Let me know...
    Exactly what I did in PD Bo. Have to start from scratch here. The BSS is your's bud. I got it brand new for 700 bucks. Quite the deal. Not so much as a mark on it.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Ken,

Sorry to see the sad state of your 'temporary set up'. I don't know how you can tolerate such a thing.
    Yes, it's good to be reminded how fortunate one is. I did a ton of buying and selling on Ebay to put together the coin for this. The rack cabs turned out ok. I would have loved to have been able to get Regis or a couple of the other members to do the cabs for me. Would they not look great done in burled bookmatched walnut?

Then they could almost pass for furniture!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Yes, it's good to be reminded how fortunate one is. I did a ton of buying and selling on Ebay to put together the coin for this.
    Ken

Yep. I'm sure you did....and when it happens to a nice guy- I'm just as thrilled as they are.

Oh...and "yes!"- burled walnut would be icing on the cake.

I think your post is important because we often forget where we are- only where we're headed. We get so caught up in the "next thing" that we rarely appreciate what we have - at this very moment. Steve G's sig says it best: 'enjoy the journey'.

If I may go a little deeper- the same could be said of this forum. We are so wrapped up in what's wrong with it- we fail to see how great it actually is. Right now.

Thank you for sharing, Ken. I want to see that room when it's done. Heck- I wouldn't mind a few shots of it as it's being built!

I also noticed how casually one can set things on top of the Westlakes without any vibrations, etc. Norealtalent had stuff on his too- and I guess due to the excellent job Westlake has done with regard to construction- it's a standing wave eating machine.

Take care up there

Nice review, Ken. Makes me think I should accelerate my plans for a serious digital front end.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Nice review, Ken. Makes me think I should accelerate my plans for a serious digital front end.

David
    Well, you know more about this technology than I do, but it impressed the heck out of me. I was just listening to some Count Basie and Frank Sinatra "Live at the Sands" through it. Very nice indeed.

Ken

Ken,

I understand the DAC1 has switchable variable output that can be contolled from the front panel.

As a matter of determining the actual sonic footprint of the DAC1 it would be interesting to gain your impressions of it when bypassing the preamp and graphic equalizer if you attempted to do that at any stage.

This little exercise would also tell you what the preamp and graphic are doing to the signal path. Perhaps the preamp and graphic can be switched from the front panel for bypass?

Thread Information