Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2235 mystery

Anthony L100
    Update tomorrow, thanks guys

Anthony L100

Resolved!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony L100
    Update tomorrow, thanks guys
    Today I removed the dustcap, always a slightly hit and miss affair if you want perfection. With 20+ years to cure that "Bostick" was gonna be pretty tough. It came off OK with the surgical scalpel and loads of patience. Hey presto, a loose mass ring (thanks Widget and Edgewound). It was detached about a third of the way round, but now I know what this sounds like, so all good experience. I removed the mass ring and was quite surprised to see how little glue had (not) held it in place. It looks like a cyanoacrylate adhesive, and probably only covered about 30% of the circumferance of the mass ring (actual contact). I cleaned the ring and the surface of the V/C former and glued it in place with epoxy. I don't think it's gonna move now! I robbed a 2206 recone kit I had of the dustcap and glued it in position. Everything is now as it should be, after a day to cure I will run it up and report back. I think it's going to be fine, although the dustcap glue line will not match the original (quite)! I would just like to say a big thankyou to all who contributed with all possible scenarios covered. This forum is awesome Tony.

Great!

Way to go Tony . Glad we could help.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete
    Cool!

I removed the mass ring and was quite surprised to see how little glue had (not) held it in place. It looks like a cyanoacrylate adhesive, and probably only covered about 30% of the circumferance of the mass ring (actual contact). Tony.
    Huh! Some reconers might be afraid of glueing works just above the VC gap. :dont-know

Anthony L100

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Huh! Some reconers might be afraid of glueing works just above the VC gap. :dont-know
    Hi Guido, i'm not sure these 2235s have ever been reconed. The glue lines around the caps were identical and perfect, so an expert job or original factory (which I suspect). When you consider the weight of the mass ring and the inerta applied to the whole shebang, it's amazing they didn't let go sooner. Anyway, job done, not entirely happy with the cosmetics (dustcap is blacker) but 100% functionally. I can see why the 4430s are held in some esteem, THEY ROCK, I think I am begining to understand the enthusiam of certain board members with two way designs and their development. It's great to absorb everybody's subjective assessment of different designs and their merits.

I can see why the 4430s are held in some esteem, THEY ROCK, I think I am begining to understand the enthusiam of certain board members with two way designs and their development.

Thread Information