Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmark DAC-1 - Need help and opinions guys!

Benchmark DAC-1 - Need help and opinions guys!

I am contemplating buying the following:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/

Does anyone have experience with this dac?

Thanks

You might find it a bit clinical but probably not with all that wood in your Horns. (In a hi end review of a mod'd unit that had BeeBee tweaks everywhere)

Ken, Have a look at some of the Musical Fidelity stuff or the Apogee MiniMe

My free tip of the day : Never buy a dac or anything else for that matter without hearing it first.

Second tip: Never ask for an opinion about something your gonna spend bucks of money on.

Ian

Thanks for the valued opinion. Yes, the thought of buying one without trying it out is keeping me at bay. I have yet to talk to anyone who has one. My understanding is a good dac can make quite a difference on a high end system. I must admit to being curious...

Ken

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ...My free tip of the day : Never buy a dac or anything else for that matter without hearing it first...
    I have to agree with Ian in theory. In reality I sometimes buy without hearing first if buying is the only way to hear it. That is how I have learned what I know, experiencing it for myself. The TAD is a prime example, you loved it, I didn't. What sounds "good" has many angles to be percieved from and are all subjectively based in our own experiences. My moto is to only buy what I know I can get my money back out of if I don't like it. That moto has never let me down.

I hear ya

Thanks for the input. I am struggling with the decision. I think I could sell it for a small loss if I don't like it. I could buy one direct from the manufacturer with a 30 day money back guaranty, but it would cost me 250.00 bucks more.

Hmmm

Ken

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    ...I think I could sell it for a small loss if I don't like it...
    Ken
    My greatest teacher always said,"Knowledge is expensive." With every single day, I find it to be priceless...

Well, if you have a lot of CD's and listen often and there is no other way to do it then I say go for it! I just popped over a grand for a cartridge without hearing it.... sometimes you just have to gamble.

BTW, the cartridge turned out great.. a Clearaudio

If you buy a Benchmark and don't like it, you can always sell it on eBay. I am absolutely amazed at the prices these units command. Almost as much as a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem
    If you buy a Benchmark and don't like it, you can always sell it on eBay. I am absolutely amazed at the prices these units command. Almost as much as a new one.
    Yes, I have noticed that.

Ken

The Benchmark is very gutsy and has a sound stage to die for.
    I don't know a damned thing about the Benchmark, but I do know that when I used my external DAC, the soundstage opened up in the direction of a good analog front end. It certainly didn't make my CDs sound as open as analog, but another step closer is always a good thing.

Widget

Interesting

Ian

Thats good news. I am not sure why you deleted your post but thanks for the report. I do believe I will try one out. Unfortunately, the one I was looking at got sold.

Your post does confirm what I have read and heard about this dac. I have read reports that it compares to dacs costing thousands of dollars.

I am going to order one from Benchmark directly.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I am going to order one from Benchmark directly.

You should try someone like Sweetwater or some other outfit. You might avoid full price... :dont-know
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam

You should try someone like Sweetwater or some other outfit. You might avoid full price... :dont-know
    Hi Bo. The reason for a direct purchase is the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Have you read about this product at all? It almost sounds to good to be true? I have had contact with 3 guys that say it was the most significant upgrade they have ever done. Were talking high end systems as well. I am definately going to try one. I ordered it today. Needless to say, (for what its worth) you guys will be the first to get my impressions.

Nice to hear from you.

Ken

Hate Mail ?? Really ?

Hi Ken,

It would appear that from recent hate mail my opinions are unwelcome.

Since your in box is /was full I posted the honest truth.
    That is unfortunate Ian. As much as I like this place, the day I can't voice an opinion is the last day I will spend on this forum. Sending you a PM.

Ken

Thread Information